Newbie/Hi/TRS19/TS2009

di9girl

Hi everyone, I did look for a newbie/hello part of the forum but couldn't see it so I apologise in advance if I missed it.

I was searching around on line yesterday for a train/railroad simulator game and came across the Trainz site. I signed up to the newsletter and am currently downloading the free copy of TS2009. I've never played a train game but always wanted to, I'm currently addicted to a couple of truck sim games (ETS2/ATS) though.

I've looked around the site but it's quite overwhelming. Where should I start? Should I just dive into TS2009? I really like the look of the new 2019 game.

Thanks! :)

Hi everyone, I did look for a newbie/hello part of the forum but couldn't see it so I apologise in advance if I missed it.

I was searching around on line yesterday for a train/railroad simulator game and came across the Trainz site. I signed up to the newsletter and am currently downloading the free copy of TS2009. I've never played a train game but always wanted to, I'm currently addicted to a couple of truck sim games (ETS2/ATS) though.

I've looked around the site but it's quite overwhelming. Where should I start? Should I just dive into TS2009? I really like the look of the new 2019 game.

Welcome to the forums and to Trainz, di9girl! You've entered a world you'll never escape from!

Since you've got (or downloading) TS2009, have a go at it. The interface is a bit different than the new TRS19 product, but it's worth playing around with until the new product is released later this year if it remains on schedule.

TRS19 has much steeper hardware requirements due to the beefed up graphics so before you move on to that, ensure your hardware can support it. TS2009 is much older, therefore, it's less intensive but was intensive when that came out back then.

Yes Trainz in general can be a bit overwhelming, but like everything that's got a lot of stuff in it you need to break it down into bits and pieces.

Welcome to the forums and the world of Trainz :) If you have problems or questions with TS2009 the forums is a great place to get help. Trainz is so much more than a game or a sim. It's a virtual world at your fingertips.:)

TRS2006 was my first start in Trainz (and I still use it)

TS09 should get you used to surveyor in the game, and stir you to purchase TS12

If you really want to jump full ahead try T:ANE ... Or TS19 as it looks fantastic !

Welcome to the forum! The thing about all things TRAINZ is it really has something for everyone's taste. Dive in and enjoy the ride.

What's your hardware? The GPU is the most critical bit. An nVidia GTX 1060 or better and TANE or TS19, other GPUs might suggest a different version.

Cheerio John

Welcome to Trainz!

Its fantastic to have another new player come into the community. Also, never be afraid to ask for help. I sure need it sometimes. Like the people above have mentioned, a good graphics card (GPU) is everything for running the newer games because they are so taxing. I have a Nvidia 1050 graphics card and it should be able to run T:ANE but I have never tested it so I am not sure. TRS19 is something I really hope I can run but anyone else feel free to tell me if I can't. A FCT is one thing you really do need though, if your going to get add ons of course. Most people do honestly, it is really what makes the game awesome. The FCTs make downloading content much quicker. No this isn't a sales pitch, I am just saying this because I have tried downloading stuff in Download Helper without it and you get like 7 KB per sec, period. No matter your connection that is what you get because it is throttled by their servers. Features of the game are also slowly being improved, and boy do I mean slowly. N3V isn't the quickest with, well, basically anything. But they sure make a heck of a game in the end! Enjoy your free copy of TS2009. I will warn you that some content might be broken in it because it is so old and are unsupported by N3V now. I actually have TRS2006 and when I played it a while ago lots a crap started breaking after I started adding add ons because it updated the database and everything.

TRS19 is the version of Trainz I would get after your affiliated with the features of the game. I also suggest you get it on sale because it is $70 for an Early Access game! Normally early access ones are super cheap because they aren't done yet but not this one. I hope it is like 45% off though. I did the math and that makes it $40 USD which is a much more reasonable price...and the one I think they should have made it in the end. (They probably would have sold way more copies if they did. Just sayin.)

Last edited:
Another Hi!

TRS 2009 is fine for seeing if you like this type of simulation -specially if it's free.

To get more out of the program & forum, create a user account, this will give you access to more of the forum.

You will find that there is masses of content on the "download station". This includes new routes, sessions, content etc. To make use of this, you'll want to buy a "FCT" (First Class Ticket) and add it to your account. Activate the ticket, then you'll get access to the content without a download quantity and speed limit. (You use the same username for registering the product & you account).

As above, 2019 uses your computer's CPU quite hard - check that the cooling system is in good order.
TANE & 2019 use the GPU hard instead.

Obviously, we like the look of 2019 as well, remember though, 2019 isn't yet fully complete. You'll see by the usernames that a lot of us have experience with earlier versions, this helps us to not notice little problems.

Enjoy,

Colin

Welcome to Trainz and to the forums mate!

I'll tell you once you get into Trainz, you'll never want to leave the game and will always be wanting to get into it - especially when you are working on a route project. ;)

Enjoy the game, and if need a hand, post somewhere on the forums, (just make sure you post in the right section :D)

Cheers

Hi, I joined recently also. I had a i7-3770 CPU and 16 GB. Ram. and a GeForce GTX-970 (4 GB. Ram.) GPU. Worked ok with X-Plane 11. But when I got TRS 2019 my CPU would be around 50-60 %. The GPU would be around 80-100%. Got a used i7-4790K and a new GeForce GTX-1070 (8 GB. Video Ram.) I already had purchased 32 GB. Ram for the i7-3770 motherboard before getting the i7-4790K CPU. If I hadn't, I more than likely would have gotten a newer generation i7 chip. Anyway, I get 50-60 % on the i7-4790K and 60-70% on the GTX-1070 GPU. Run's smooth. These readings are in the populated area's. (lots buildings and bad weather). Hope this help. Welcome aboard.

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

I did try TS2009 but unless I clicked something wrong, I couldn't find a help or how to in-game. I managed to figure out how to move the train forward but it was all very confusing. The graphics/gameplay definitely reminded me of mid-90s games lol.

I'm guessing the new game is a lot better.

As for my graphics, erm... all I could find was GeForce GTX 750 if that means anything? My PC is only couple years old but I know that's ancient in today's computer world!

I play American Truck Simulator, European Truck Simulator 2, Sims 3, Sim City and I trialled Dragon Age Inquisition a couple months ago with no issues, so I should be okay?

I'll look into the options for the game, it's very overwhelming lol. I'll hunt the forum for a how-to/idiots guide.

Your video card is more than enough for TS2009, but you may need to reduce the settings a bit when and if you update to TRS19. At this point don't worry about it if that concerns you.

As far as running other games compared to Trainz, Trainz is a bit different due to the amount of content on a route and the number of polygons the assets have. As time goes on, you'll see what I mean. In general the built-in routes run well, but those that you download from the Download Station may vary in quality because of this. If someone creates a big forest, you are most likely going to see stutters. The newer versions of Trainz such as T:ANE and TRS19 handle this quite a bit better, but even still a super huge city and lots and lots of content can cause problems.

There is a user manual. Yes there is, really. :) It's located in the a folder called Documentation which is inside the Extras folder.

Go to the folder where TS2009 has been installed and look for extras and then documentation. There's both a PDF format as well as HTML (opens in a browser).

There is DCC mode which is the easiest ... And CAB mode which is more difficult

Some keyboard commands are:

Q-Release Brakes
A-Apply Brakes
AAAAAAAA-Apply Brakes 8 Notch
Z-Lap
W-Forward
WWWWWWWW-Forward 8 Notch
S-Stop
X-Reverse
XXXXXXXX-Reverse 8 Notch
F-Forward (Cab Mode)
R-Reverse (Cab Mode)
V-Sand
E-Independent Brake
EEEEEEEE -Independent Brake 8 notch?
H-Horn
L-Lights
P-Pause Game
CtrlD-Decouple (then you point The mouse to the desired coupler)

Welcome new players to the world of TrainZ

;) Welcome aboard both new players, as others have said, Trainz is one Sim, you really enjoy.....And there are tremendous people, talented in every way, too help in this remarkable Forum......You need only to ask.......

For di9girl!,

When you come into the Forum, click this button "Forum" Tab, then goto sub Forum, "Trainz 2009"

Here is link that will take you here.....

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/forumdisplay.php?53-TS2009

Start by reading FAQ's to get some background on 2009...........

When I started Trainz, I was on my spouses IPAD with Trainz Driver 2, very limited at the time, and then moved to TS-12 and now T:ANE SP-3, latest version.....

But I agree with other's play with 2009, it is a good place to start, and it will help you much more, when you up version to newer Trainz Platform versions.....

Be patient, it is going to take some time to get used to this SIM, however since you have played other Sim's it might be easier to learn as some similarities will come into play.

:D Of importance while I'm thinking, make sure all your Computer Drivers are fully updated to the latest stable release, lots of folks do not have there Video Cards and other things updated, it is very important when running these Sims, that all your Software is up to date as is practical.....I run Win10 with no problems at all........

One last thing here, if you newbies are familiar with Youtube , by all means, go into it, search for Trainz, and there are tons of Videos to watch from both NV3 and many of our Forum members to watch......I am a very visual person, and watching a Video, looking at picture helps me way beyond reading lots of Text....But that is me.......We all learn differently......Hope this helps both of you......

:wave: Have a great weekend.............

Back