TurfFX - rectangular area -- how to?

You mean like these

The edge of a tall grass field
TRS2019_96720 grass field edge.JPG

A small patch of grass
TRS2019_96720 grass circle.JPG

One nice thing about the TurfFX is that there is no hard edge, Unless you're simulating a manicured lawn with crisp cut edges, the TurfFX has a more natural gradually thinning edge.
The size of the small patch of grass is not only determined by the radius of the tool but also by the turf density radius in the TurfFX parameters. Even though they are described in the WIKI, only by playing with the various parameters and seeing the actual affect it has on the effect can you figure out what works best for your needs.

I like the fact that there is no hard edge but I can't seem to stop grass from popping up many meters away in the middle of the track. Guess I'll have to do a bunch more trial and error but so far it's mostly been error.

Well, the next train passing by will quickly dissuade that grass although it can be pretty persistent so several passes might be needed.
Stop placing the grass several meters short of the eventual limit and let the natural overshoot add its fill. Then place some very short grass closer to the track, short enough that it doesn't really show though the ballast.

There is also a height parameter that allows you to shorten selected parts.

Ground texturing is more of an art form and getting it to be convincing over long distances takes more than practice. It takes a certain skill set that I don't have very much of but can appreciate when I see it done well.

I thought cascade's comment was absolutely hilarious and I really appreciated the time and effort he took to compose it.

big-g --

I've got the turf growing now in rectangular areas. I followed cascade's instructions. What he omitted to say is that the turf only grows when the moon is in the third quarter and Venus is in ascension. (Actually it was Chris who provided the critical information.)

Perhaps N3V are amalgamating with Farming Simulator and we will have to start rearing pigs for slurry which we spray on the ground, after ploughing of course!

In all seriousness sounds like some comprehensive instructions needed from N3V. I'm currently working on a route through farming country and the fields and plains either side of the line will be either crops or wild grass. I need to know if I can place different TurfX for different crop types - barley, wheat, corn, oats etc. What about root crops such as beet or potatoes?

Heh! Great question. I had to go and check.
Confirming that blades of grass (rushes, etc.) stand vertically - and do not tilt - on slopes in TRS2019.
i.e. still look convincing.
Am just loving this new feature. Can only imagine what a great route-builder like yourself could do with this remarkable World-builder!

Well, I’m not known for route building, but I agree the inclusion of TurfFX in Trainz is a great move even if the control UI needs to be made more intuitive.

Last edited:
Don't be so modest - Your 'Kauai 2008 for T:ANE' is still remarkable for its time and TRS2004 origins and now TRS2019's KSC2 is a great showcase for many of your assets.
Am also impressed by the 2nd TurfFX/ clutter image proffered by Martinvk in #21 above - I had to double-check that is was indeed created in TRS2019, as evidenced by the gridline in the top right-hand corner.

Back