Time for a new 'Puter

In simple terms an i5 8 gigs of ram, with a GTX 1060 and a 1920 by 1080 IPS monitor.

newegg.com https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACVB78K0429 might be worth looking at.

Personally I'd go with an off lease Dell T3610 workstation Processor: Intel Xeon 6 Core (E5-1650 v2) 3.50 GHz
Memory: 32 GB and drop in a decent GPU. They come with one that supports directx 11 which will keep you going until the RTX GPUs drop in price.

Cheerio John

There was a sale on GTX1080 TIs recently here in Oz. From memory, I think it was a $200 drop. That's encouraging.

NOT a desktop! You gotta be kidding! I use a 36 inch monitor now. And I'm currently using a Falcon Northwest 10 year old gaming PC (I've upgraded the RAM, Hard Drive and Video card since I bought it in 2008) an i7 motherboard and this:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 950
Driver version: 398.11
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_1
CUDA Cores: 768
Core clock: 1063 MHz
Memory data rate: 6610 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Memory bandwidth: 105.76 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 5883 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3835 MB
Video BIOS version: 84.06.2F.00.74
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

I plan on spending at least $1200....

Last edited:
NOT a desktop! You gotta be kidding! I use a 36 inch monitor now. And I'm currently using a Falcon Northwest 10 year old gaming PC (I've upgraded the RAM, Hard Drive and Video card since I bought it in 2008) an i7 motherboard and this:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce GTX 950
Driver version: 398.11
Direct3D API version: 11
Direct3D feature level: 11_1
CUDA Cores: 768
Core clock: 1063 MHz
Memory data rate: 6610 MHz
Memory interface: 128-bit
Memory bandwidth: 105.76 GB/s
Total available graphics memory: 5883 MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048 MB GDDR5
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 3835 MB
Video BIOS version: 84.06.2F.00.74
Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2

I plan on spending at least $1200....

Dave , where did you pick up that somebody said you should get a laptop ? I just checked the other posts and could not find a laptop mentioned at all ....
Anyway xeons are the go , as they can take a really heavy workload ( even my aging 8 year old mac pro xeon 6 core holds up well ) and get a gpu that has as much vram as you can possibly afford. Nvidia cards are also the go too....best cards around for PC

Dave , where did you pick up that somebody said you should get a laptop ? I just checked the other posts and could not find a laptop mentioned at all ....
Anyway xeons are the go , as they can take a really heavy workload ( even my aging 8 year old mac pro xeon 6 core holds up well ) and get a gpu that has as much vram as you can possibly afford. Nvidia cards are also the go too....best cards around for PC

I mis-read a post. sorry, I guess I'm getting old in my old age. It will definitely be a windows desktop PC whatever I get. A SS drive is a must. I was mainly wondering about a motherboard and Video card. What are the best?

You mentioned you have a Falcon Northwest. Are you planning on getting another custom built machine? It's what I do, I just got my second custom machine from Maingear. I know the cost is more, but for me the benefits outweigh the cost in a lot of ways.

I have an overclocked i5 8600K with an Asus ROG Strix z370E Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4 RAM a GTX 1070ti and 2 SSD's. I ordered it before the NVidia price drops happened so I am planning to either upgrade to a 1080ti in a few months or drop in a second 1070ti

I mis-read a post. sorry, I guess I'm getting old in my old age. It will definitely be a windows desktop PC whatever I get. A SS drive is a must. I was mainly wondering about a motherboard and Video card. What are the best?

An RTX 2080 TI is the fastest without a doubt. Whether its worth the extra cost over a GTX 1080 TI is questionable.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-vs-rtx-2080,37809.html

CPU I'd go Intel Core i9-7960X Skylake X 16-Core but AMD are cheaper and Toms rates them not bad.

Motherboard a high end ASUS.

None of these are cheap. Realistically a 6 core xeon with a GTX 1080 TI will give you the same visible performance 99% of the time for half the price.

Cheerio John

You mentioned you have a Falcon Northwest. Are you planning on getting another custom built machine? It's what I do, I just got my second custom machine from Maingear. I know the cost is more, but for me the benefits outweigh the cost in a lot of ways.

I have an overclocked i5 8600K with an Asus ROG Strix z370E Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4 RAM a GTX 1070ti and 2 SSD's. I ordered it before the NVidia price drops happened so I am planning to either upgrade to a 1080ti in a few months or drop in a second 1070ti

My local PC repair business is going to build me a PC based on my specs. So I'm making a list now.

Thanks everyone, I'll look into everything you guys have recommended.

Dave

Back