How to Make Spring Switches

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
Spring switches can be found on railroads in many places, such as the end of a passing siding. When building a route based on a railroad that used/uses spring switches, we can't find any way to get working spring switches to work. However, there's a few pieces of content on the DLS that will make spring switches: as_left_pr, <KUID:216981:23003>, as_right_pr, <KUID:216981:23002>, as_left, <KUID:216981:23001>, and as_right, <KUID:216981:23000>, all made by Kemal. It took a few minutes of trial and error, but I managed to find it out. Here's a picture of a little test track using the content listed above:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

At the close end of the switch, I placed 'as_right_pr', with the purple arrow facing the switch, 'as_left_pr' on the siding where the diesel is with the purple arrow facing the switch, and 'as_right_pr' on the mainline next to the siding with the purple arrow facing the switch. I drove the diesel towards the switch and the switch automatically switch from the mainline to the siding my diesel was on. As soon as I crossed over the switch, the switch automatically switched back to the mainline. I can also confirm that this will work with signals using JointedRail's Smart Signal script. So if you have a spring switch somewhere on your route, get these pieces of content on the DLS.

There is another auto switch on the DLS. It was made for the switchbacks on the DLS. I didn't make it, I think it was made by Peter Denherdt, (spelling). it acquired my KUID when the 2004 DRH route was uploaded to the DLS with his consent . I think it is adaptable for any switch lever just by adding the GS file..

Look for <kuid2:44700:24001:1> "DHR Auto Switch Lever". It has been there several years and may need up-versioning from 2.9, although it still works in T:ane as part of the updated DHR route.

Peter

Isn't a "Spring Switch", one where the wheels actually force the points open, and a spring repositions the points after every wheel pass's them, akin to a Trainz turnout that is wrongly aligned ?

There is another auto switch on the DLS. It was made for the switchbacks on the DLS. I didn't make it, I think it was made by Peter Denherdt, (spelling). it acquired my KUID when the 2004 DRH route was uploaded to the DLS with his consent . I think it is adaptable for any switch lever just by adding the GS file..

Look for <kuid2:44700:24001:1> "DHR Auto Switch Lever". It has been there several years and may need up-versioning from 2.9, although it still works in T:ane as part of the updated DHR route.

Peter

These assets don't require modifying the .gs file, so it can be used on the built-in tracks, which are locked.

Isn't a "Spring Switch", one where the wheels actually force the points open, and a spring repositions the points after every wheel pass's them, akin to a Trainz turnout that is wrongly aligned ?

If signals are used for the switch, and these assets aren't used, going thru the switch on the track the points are not aligned to will result in a signal showing red. This poses a problem if you have a session where one of the rules are that if you pass a signal showing red, the session terminates. When these assets are used in the session that that rule is used, the session will not terminate as the switch automatically align with the track you're on, automatically changing the signal from red to green, saving you from passing a red signal and failing the session.

EDIT: I've been toying around with the idea of a simple route that uses these assets to show off how they work. I think I'll start work on it today or in the near future.

This looks very handy. They would be great for the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland route. The real railway has a large number of what are termed "Train operated trailable points" (or TOTPs), which are spring switches by another name.

This looks very handy. They would be great for the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland route. The real railway has a large number of what are termed "Train operated trailable points" (or TOTPs), which are spring switches by another name.

I just uploaded a route yesterday that shows how spring switches can be used for passing sidings, reverse loops, and wyes. It's 'Spring Switch Demo Route', <KUID:289739:102004>.

Back