My current set up plus some GPU issues with TANE

joshmeister

Proud Railfurz Member
Heres my current gaming set up while does rather well I must say.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz 24 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z170XP-SLI-CF (U3E1) 34 °C
Graphics
LCD TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) 41 °C
Storage
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 33 °C
14GB USB DISK 2.0 USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Now then, heres the issue. This build ran Trainz 12 with no problems, no drops in FPS, no "Lagging" or anything like that, but with TANE, it seems that my GPU is being maxed out, even with TANE on every low setting possible. A rather high detailed route I built that ran just fine in 12 will now max out my GPU when run in TANE and I can't figure out why. (No, I'm not a computer guy, I had alot of help building this machine.) The thing is, my frame rates honestly don't drop, but it seems like TANE likes to skip frames...ALOT, to where it looks like the game is lagging because its not rendering every frame (I think.) I likely have no idea what I'm talking about here, but hopefully someone here might.
Just for the sake of it, I also added the below screen shot of my GPU usage while in TANE.

NaCw82b.png
[/IMG]

It's behaving exactly as it should. In the splash screen under developer is the profiler which will give you the frame rates in a separate window so use <Alt><Tab> to see them.

See what frame rates you are getting.

Thanks John

It's behaving exactly as it should. In the splash screen under developer is the profiler which will give you the frame rates in a separate window so use <Alt><Tab> to see them.

See what frame rates you are getting.

Thanks John

I've included a video of what I'm referring too, I checked the profiler as you suggested and it shows the exact same frame rates that BandiCam shows.

In the video, you can see how the FPS "Shudders" and "Skips". That's what I'm trying to resolve. (Note, the texture settings and everything are turned down to "low" in this video.

A couple of things to check on the Launcher settings tab.

1. Make sure shadow texture quality is set to 2048 and not 4096 (the latter is really only suitable for screenshots).
2. Make sure that PhysX simulation is UN-checked.

Also, with your 6 GB video card, I'd recommend unchecking the texture streaming option.

Otherwise, you may just be unlucky with the route / session you are running. I get similar stutters on occasion, even with an i7 and a gtx1080. It's possibly down to the efficiency with which the TANE game engine can process all the information and get it to the GPU for rendering.

Regards,
John

A couple of things to check on the Launcher settings tab.

1. Make sure shadow texture quality is set to 2048 and not 4096 (the latter is really only suitable for screenshots).
2. Make sure that PhysX simulation is UN-checked.

Also, with your 6 GB video card, I'd recommend unchecking the texture streaming option.

Otherwise, you may just be unlucky with the route / session you are running. I get similar stutters on occasion, even with an i7 and a gtx1080. It's possibly down to the efficiency with which the TANE game engine can process all the information and get it to the GPU for rendering.

Regards,
John

So, it sounds like the game just isn't really optimized very well instead of the issue being with my computer...

Shadow texture was already at 2048, and texture streaming was unchecked as well, I'll uncheck PhysX as well and see what difference that makes.

Cheers mate.

Last edited:
joshmeister - Your rig has a decent spec, but some of the assets shown in your video warrant some closer attention to their performance statistics.
Use Content Manager to go to Preview Asset... and load the locos and wagons you're using (separately) into the viewer.
Then check out their performance stats by setting the Mode to 'Performance Analysis'. (Listen to your fans run up and observe the GPU and CPU utilisation!)
Also, looks like the significant multiple re-use of the same asset involves an auto-numbering script that may well be causing the jerky performance as the script times out or reaches its designed range limits.
Just sayin'...

SSD would help a lot, although if it's working properly your Toshiba is one of the better 7200rpm HDDs, other than that check your hdd is getting defragged properly, win10 should be doing it automatically however worth checking.

I would suggest not using Chrome especially 22 instances of it while running TANE, it may not be helping.

Exclude your TANE folder and your Userdata from on access scanning by AV and anti whatever programs, Windows Defender went into overdrive on loading assets here until I excluded TANE. (verify if thats a problem with performance monitor)

I find that TANE doesn't handle BIG routes well on my PC - I've an i5 CPU (not running flat out) and a GTX 770 (4Mb) running at 95&+

For ECML and the Mojave "Push" sessions, I'm getting about 17 fps.
TS19 doesn't give much improvement in frame rate, but the display is smoother and actually playable.

For your nVidia card, use the "3D" options so that TANE (TS19 + any other games programs you have) uses "performance"mode rather than quality.

Also check that the virus checker doesn't scan each TANE file as it loads!

Colin

I find that TANE doesn't handle BIG routes well on my PC - I've an i5 CPU (not running flat out) and a GTX 770 (4Mb) running at 95&+

TS19 doesn't give much improvement in frame rate, but the display is smoother and actually playable.

For your nVidia card, use the "3D" options so that TANE (TS19 + any other games programs you have) uses "performance"mode rather than quality.

Colin

Colin, would I be able to change those settings in the Nvidia control panel? Like I stated above, I'm no computer guy and didn't really build my machine, my mate was the one that built it. Other than my (Pretty basic) knowledge on computer stuff, I honestly don't understand how much of this stuff works. I DID go into the control panel though and changed what I could to "Max Performance" settings but that didn't seem to change anything game wise. Like I also said, its not a drop in FPS i'm really getting, it's just more of the shuttering in game, which, the more I think about it, the more I think it's actually the game seeing as how some youtube vid's I watched last night of other people running TANE, their's looks to have the same issue. Then again, I likely don't know what I'm talking about lol, but I'm still looking over stuff and trying to fix the issue with out having to ask for alot of help.

Colin

My machines can handle big routes with no worries, this route I'm currently working on is all heavily forested and my FPS usually never dip below 30 fps (Usually) it's just this lagging (As seen in the video I posted) that bothers me, been tweaking my gpu in the nividia control panel and it's helped slightly, but the usage still remains at around 98-99% GPU usage (Which I think is causing the actual lag in game) I wished NV3 had optimized TANE as well as they did 12, 12 ran extreamly smooth with no lag on this machine, but I guess that wasn't really what they were going for with TANE (But what do I know.)

I'm not a computer guy, my mate picked out all the stuff I needed to make this machine work the way I wanted (At the time I still didn't have TANE in 2017) I'll keep messing with some things though and will see how much more of this lag (As seen in the vid) I can get rid of.

I've done some more tweaking and don't feel like I can get much further honestly with this on my own. I'm still seeing 98 and 99% GPU usage in TANE (Even on just a simple textured baseboard) but I can load the most high detailed route I've made in 12 and my GPU won't go much over 35% usage. I know the graphics in TANE are alot better than 12 was, I get that, but I don't think that should be causing my GPU to be running at 99% to be honest, but again, I'm no computer guy (This is after I've changed all my invidia settings and AV software like stated in above posts. -Shrugs- I mean, the games playable don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to figure out how TANE runs so much different compared to 12. (I've also posted elsewhere and was told that other people are not having this problem like I am) <--- That's what really confuses me.

As I get very little stuttering I checked my system settings to see what might be different:
T:ANE and TRS19 folders excluded from real time scanning including data folders which are on the same drives.
Page file (virtual memory) manually set to 32gb
Minimal background programs running at startup - manual starting for Steam, Spotify, Onedrive, etc
Use performance settings in nVidia control panel and everything set to 'let application decide'
T:ANE settings which might affect stuttering; I run with everything on ultra excepting, medium 4096 shadows, 6km draw distance, draw behind off, streaming off, physx on.
My system is very similar to your own
Intel Core i5 7600
16gb ddr4 2400mhz ram
Asus ROG Strix GTX1060 6gb OC108%
Your MSI software may have a 'game mode' to shut down unneeded background processes and make sure nothing is running in the background that you don't need. (check system tray) eg. you don't need onedrive searching for things to sync while you are trainzing.
cheers
Graeme

AGAIN........

GPU's are supposed to run at 90 to 100% it is not the cause of your problem, pointless comparing it with TS12, different Game Engine which mainly uses the CPU so CPU usage will be low, TANE is a GPU based Game so the GPU will be heavily loaded unless you run it on lowest settings, it will not do the GPU any harm whatsoever.

From Toms Hardware

Looks normal. You want to use 100% of your GPU while gaming. If you aren't at 100% at some point while playing the game then you are either playing a much older game, using too low of graphics settings, or your CPU isn't strong enough (you're totally fine). It is completely normal for the GPU usage to bounce around during a game. Your numbers in those screenshots look normal. Your GPU is designed to be used 100%, no worries at all.

I've included a video of what I'm referring too, I checked the profiler as you suggested and it shows the exact same frame rates that BandiCam shows.

In the video, you can see how the FPS "Shudders" and "Skips". That's what I'm trying to resolve. (Note, the texture settings and everything are turned down to "low" in this video.

I sorted my jerkiness in Trainz with Nvidia's ULMB option - try it if you have a GSYNC monitor & this option available http://prntscr.com/l0gbgu

Back