Replace A Faulty Texture

boleyd

In the Coal Country route I used a dirt texture by FFR. I have also used it in other routes. It was a very good representation of unkempt ground near rail road facilities and industrial installations. As such, manually replacing is not a rational option. TS19, unlike other versions, does show the name of the now faulty item. However Bulk Replace will not accept the name because it is now red - faulty. This program should be renamed Fawlty Towers. Given the use of this item in other routes, with which I have spent considerable time, this presents a serious issue. I have always stayed away from fixing things and sought alternatives. Given the unstable nature of the censors criteria it seems to be a never ending battle to just awaken and find another item deemed evil and dangerous to the health of the program. N3V washes their hands and offers no assistance such as being able to at least do a bulk replace.:(
Below are the alleged issues:

; <kuid:453099:100951> Validating <kuid:453099:100951>
! <kuid:453099:100951> VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
! <kuid:453099:100951> VE62: Required container 'texture-variants' is missing.
- <kuid:453099:100951> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'a15-normal.texture'.
- <kuid:453099:100951> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'a15.texture'.

CONFIG:

kuid <kuid:453099:100951>
username "FFR Grass & Mud 01"
trainz-build 3.9
category-class "GS"
kind "groundtexture"
texture "a15.texture"
normal-texture "a15-normal.texture"
category-era "1900s;1910s;1920s;1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s"
category-region "00"

thumbnails
{
{
image "$screenshot$.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}
username-de "FFR Grass & Mud 01"
username-fr "FFR Grass & Mud 01"
username-pl "FFR trawa i błoto 01"

privileges
{
is-payware-content 1
}

kuid-table
{
}

This asset was not Open for Edit. I was set as Modified, Faulty, Payware. Opening it Fir Edit and Reverting to Original did nothing of consequence. I will try to come up with some other things. Already changed the Version to 3.9 but no change.

Last edited:
Few may see this and that is just as well since it is a non-constructive vent/rant:

A route I have been working with for three years has been seriously "messed up". 60 items have been classified as obsolete. Textures all over the route. Both major and minor structures, roads, etc. now declared by the censors of N3V. It would be stupid for me to try to fix the many missing items. Should I try that it is very likely that some other "update" will render some number of items as obsolete. I absolutely dislike censors that show no empathy for those that may be using items they now declare obsolete.

Yes I know if we want fancy features we must sacrifice those items that are not functional in the updated versions of the product. Sort of a catch-22 that N3V has spawned. I have sacrificed countless hours of my life. Is that enough to warrant N3V looking at some process that does not force the customer to waste many days just trying to correct what N3V has does. Is it worth "lumpy ground".

I can either return to a "better version", go back to TANE, or grab another route and start messing with it. Ever wonder why there are a few with TS2004? Choosing another route, with only the latest "APPROVED" materials is probably the best way. Eventually the censors will discover some of those items are no longer compatible and will soon become no-operational. Complacency is not an option.

Well, I "gifted" my $70 to Tony's pocket so he can buy down his second mortgage. Time to open that shiny new route with all the best assets (for now). Only a few years remaining so .......
Dick

When you transferred your route into 2019 did you copy the previous versions data folder into the new 2019 data folder or did you start from a new data folder and transferred your old T:ANE assets piecemeal as they became missing in 2019?

John

Obsolete assets occur for two reasons.

1) They are old and have been updated to repair faulty things that were not reported in their previous life in older Trainz versions.

2) An asset has been replaced by a DLC item.

More often than once, I've come across this last item. It's a pain when a working route is transferred over and a texture or an asset is missing due to being payware not installed. In the case of TRS19 it's due to not being available yet. The DLC version of the asset is now :1 or :2 while the original asset is in my old route with no new version. My fix is to find the older installed or on the DLS, download it into my test TS12 or T:ANE version, and edit the config.txt to update it to the newer build version then import it. As far as I can tell there's no difference other than the so-called new asset is now DLC. That gets around the DLC problem for those assets most of the time.

I have always said that the only things that should be included as DLC are custom assets and the route its self, if this is a route. All other assets should be downloadable from the DLS freely without being screwed by this version garbage. (I was going to say this a bit less nicely, but chose not to).

This asset was not Open for Edit. I was set as Modified, Faulty, Payware. Opening it Fir Edit and Reverting to Original did nothing of consequence. I will try to come up with some other things. Already changed the Version to 3.9 but no change.
This is a 3.4 build asset - it will not work at build 3.9. As it is payware, any attempt to modify it will fail.
If Revert to original won't work then you may need to download the payware item that it is part of: <kuid2:453099:100037:20> C&O Hinton Division

Well, something happened! Today I decided to take one last look at the messed up routes due to assets being declared faulty when the latest TR19 was installed. All of the routes that were effected are now ok. I can't explain it, but the faulty and missing items are now ok. I had already begun altering a builtin route. At least I learned how the new waving grass, and other effects work. That one is well hidden in the elevation controls. Hopefully we have seen that last of N3V making wholesale changes without consideration of the affect on their customer's routes.

Well, something happened! Today I decided to take one last look at the messed up routes due to assets being declared faulty when the latest TR19 was installed. All of the routes that were effected are now ok. I can't explain it, but the faulty and missing items are now ok. I had already begun altering a builtin route. At least I learned how the new waving grass, and other effects work. That one is well hidden in the elevation controls. Hopefully we have seen that last of N3V making wholesale changes without consideration of the affect on their customer's routes.

I received content updates last night when I startup TRS19 so maybe this is what fixed your broken content. Without an actual route or content name, it's difficult to know exactly what was installed at the time.

A question that arises is why were a group of assets marked as not usable in the first-place? If there was a midnight update was it in response to an error marking these assets as faulty? Is this a temporary reprieve? Perhaps some statement by N3V would remove the specter of future sanitizing of the DLC.

A question that arises is why were a group of assets marked as not usable in the first-place? If there was a midnight update was it in response to an error marking these assets as faulty? Is this a temporary reprieve? Perhaps some statement by N3V would remove the specter of future sanitizing of the DLC.

The assets are locked in payware that's why they're not editable by us. Whatever they did on their end repaired the faulty assets and I don't think this change is temporary.

Back