What are modern laptops like at running TRS2006 or TRS2004?

colhad

QR Clyde/GMs
The title asks the question.

If I can buy a decent laptop at a cheap price that will run the two programs I'd settle for that.

Not that computer savvy so hopefully someone will know.

Oh no ... Don't revert back to the 04, 06 programs, like this ol' dinosaur (me)

A desktop Windows PC will be so much better

TS12 will run on a 32 bit OS ... but T:ANE and TS19 need a 64 bit OS

I was running 06 and getting 9-16 FPS on an integrated graphics Windows laptop, and I still think you would need a PC in at the very least $1000+ range, and even more money for one with a real video card. A laptop used on your lap will clog with dust and lint, and cause genital sterility from heat. My Windows laptop never left the desk, and still clogged with debris ... Where as a desktop can be cleaned out easily with a daily blast of air and vaaccuumming

I am not a fan of Apple MAC DELL products

Last edited:
The title asks the question.

If I can buy a decent laptop at a cheap price that will run the two programs I'd settle for that.

Not that computer savvy so hopefully someone will know.

Assuming that you want to run 04 and 06 for their own sake, most anything recent will do, I'd think. My 3-4 year old Dell Inspiron 1500 (I7, 8 Gb, 1Tb drive, Intel graphics) does a competent job with 12. Haven't tried anything earlier. It is a little too slow for T:ANE although I have that installed for when I'm on the road. I have the options all turned most of the way down and it still is a bit jerky. Not really any worse than 10 was. Come to think, I haven't run 10 on this desktop - something to try on a winter evening.

:B~)

TS12 is the one to run. Anything before TS2010 only uses one core, and your laptop has at least two. TS12 also gives better frame rates than TRS2004 using the same assets and viewing distance.

TANE will run on anything with Intel integrated graphics 4000 or above but you have to choose your assets very carefully. Middleton for laptops runs on a 1600 by 900 display, Middleton with canal needs to be run in a window.

There is a version of Middleton somewhere that runs on a TS12 machine.

In the states dellrefurbished.com has a cat A i7 laptop Dell precision M4800 for $550 this morning, their normal Cat A i5 laptops are a little more pricey. Last time I tried they will upgrade to win 10 for free but read up how to do it on the web. Valid win 10 licences are available for $30 again search the web.

Cheerio John

Back