Hydrogen Powered Train

I don't quite seeing these as an option for Amtrak due to the long distances that the trains run, however, these with their 87 mph top speed and 600 miles between fill ups, they are perfect for the many commuter routes we.

I was thinking Atlantic Seaboard would be a natural, but yeah, a bit tougher in the west, unless they can refuel at passenger stops in that range...

I was thinking Atlantic Seaboard would be a natural, but yeah, a bit tougher in the west, unless they can refuel at passenger stops in that range...

Yeah the Northeast Corridor including the Downeaster to Portland Maine is perfect for this. The Downeaster can get 3 runs between fill ups, or basically fill it up during servicing on the turn around. The same with other Atlantic coast line runs such as those in the Carolinas or even the Cardinal and others in Pennsyvania, Connecticut and Upper State New York.

Hmmmm. This started me thinking.

Hydrogen gas currently costs from $US16 to $US20 per kilogram* (price is expressed per kilogram, not per litre) to produce.
Methane gas currently costs about $US1.40 per kilogram* to produce.

*Internet search - not always useful I know.

If you put a small herd of cows in the locomotive or, more likely, in a "cow tender" then I wonder how far you could travel on that. It could certainly be cheaper.

LOL! well now you got me thinking, pware. CNG? I commute via bus to work, and I noticed the other day that the busses going by the stop, and the one I ride, were all running Compressed Natural Gas. Any word on trains switching from Diesel to CNG?

Any word on trains switching from Diesel to CNG?

It all comes down to economics. Where I live the local transit has a huge fleet of CNG buses, which I also ride. But their new purchases will all be diesel powered because the latest diesel engines are far more efficient, use less fuel and are "greener" than the CNG engines. Plus the cost of CNG has risen compared to diesel.

Hydrogen gas currently costs from $US16 to $US20 per kilogram* (price is expressed per kilogram, not per litre) to produce.

If you put a small herd of cows in the locomotive or, more likely, in a "cow tender" then I wonder how far you could travel on that. It could certainly be cheaper.

rofl.gif

As Cascade eating a can of beans, he is whipping out his handy dandy pocket size Kilogram to Gallon slide rule converter ... Remember the Hindenburg disaster ... BOOM

Last edited:
Back