Trainz Weekly News

wilts747

I use to look forward to the Trainz weekly news in my in-box but since the new format was introduced a few months ago the news seems to have diminished while the advertising has increased to the extent that todays news seemed more akin to a flyer for TRS19 than what is possibly happening in the N3V world of Trainz. While I appreciate everyone is busy with the likes of TRS19 final release and T:ANE SP3 HF1 etc. neither of which got a mention in this weeks news, even the competition winners seemed to have been replaced by TRS19 Beta screenshots, although full credit to those who took them they look great. Therefore may I suggest that if we are going to have weekly news it does at least contain some news or should the efforts involved in putting the page together be channelled towards bringing the release of TRS19 or perhaps T:ANE SP3 HF1 forward. Peter

I agree, it seems that way to me.

TANE/TS12 etc are still popular amongst the members, we deserve some news and coverage!

As for screenshots, well I can understand them not showing the old version screenshots from a commercial point of view, but not from the community point of view.

More like an advertising flyer than a newsletter.

Last edited:
It is possible that it will all "die down" and return to (near) normal after the Q4 release of TRS19, but I would expect it to "ramp up" before then.

More commercial propaganda.... TV has increased, here in the USA, the amount of advertising time as literally tens of adverts hit is every 10 to to 15 minutes. To have similar propaganda also replace actual information in the hobby arena is discouraging.

More commercial propaganda.... TV has increased, here in the USA, the amount of advertising time as literally tens of adverts hit is every 10 to to 15 minutes. To have similar propaganda also replace actual information in the hobby arena is discouraging.

Yeah, and there are some ads that take up an entire ad segment! I wonder how many millions it takes to keep that going...

Indeed. I subscribe to Sky Sports for example and am forced to endure commercials at half-time which cuts short expert's period. Cricket suffers from many ads. Try recording a 5-day Test Match!

Thanks for opportunity to rant:wave:

Yeah, and there are some ads that take up an entire ad segment! I wonder how many millions it takes to keep that going...

Indeed. I subscribe to Sky Sports for example and am forced to endure commercials at half-time which cuts short expert's period. Cricket suffers from many ads. Try recording a 5-day Test Match!

Thanks for opportunity to rant:wave:

Whatever the cost, it is added to the price of the products being advertised.

I thank my lucky stars that here in the UK we have the BBC - British Broadcasting Corporation; no ads and top quality, world leading content!

Sorry, somewhat off topic. I agree with the OP, the Trainz Newsletter is no news!

Rob.

I agree the newsletter has been a bit thin on content and more about promotion. Hopefully things will get better soon(tm), and return to regular programming. :hehe:

Advertisements... I used to work in the printing and graphics industry and typeset ads for various companies including As Seen on TV for the likes of DD7, the Ginshu Knife set, Tripledge Wipers, and so on. All really annoying stuff because the copy was always in a rush to get out the door. I would typeset the ads, my brother would paste them up then shoot the films for the newspapers, magazines, and printers.

Print ads are bad enough, but I truly hate those on the TV. I don't watch much of it, but I've noticed they've become louder and louder, and come blasting out at full volume while the program its self is so soft the volume has to be turned up. During the course of an hour show, I spend most of the time adjust the volume knob.

Advertising is not new. If you look through historic publications, there are advertisements and promotions in there for various companies at the time with some quite amusing to read. What's interesting is the idea of product sponsorship and testimonials as we see today occurred in the early part of the 19th-century. I've seen advertisements from Erard and Broadwood piano companies with testimonials written for them by Liszt and Beethoven respectively. Maezel did the same with his famous metronome and had testimonials written by Beethoven received the earliest one, Chopin, Czerny, Mendelssohn, and others.

Whether we like the advertisements or not, they do their purpose and bring in customers and more revenue to the companies that produce them.

It is a very short newsletter. I will agree with that. But they are making like no progress so yeah, how long could it possibly be?

Last edited:
I agree the newsletter has been a bit thin on content and more about promotion. Hopefully things will get better soon(tm), and return to regular programming. :hehe:

Advertisements... I used to work in the printing and graphics industry and typeset ads for various companies including As Seen on TV for the likes of DD7, the Ginshu Knife set, Tripledge Wipers, and so on. All really annoying stuff because the copy was always in a rush to get out the door. I would typeset the ads, my brother would paste them up then shoot the films for the newspapers, magazines, and printers.

Print ads are bad enough, but I truly hate those on the TV. I don't watch much of it, but I've noticed they've become louder and louder, and come blasting out at full volume while the program its self is so soft the volume has to be turned up. During the course of an hour show, I spend most of the time adjust the volume knob.

Advertising is not new. If you look through historic publications, there are advertisements and promotions in there for various companies at the time with some quite amusing to read. What's interesting is the idea of product sponsorship and testimonials as we see today occurred in the early part of the 19th-century. I've seen advertisements from Erard and Broadwood piano companies with testimonials written for them by Liszt and Beethoven respectively. Maezel did the same with his famous metronome and had testimonials written by Beethoven received the earliest one, Chopin, Czerny, Mendelssohn, and others.

Whether we like the advertisements or not, they do their purpose and bring in customers and more revenue to the companies that produce them.

The mute button is your friend :)

I rarely watch TV because of the asinine commercials. It's become clear that most of them are geared to the young and black watchers, from the amount of loud bassy and rap music that so many advertisers seem to think is "cool." I enjoy public television and Turner Classic Movies and Netflix. You guys in the UK are lucky not to have to endure this advertising garbage. My favorite BBC drama is "Call the Midwife." Just about the best show I've seen in a long long time.

Now as to the Trainz news, I was under the impression that as a Gold surscriber, I'd be getting FREE assets every month. Today I went to the site and lo and behold, if I want Gold Club stuff, I still gotta PAY for it. Bummer. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to the offer.

While on the topic of TV commercials... I have to agree that ads are just getting more and more and more and more annoying. Like car advertisements,the "New" cars are just getting uglier and uglier then ever before,making the cars harder to look at,and the ads are all "Brag,brag,brag" and "Bash the other car company's" which makes them hard to hear and look at,while some car ads in car magazines can be funny (Like the ad for the 2019 Honda insight hybrid,with the "Mehmobile" in it?),but the TV ones are terrible.

And in my opinion,Hyundai is notorious for making ugly cars (Mainly the 2018 and the 2019 ones.) and having very "Brag,brag,brag" and "Bash all of the other car company's in this ad" advertisements. Most of the 2019 ones remind me of some kind of fish,while the 2019 kona (I think it's called that.) is just... unexplainable in it's appearance. And it has a bad appearance in my opinion.

Anyways,back on topic... N3V obviously wants you to buy TRS2019... and a new PC to run it! (Or GPU.) That is probably why it's mostly TRS2019 ads in N3V's "News settler"... I hope on getting a new PC soon,a quad or 6 core CPU in the 3 GHZ range,a NVIDIA GTX 10-xx series GPU,and at least a 500 watt PSU.

Old 2 GHZ range dual cores don't run T:ANE very well on high settings and a lower end NVIDIA GPU doesn't help either.:p

I don't like the styling of new cars. They look too flashy much like late 1950s and early 1960s. It could be very expensive to repair cars damaged in accidents. I don't trust automatic stopping systems. I don't trust "self-driving" systems. People in USA drive huge SUVs and pickup trucks instead of regular cars. Ford Motors and maybe Chrysler Motors plan to stop making regular cars.

Definitely. Then I doze off during and ad and forget to turn on the sound again when the program comes on.

Totally off topic but on the (very) odd occasion when I would watch the TV show Baywatch (just for laughs mind you, nothing else) I found that turning the sound off made absolutely no difference to understanding the plot.:hehe:

The newsletter would be an ideal medium to set out the timeline for incoming updates to the EA version, running up to main release. If all it's going to do is spam advertising then I will be unsubscribing.

As regards adverts in general, I find local newspaper websites the worst. Even with pop ups disabled there are so many commercials and Flash windows trying to open and play, plus surveys, you can't read the actual articles.

People in USA drive huge SUVs and pickup trucks instead of regular cars.

OT but here in the UK, SUV or at least mini-SUV's are more popular, even I took the plunge last year and bought a Kia Sportage. The advantages are higher driving position so you can see the idiots in Beamers or Audis trying to cut you up, step into the vehicle not down and generally more space and comfort with fuel economy still on a par with a hatchback. Disadvantages - most of our UK roads haven't changed since the 60's, narrow lanes, cramped roundabouts and tightly packed parking spaces which makes piloting a slightly larger, wider vehicle more of a challenge.

The latest newsletter had the following information for Readers:
- updated USRA Light Pacific
- info on Gold and Silver Class DLC listing for October
- new product release on iOS
- screenshots
- info on TurfFX samples

The only marketing is the DLC info but I’m not sure how we can advise customers and potential customers of what is newly available.

We we have said we’re polishing TRS19 and preparing the additional builtin content for release. If we put a date on the release and miss it, people are disappointed. If we release it on a specific date and it isn’t ready people are disappointed. Therefore we release the information when we know things are ready.

The scroll bar is your friend - not interested in something, scroll on. But for those that are interested, click to expand.

Unsubscribing will ensure you avoid seeing product release info but you will also miss out on sales notifications, and detailed news when we do have more details to share.

If there are other things you would like to see included each week then please let us know.

Back