Northbay County

Is there a modern version of this route? I found one on the DLS, but upon downloading it, while it contains all of the route, the user who has remade it, and added in huge amounts of other track throughout the map, effectively making it a totally different map. Is the original map working in TANE available?

I'd imagine Northbay County to be set in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies, due to the presence of the Gilpin railroad. Would you agree?

I imported this original built-in TS12 route into T:ANE. The route was great in its day, but definitely looks dated now.

I'm sure with a lot of work it can be cleaned up and updated, but sadly in my opinion it'll take a really huge amount of work and has been moved to my someday list.

I wanted to produce an updated one. Then narrowgauge saw I was working on it because I did make a forum post on it and said I couldn't upload it because I didn't get permission from him first. But the thing is, I would have NEVER uploaded it without his permission. I just wanted to finish the thing first and then ask him instead of the other way around. Its also called building hype and its a brilliant marketing tactic. So with it done already, I could start uploading the completed thing immediately instead having to build the entire thing and then wait forever for them to approve it. I still have my version of the route as well. I can always show you guys photos if you would like. I also can ask narrowgauge again and maybe he would reconsider. Either that or I could send it to him and let him upload it. I am sick and tired of people jumping to conclusions with what people are going to do with their content, etc. Not everyone is a plagiarist and a pirate people! I even said I would not upload it without his permission in my post so yeah right he read it!

The route has updated textures, some updated buildings, added new ones, new industries, updated track and a slightly different trackplan to the original route. It also includes a new wye in Rockport to allow entire consists to be turned. It originally was going to be used as a through way for trains to come onto the route and a way to get out but I made a reversing loop on the line instead. I got rid of that track that comes around the back of the 3ft gauge line through all those tunnels and that huge bridge to the Northbay Sawmill. I felt it was stupid and it also really confused the AI because it was in a loop. The AI in Trainz hates closed loops of track, that is something I learned quickly. It loves point to point railroads much more. It doesn't get confused with those.

Last edited:
I am sure many trainzers would welcome Northbay County in T:ANE. I would be over the moon, it is one of the best in my opinion.

Have the TS12 version in TRS19 and TANE.

Mainly about changing out the trees and newer track.

trs19_13.jpg

trs19_55.jpg

No more out dated than anything else available.

Harold

Last edited:
The track floats above the surface and so do the roads and lots of other objects. This wasn't as obvious in TS12, but really is a problem in T:ANE and up.

The track floats above the surface and so do the roads and lots of other objects. This wasn't as obvious in TS12, but really is a problem in T:ANE and up.
Most older routes don't come across the divide.

The assets have been obsoleted by the game engine.

Harold

Interesting version there. I added a whole lot to mine. A 3ft gauge 5 track yard is one of the things I added in and it Rockport made a huge operating difference! Yeah, you actually have a place to spot/park cars which helps a lot. I will take some screenshots tomorrow I guess. All those TRS19 screenshots look awesome. Honestly you can make almost ANYTHING look awesome in it. Pencil42's track is amazing to use by the way.

Last edited:
Guys

It is not completely 'my' route. I was team leader at the time and someone had to attach their kuid to it in order to upload. As team leader in a way I am a guardian of our labour of love and I am reluctant to see it eclipsed by a route with a similar name that has been heavily modded. In a way this is a historical creation, it was really the first time that Auran (now N3V) admitted that narrow gauge existed.

I propose a compromise, you are welcome to modify the route and upload it under your KUID, BUT I ask that you don't use a name that implies it is the original version. I would see no problem in using something like "Green Hills County". I also ask that in the config, you mention the original route and list its KUID. Perhaps we will see a series of "??????? County" routes.

Regarding Northbay and T:ane. If the route is updated to minimum T:ane and later requirements without any feature changes then it can be uploaded as 'Northbay County 2018'. Minimum means that where possible everything original remains but adjusted to remove errors, nothing more. It must remain visually the same. If you want to replace track and trees, no problems but it falls under the earlier name change.

Does that work. It seems a workable compromise.

Peter

Yeah thats a fine compromise! At least for me it is and I can definitely mention the original route in the config. I will probably upload my version then but I just have to figure out a name though, lol. Also, changing nothing on the original one isn't something I mind but I'm not sure if I will be the one to reupload it. Maybe though.

I usually have to make modifications to every route I download anyway to make it presentable if it isn't already and handle operations better if I want or need to. Whether it is placing more trackmarks, fixing track, etc.

Last edited:
bomberswarm.

What prompted your post? Didn't I make it clear enough that it was a team effort and that I did not consider it was 'my' personal creation? Would you have preferred it if I had said it was 'our' route, and listed the thirteen names. Any of the other members are free to take over guardianship, I do it because of the kuid requirement and also, no other team member has suggested that he or she should assume responsibility.

By your "Of course not" comment you imply that I am assuming authorship, I thought that the quotes around "my" would have indicated otherwise.

I do not appreciate your comment.

Peter

Will I fix Northbay County? Nope!

I leave that to others that have greater skills than I have, I am not a route builder by choice. I think that the naming conditions I set out in my earlier post allows someone to modify the route, my only concern is that the original route continues to exist, unmodified and under the same name, and other modified versions do not assume misleading names based on the original.

Northbay County is iconic, it was the first of its kind and I am just its caretaker. This brings up something to consider. I will be 90 in 3 months time and while I have no intention of dropping off the twig any time soon, I would like to find some person willing to take over from me.

Peter

Back