Which Version

MoreEqual

Hi

Looking to buy Trainz for the first time.

Long time user of MSTS and Train Simulator.

I would like to buy Trainz 19 as it is the latest version.

How compatible are the routes/rolling stock from the previous version, specifically TANE. Will they for the most part be important and play if I have all the required resources or will there be a lot of issues.

I have seen a few routes created by JointedRail that I would like to operate.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'd suggest going with TANE for now. Trainz 2019 still has some bugs in it that still needs working out before it's fully released. N3V is offering 'Early Release', which means it's able to work, but still needs a little bit more work before it's actually ready for release. It's currently 99% ready for release, so there's still 1% of work to do.

There is no choice, TRS2019 is the way of the future, I do not have any major problems, those that I have will more than likely be resolved with the final release.

TRS19 will be released later this year (Oct - Dec). The current TRS19 version is an "early access", an advanced beta version if you like, that does not yet have all the features in place. If you buy this version you will be able to upgrade it to the release version for free later.

If a route, session or asset works in TANE then it will work in TRS19. The vast majority of routes, sessions and assets that worked in TS12 (the version before TANE) will also work in TRS19.

I recently "rediscovered" a route I created about 12 years ago in TRS2006 (a very, very old version). It loaded straight into TANE and TRS19 with only one minor error of my own making.

I am currently upgrading it to modern standards by replacing the old track with new procedural track (moveable switches, superposition, ride smoothness control, etc) and all the better assets (e.g. SpeedTrees) that were not available for TRS2006.

Do you use RailDriver?

If so, Trainz 12 is the better choice; PIE's device driver gives the best available operation.

TANE SP3 sort of supports RailDriver but N3V has rolled its own interface which is, so far, incomplete.

I can't speak to 19 in this regard...

:B~)

If you can afford the one off purchase price or are seduced by the subscription offer then TRS2019 is definitely the future. Yes it is still in early access and there are issues balancing the lighting, of which I have been a fairly vocal critic. However it is a good step forward from previous versions of the game and once the full version is out with (hopefully) more assets and resources such as PBR textures aimed at the new version the full potential will be unlocked. TANE SP3 still has a few issues and (IMHO) is nowhere near as stable or reliable as the earlier SP1 HF4 version. TS12 is effectively on life support at this point and anything prior to that should be regarded as end of line.

Back