The Union Pacific Screenshot thread

The UP 4-8-2s were classy machines that were very powerful. But they had a major drawback, they were mediocre steamers. It was not uncommon for a MT to run short of steam and have to stop or slow down while running a fast train. Union Pacific put up with the problem until one of the engines had to stop on the main with a fast train which was pulling the RR president's private car. Even before the rescue engine arrived to help the train Union Pacific had contacted ALCo with a view of something with better steam raising ability. The FEF-1 was the result.

-Ben

The consist is lead off by ANL/Evilcrow's UP FEF-3 #840 and tender and is made up of a combination of PaulzTrainz's smooth and corrugated sided lightweight Pullman cars in two tone gray with silver striping. Baggage, Baggage/Crew, 2 X 18 Roomette "City" sleepers, 48 seat Diner, 2 X 13 Bedroom "County" sleepers, 2 X 6-6-4 "American" sleepers, 36 seat Diner, 2 X 4-4-2 "Imperial" sleepers, a 40 seat News, a Lounge, and the Parlor Observation.

Fall Harvest - Nebraska Route by robert3a0 :wave:

Last edited:
RE posts #322 and #323 normhart

Hello Norman, that looks like an interesting route to try out a UP FEF with Bill69's FEF engine spec and with a heavy load.

UP............. WIP Will be 819 single chimney as per phot on Utah Rails.
e8cc7c968be51c0a993fbb6502409950.jpg

Cheers Ken

Too bad you cannot make the smoke coming out of the stack trail behind farther than that. I would think in real life it would.

Too bad you cannot make the smoke coming out of the stack trail behind farther than that. I would think in real life it would.

You can make the smoke trail farther behind, it is only a matter of changing two or three tags in the config. Also the faster the loco is traveling the longer the smoke trail, because it is set by time.

Cheers,
Bill69

Is this long enough?

The Smoke is still very black over all, as it should be in an oil burner, but I have added some steam. The train is running at about 45mph in this shot.

Cheers,
Bill69

When I ran USSc1798's new FEF's, my one issue was the smoke. I think Im gonna change it up a bit becaus it bothers me how it fades out. (No offense Austin, I love the models!)

re post #333 pdkoester

An excellent railfan/railtour photo.
To achieve an effect like that in Trainz would be wonderful, I have found that increasing the smoke effects (on my computer) has a performance hit. As mentioned before in this post, you can alter the config to produce the effect you require.

We look forward to seeing your results.
a4e7b5bdb379ddca458b931aa8d8538a.jpg

Cheers evilcrow

re post #336 trainz_12_fan_100.

Fear not Brandon, merely an experiment in oil clag (post # 335), the SP loco had the config set-up that way. Thank you for the compliment.
Now back to the UP.
dc4ef63c833273c34742f24c3ae54393.jpg

Normhart an e-mail is on the way to you.

Cheers Ken.

Back