The Union Pacific Screenshot thread

Spent a couple of hours editing the coal tipple to a potash tipple and adding potash commodity to a lot of covered hoppers that had potash in their name.

Now that part works. :D

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Matt

Forgive my ignorance. but what steam engines did the UP use for long haul passenger service?

Dave

The UP seemed to heavily relied on doubleheading for long haul passenger trains. Pacifics, Mikados, Mountains, even 2-10-2s where used on occasion. By the mid 30s the UP was using Moutains almost exclusively to power their trains, until the FEFs and Challengers came in. Even with the larger engines the UP still doubleheaded, that way in the event one engine failed the other one could continue the train on its journey. Post World War II, the UP mostly used E units or PAs for the trains in A-B-B-A lashups.

UP................Bill69, UP 5511 engine config.

Hello Bill, many thanks for the engine config.

Load 2765 tons on the level. Length of run from standing start at mp1 to pass mp10, max speed was 44 mph achieved just before mp9.

Cut-off at start 75% and regulator 15%, speed at mp2, 29 mph cut-off 38% and full regulator.

Had to raise and drop the cut-off at times to avoid slipping 38% to 44%, safety valves now and then popping.

Brakes on at 44 mph, took about one-quarter of a mile to stop.

A very enjoyable run.
6a08cea2c8beb0bc1708906c35f34823.jpg

Many Thanks.

Cheers Ken

Hi Ken,

Glad you like it, I like to have the safeties popping when running on reduced regulator, like coming in to an industry or loading.
N3V have quietened the safety valve noise now so it is not obtrusive.

Cheers,
Bill

The UP seemed to heavily relied on doubleheading for long haul passenger trains. Pacifics, Mikados, Mountains, even 2-10-2s where used on occasion. By the mid 30s the UP was using Moutains almost exclusively to power their trains, until the FEFs and Challengers came in. Even with the larger engines the UP still doubleheaded, that way in the event one engine failed the other one could continue the train on its journey. Post World War II, the UP mostly used E units or PAs for the trains in A-B-B-A lashups.

Hi daylighttrain,

I have not been able to find any reference to UP Mountain class locos, can you tell me what their running number series were?

Cheers,
Bill69

UP Class MT1 #7000-7039 Some were coal fired and others were oil fired you would need to check number against fuel in roster.

From http://utahrails.net/index.php
Description:
CS Class: MT-1
Cabside Class: MT-73
Drive Wheel Diameter: 73 inches
Cylinders: 29x28 inches
Maximum Tractive Effort: 54,838 pounds

Built in 1922 by Brooks

LA&SL had an additional 20 Mountains.

Euphod did #7000
<kuid2:7592:10179:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain Tender
<kuid2:7592:10180:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain

Last edited:
Norm is correct. Stunning locomotives in design.

Edit: I do want to clarify that the locomotive in the picture is after the UP reorganized its roster numbers, 7865 was not the original number for this locomotive. Also notice the boxpox driver on the main axle, these where added later on to prevent the stress cracking these engines suffered from early on in their service careers. The trailing truck is also the newer delta-style which the UP fitted on most engines with 2 wheel trailing axles later in their lives.

union_pacific_4_8_2_no__7865_by_prr8157-d5bcv24.jpg

Last edited:

All the #7000s would have been painted two tone gray during the early fifties and most were retired by 1956.

The same would be true for the sixty Heavy Pacifics Class P7-P13. All the Light Pacifics were retired before 1950 except for #2851 and 2856.

Last edited:
UP Class MT1 #7000-7039 Some were coal fired and others were oil fired you would need to check number against fuel in roster.

From http://utahrails.net/index.php

Built in 1922 by Brooks

LA&SL had an additional 20 Mountains.

Euphod did #7000
<kuid2:7592:10179:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain Tender
<kuid2:7592:10180:2> UP #7000 4-8-2 Mountain

Thanks for the information Norm and the picture daylightrain,

I might see what I can do about them now.

Cheers,
Bill69

Norm is correct. Stunning locomotives in design.

Edit: I do want to clarify that the locomotive in the picture is after the UP reorganized its roster numbers, 7865 was not the original number for this locomotive. Also notice the boxpox driver on the main axle, these where added later on to prevent the stress cracking these engines suffered from early on in their service careers. The trailing truck is also the newer delta-style which the UP fitted on most engines with 2 wheel trailing axles later in their lives.

Actually the 7000s were not renumbered so far as I can tell. #7850-7869 were owned by UP but lettered for LA&SL and later re-lettered to UP. (I haven't found a date for that).

#7850-7864 were purchased in 1923 and #7865-7869 in 1924, also from Brooks, all were oil fired.

Last edited:
Back