"Model" routes vs "Prototype"

Hi Lonnie --

With all due respects to others with a contrary opinion, you most definitely must construct any new route or layout in TRS19. No buts; no maybes. Just MUST. It is just so much better than T:ANE and once you have used TRS19 it is impossible to go back to T:ANE.

Take, for example, this video (watch full screen / 1080p) of my latest model railroad:

You could never ever get anything approaching this out of T:ANE. Trust me -- I've used both.

Phil

I too am building both. I have my Hungry Horse route (which is from 101 layouts from Model Railroader and available on the DL Station) As a way to the sea from the west end of my Feather River Route, which is from a Fishlipsatwork DEM file. This is my main hobby and has been from when the retail version of Trainz came out in 2002. My favorite part is the engineering and construction work vs driving. The route is a full 160 track miles long. This being a game, I have built industries along the Feather River portion to give users something to do while driving the canyon. This is where both styles are combined. A prototypical route with added features and a Model Railroad layout combined to make the game of running trainz fun for everyone. I am also a content creator for Trainz as well with a few items on the DL Station under my KUID of 46819.

Jacob

A vote for prototypical - it's great building a world. Even if it's a very tiny chunk of it.

Last edited:
Jacob. I'll have to take a look. I sort of fall into your category. I get as much pleasure from the design and build as running. part of me is thinking about a 80/20 switching/running type route. years ago there was a route in MSTS, I THINK that was an urban port district route. tons of detailed buildings and switching. Can't for the life of me remember the name now. I used to have a lot of fun with that one. I love maintenance yards. I thought about doing the Juniata works in PA one time. I still have my eye on doing the Ford River Rouge plant in Detroit. Over a 100 miles of track in an industrial complex! I have yet to get hold of a good diagram showing the track layout. Sadly most of it is gone now. When I was in Lowell this weekend I was looking at all the abandoned track in the area around and in the mills. There were a lot of narrow alleys with old track still in them. and the mills all had track inside that is not on any map I have seen. Sadly I have other hobbies that compete with time during the summer. I have my motorcycle that I use to get out to do photography on. Mostly old mills and lighthouses. But come winter here in New England the bike is put to bed and the photo ops are pretty limited. I retire next summer so... Time for TRAINZ AGAIN!

Jacob. I'll have to take a look. I sort of fall into your category. I get as much pleasure from the design and build as running. part of me is thinking about a 80/20 switching/running type route. years ago there was a route in MSTS, I THINK that was an urban port district route. tons of detailed buildings and switching. Can't for the life of me remember the name now. I used to have a lot of fun with that one. I love maintenance yards. I thought about doing the Juniata works in PA one time. I still have my eye on doing the Ford River Rouge plant in Detroit. Over a 100 miles of track in an industrial complex! I have yet to get hold of a good diagram showing the track layout. Sadly most of it is gone now. When I was in Lowell this weekend I was looking at all the abandoned track in the area around and in the mills. There were a lot of narrow alleys with old track still in them. and the mills all had track inside that is not on any map I have seen. Sadly I have other hobbies that compete with time during the summer. I have my motorcycle that I use to get out to do photography on. Mostly old mills and lighthouses. But come winter here in New England the bike is put to bed and the photo ops are pretty limited. I retire next summer so... Time for TRAINZ AGAIN!

You might want to invest in TransDEM at some point. This allows you to place topo maps on top of DEM data and then export to a Trainz route ready for importing and working on. You can go as far as placing tracks in place that are ready for adjusting, though I don't like doing that and would rather have a topo map that I can place my own track.

There's another Trainzer Steamboateng that is working off and on on a big Hoosac Tunnel route. We traveled out to North Adams for pictures and talked to locals, and he's now making the route for a local museum out there. What's interesting is he took a 1943/44 topographic map available from the National Geodetic Society and was able to place it accurately on top of current DEM data also available from the National Server. Way Cool!

What's even cooler is you can place the track directly on top of the USGS track lines and they match up accurately. Placing a few spline points and the track will follow the curves exactly. The DEM height is pretty close too - within the resolution of our baseboard in most places if that, depending upon the resolution of the original data you use. I found one area on his North Adams map to be only 3 meters off from what I measured from Google Earth Application in the same location.

The program is available from here:

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteEngl.htm

The price is about $35 USD and is well worth it.

Be warned: There's a bit of steep learning curve, but you'll end up using a portion of the tools in the package so it's not as bad as it looks. This program is also extremely addicting too and you'll find your self creating lots and lots of routes you never thought of. With Trainz you can take these and place tracks that have been ripped up long ago such as all those little branch lines that are missing now, or even better put in tracks that never existed but could have, and this is really, really fun but challenging as well. And last but not least, you can actually adjust the height of routes that are in T:ANE SP1 and below format. This is great for merging disparate areas into a much larger route.

Anyway it is sad what's left today out of all that track that was once active. Imagine what this was like in the heydays even up into the early 1960s when the mills were still active. This was true in Lawrence as well with the mills along the two canals. I remember seeing switchers pushing boxcars along North Canal and even down the middle of Canal Street. I've been trying to replicate this in Trainz as well with mixed results.

Having just come back from Scotland I have only just seen this thread so here are my thoughts. I think it depends on one's background. I come from a lifetime of modelling (009 and plastic model aircraft) but that ended with moving to our small retirement bungalow and the onset of arthritis in the fingers. Train simulation was a substitute for me and I prefer to create virtual model railways; partly because of my background and partly because it is easier for my very limited topographical and texturing abilities. It is really just a case of choosing your own poison. I do download "real" routes although I confess long one bore me.

I still have my eye on doing the Ford River Rouge plant in Detroit. Over a 100 miles of track in an industrial complex! I have yet to get hold of a good diagram showing the track layout.
Look here: https://www.openrailwaymap.org/

The site is slow, so be patient.

If you type "Detroit" into the search box and then click Detroit Station you should be close enough to what you need.

You can zoom in really close. In many cases it shows "as it used to be".

I came across it, probably accidentally, about a year ago. I post links to it from time in these forums. Many people, like you, weren't aware it existed.

I came across it, probably accidentally, about a year ago. I post links to it from time in these forums. Many people, like you, weren't aware it existed.

Thank you for reminding me about it. I had it bookmarked in an older browser, did a fresh windows install and lost it. Now I've got it and have gotten lost looking at the maps.

It's really sad seeing how much is gone now compared to what was there.

In a way i’m Doing both prototypical and fictional with my Uintah route as I’ve modeled the proposed extension from Watson to Bonanza which goes through some really tricky country and has about 20 bridges . It allow me to be creative to some degree as there was only the sketchiest of maps showing this proposal , also in my fictional universe I’ve imagined that the depression didn’t take place , that the road went through to the Second World War and didn’t close in 1939.Lots of extra work but a fun thing I’ve found . If it’s ever released it can also be run as it was in the real world by deleting boards. I’d never make a “model railroad “ as I don’t see the purpose of making the model railroad walls and interiors as some do but admire the routes that have been made in this format.

Although I enjoy looking at TMR screenies posted on this site, it is the real scale modelling possibilities of Trainz that got me hooked back in 2002. At that time I had spent a fair number of years doing "prototypical" HO scale modelling. The trouble with HO modelling is that you are always trying to "compress" the scenes you are trying to represent. Trainz virtual modelling offered a way around that, without requiring modelling space the size of the MCG (for international Trainzers, that is a very large space, Australia's equivalent of the Colosseum. Not sure how many Sydney harbors fit into the MCG, but I'm sure it's a lot!).

I enjoy prototypical NSWGR branch line modelling as it provides opportunities for historical research, site visits to exotic locations (Grenfell, Cowra, Eugowra, Greenethorpe, etc), and a way to preserve our railway heritage.

Phil

Last edited:
Back