Bug summaries

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Could we get a sticky thread summarizing all known bugs and their current status?

I was a bit late to this party, life sometimes gets in the way, and instead of scrolling through every thread to see what has been discovered and reported, a single place to look would be appreciated. Or is there some other place where all the bugs are listed?

I seem to recall a bug site when T:ANE was but a glimmer down the track where bugs were logged and existing bugs were listed. :cool:

Hi Martin,

I did ask Tony if this could be done, the answer is "yes" but this would divert the team from fixing them...

It's a little frustrating, but it's not such a big team as say, Elite:Dangerous where there is a team dedicated to the process.

Regards,

Colin

Thanks for asking. I don't suppose that the current bug tracking software has a reporting function that could, for example, report the bug #, description and its status? If that were to be posed into a sticky it would go a long way to helping us users understand what was reported. Even better if read-only access could be given so we could look for ourselves without taking up any of their valuable time. We can hope, but naturally the priority should be on fixing the bugs.

I did ask Tony if this could be done, the answer is "yes" but this would divert the team from fixing them...
That comment has been made several times. It is a false economy.

Putting time into a bug documentation and tracking system that was user-accessible would have an enormous pay-off in several areas. It would reduce the number of repeat reports, assist in further identification of problem areas, direct people towards untested areas, enable proper testing of fixes and demonstrate the rate at which the product is being improved.

It improves the efficiency of the bug fixing process as it imposes a higher standard on the bug fixers and forces a much tighter management of the fixing process. Revisiting previous fixes is much reduced, as is the risk of introducing new bugs, because a comprehensive description of the problem and the fix enables more thorough testing. The documentation becomes a resource that assists with maintaining and updating the Wiki.

As testers see the effect that their testing has on the product they become much more engaged with the process.

The attitude seems to be that the beta testers' time comes free, and that they don't need assistance and support with their testing. The fact is that anything that can be done to make the testing more efficient will pay of in better bug reports and a deeper, broader test of the product.

I'm replying to this old thread because I just went a-googling to find a bug tracker because I don't want to waste time re-reporting known issues.

That "takes time away" sounds like code for "we dont want to deal with it" to me.

Unless they are simply ignoring public reports of issues, they must be documenting the issues *somewhere* - doing so a public system with tickets and a trail of responses and actions is an easy thing to do NOW.

Admittedly it wasnt so much back when trainz was a new thing and changing the workflow would probably be a pain initially but after a brief period of adapting it would be much better for everyone.

"Hiding" the issues just fosters aggravation anf frustration.

I'd like to add a bit to this. There's so many acronyms that aren't defined, both computer and railroading, that it's difficult for someone new to Trainz to browse the forum. Seeing something simple like "CTD" may not register with everyone, especially considering language barriers. Users, not make the effort to write once in the thread CTD (Crash to Desktop), then use CTD for the rest of the thread. And railroading abbreviations can be extremely bewildering to those new to the hobby, considering some (abbreviations) are relevant to certain parts of the world or era's.

Then there's the many versions of Trainz -- browsing to find the answer to a question can be a chore. Making the Wiki "the goto source" and us users refer to it to support our forum questions/answers might help.

There's a weird issue with Trainz Plus after a new update where the game keeps freezing for a few seconds after adding and removing engines/rolling stock. It's becoming an issue.

It's not so much an issue with my specs since I'm using an GTX 1050 and an AMD Processor. The game runs perfectly fine. This is only an issue with removing and adding engines and rolling stock. Going into driver and back into surveyor fixes it, but only temporarily as you add more locos/rolling stock to the session.

To add to that, if you remove a locomotive, the game hard freezes, and then after a minute, it crashes, all windows close, including launcher and CM.

I've tried Database repair, resetting my computer, changing ingame settings, nothing. This is all in Update 3 (Build 106618) too.

Back