"Auto-hide the menubar" and TRS19 Driver

Rarely used the auto hide as normally have forgotten about the option. Use F5 instead.

Do not mind the animated faces as have got used to them. If possible, would like to see the "currently selected driver" name showing.
The window with the "drivers", seems a bit big. Would it possible to be able to reduce/increase the window by adjusting the sides/top/bottom with the mouse?
The slider for reducing/enlarging the Ui size is great.

OK, so here's a rather radical idea. Why not a HUD that mimics what the engineer of a real locomotive sees?

I've always admired the realism of the locomotives and cabs of JointedRail, particularly the "all glass" display used in the cab of their SD70MAC. Why not use a HUD based on the display used in this locomotive:

It provides all the information that the engineer would actually see. Add a clock and an indication of the gradient and it would be perfect. Locate it in the bottom right corner. Of course it would have to be scaled in size and coloured to make it visible under all conditions. Why not? And surely it would also be possible to use a similar concept for steam locomotives?

Phil

I like the new HUD they have implemented and I never cared about the top bar. I also do the same thing when taking screenshots which is pressing F5 to remove the HUD and hiding the junction overlays or just not removing either sometimes. That was mainly in Surveyor or when I was still building/modifying a route that I didn't remove the HUD. I think the clock being moved to the bottom right is a fine idea considering everything is already there. I also agree that the abbreviations are a horrible idea and that they need to be spelled out completely.

The drivers are just plain creepy. I agree with Phil on that SO MUCH. I liked the photos much better because it didn't feel like the driver was staring into your very soul. Although I will admit some of the driver photos were super odd too. Another idea would just be to remove them all together and replace them with maybe the locomotive's name and running number list which would work in the same way. You could have the photo of the loco in place of the driver's and we wouldn't have to deal with a limited amount of drivers anymore. When you would hover over the photo of that loco, it would tell you the name of it, like BNSF SD70ACe 1 and the running number #7809 as two examples. So all together it would be BNSF SD70ACe 1 #7809 and you could see that on the map of the route as well. When they are consisted/MUed together it would just show the first loco's name and running number. Yes it is longer name than "Alan" but when can you ever see the driver's name except in the middle of no where anyway. I have a ton of trouble trying to find their name and loco on the map because it gets lost in all the junctions and other names of drivers, industries and objects.

Last edited:
Snip...

The drivers are just plain creepy. I agree with Phil on that SO MUCH. I liked the photos much better because it didn't feel like the driver was staring into your very soul. Although I will admit some of the driver photos were super odd too. Another idea would just be to remove them all together and replace them with maybe the locomotive's name and running number list which would work in the same way. You could have the photo of the loco in place of the driver's and we wouldn't have to deal with a limited amount of drivers anymore. When you would hover over the photo of that loco, it would tell you the name of it, like BNSF SD70ACe 1 and the running number #7809 as two examples. So all together it would be BNSF SD70ACe 1 #7809 and you could see that on the map of the route as well. When they are consisted/MUed together it would just show the first loco's name and running number. Yes it is longer name than "Alan" but when can you ever see the driver's name except in the middle of no where anyway. I have a ton of trouble trying to find their name and loco on the map because it gets lost in all the junctions and other names of drivers, industries and objects.

I really like this idea! I never was a big fan of the individual drivers, and the new animated drivers are very creepy. I would vote for the loco photos and running numbers to identify individual consists if there is a chance this could be changed in the future.

Just had to add my voice to the "creepy driver" objections! They really are bad. Replacing them with the loco id makes much more sense and wouldn't creep us all out! Regards. Colin.

Actually two of the drivers are not at all bad, the rest are straight out of Hammer Horrors though.

Although I do not yet have TRS19 (be not the first to take up the new nor yet the last to cast the old aside - Chinese saying) I use the top menu bar regularly and would hate to see it disappear. Having watched some videos I agree whole heartedly with those who hate the driver images; they are ghastly. Being able to see the loco as in TS12 is MUCH more useful.

Last edited:
Auto hide the menu bar is an option anyway, so if people do not want it auto hid they shoould simply not tick the option in 'settings'. Please leave the option for those of us who like a clear screen to watch the trains.

What we do need is the return of the F6 key option to hide all the white mess at bottom screen but show the essential 'Speed, speed limit and session time', when necessary, in a small, unintrusive box at top right, as in TANE.

ingha

I really like this idea! I never was a big fan of the individual drivers, and the new animated drivers are very creepy. I would vote for the loco photos and running numbers to identify individual consists if there is a chance this could be changed in the future.

Made its own thread for it too by the way :D.

Back