Thread: Mixing .im and .trainzmesh in one asset

Default Mixing .im and .trainzmesh in one asset

Since I don't know how to port gmax animated meshes to Blender and then to decorate it with a pbr material I face a barrier which stops me from finishing my long developed procedural tracks and releasing them for TRS19 in an elegant full .trainzmesh way I'm forced to leave some of the meshes .im while the most crucial like ballast and sleepers are .trainzmesh. I know it can be done but will it decrease trs19 performance? And one more question - innitialy I prepare my tracks in 3.9 build while .trainzmesh can be in in 4.5 (or similar). I just change the build number hoping no special config tags are required in 4.5. Am I right? COntent Manager doesn't moan. Only when I tried with 4.6 it screamed for some lod distance numbers (or similar). So my questions are rather not if it is doable or is it elegant and not spoiling aything?

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

You can do it, just add "mesh-table-lod-transition-distances" to the config, the bogeys on my Alco C630 are a mix, frame is FBX/PBR and wheels are im. Had to do it as Blender animations for a 6 wheel bogey do not work.

United States of America, California, Del Mar

Whitepass if you're having issues with exporting, try animating the wheels with empties in the same way you would with lattices. I've found it works extremely well. As far as mixing both im and trainzmesh, I've done this quite a bit for small assets. I did a quick google search and found this guide for exporting gmax meshes to obj which could be then imported to Blender: https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/g...obj-models.php Worth giving a try!

Regards,
    GDennish
    Creator of TRS19 QR PB15
    Admin of: https://www.sodorworkshops.com/

Thank you gentlemen! I use the obj technique. Unfortunatelly it exports only clean meshes meaning no helpers nor animation...

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

I can export a 4 wheel bogey but not a 6 wheel, the mesh gets bigger and the wheel spacing is off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    I can export a 4 wheel bogey but not a 6 wheel, the mesh gets bigger and the wheel spacing is off.
    Blender seems to retain old animation data that is no longer relevant. You might try checking for orphan data and deleting it. I have side rods working but haven't tried 6 wheel bogies.

Paul

Blog Entries

It should not affect performance that much as trainzmesh or indexed mesh reads in polygons.