Too much light.

Hi

One thing that I never see mentioned with regard to routes looking too bright is the settings for the individuals monitor. My son is an enthusiastic photographer and he brought his software and hardware round to profile my monitor for me. I was amazed at how dim the screen appeared after he'd finished but the colours appear more natural to me now. It made me wonder if some of these complaints about brightness in the display are due to using the default settings for monitors which are generally too bright.

Regards

Brian

Jango - Love your new White Pass screenshots! Shows what TRS2019 is capable of producing when in a master craftsman's hands.
Like you, I remove all preset Post Processing settings and prefer to set mine manually for much more realistic results.

Kennilworth - Yes - a properly calibrated monitor is essential if one is to be serious about achieving correct lighting levels and shadow effects fidelity.

Last edited:
One thing is personalization, another of same importance is ability to be shared. Why other games supports profiles for example. Why each single user of Trainz is forced to experimentate upon each route or even every single session without possibility to use shared environment setting from someone else, whose settings looks fine? That is absolutely user unfriendly and moreover step back in comparison with previous versions.

ou can tell by simple observation that some of the screen shots and scenerry are sublime, bordering on wonderful. Others are, indeed, a washed out bit of nothingness.

I have tried telling our friends from N3V (Tony) that now that we are into a higher cost regime there is a much higher call upon N3V to get theses things right or logged up somewhere that we all have access to.

Still no kind of a response from N3V showing qany interest in assisting those of us with poorer eyesight. Not a big deal when you're still in your prime but if ever a piece of software might have been geared a little bit towards a slightly older market then TRS19 et al must surely be it.

I am not sure that it would take much effort to tweak it a bit and I am absolutely certain that ALL users would benefit.

Y

Hi

One thing that I never see mentioned with regard to routes looking too bright is the settings for the individuals monitor. My son is an enthusiastic photographer and he brought his software and hardware round to profile my monitor for me. I was amazed at how dim the screen appeared after he'd finished but the colours appear more natural to me now. It made me wonder if some of these complaints about brightness in the display are due to using the default settings for monitors which are generally too bright.

Regards

Brian

I use a regularly-calibrated large NEC high-end monitor (obtained primarily to serve my photoshopping) and I can tell you that TS2019 still displays, as a default, insipid, washed-out and over-bright colours in screenshots.

It certainly suits those blue-sky sunny days in the snowy mountains but not much else. Even those have foliage that looks like its all been boiled to leech out the chlorophyll then put back. I'm not a fan of the super-saturated HDR style look but neither do I like scenes of the natural world that are reminiscent of faded photographic prints that have been hung in a sunny spot for 10 years.

Those who've got to grips with the lighting and colour controls of TS2019 tell us that its capable of displaying colour and tone in exactly the same way as in the default lighting of TANE. This being so, the onus is surely on N3V to supply either pre-set lighting & colour profiles that can be chosen with one-click (as in Adobe Lightroom and similar software); or to make the lighting controls far more accessible & user-friendly than they are at present.

Lataxe

Interestingly, I seem to remember that when TANE was first released there were complaints that the scenes were "too bright" compared to TS12.

Blaming users' monitors for the silvery default light conditions in TRS2019 is at best misdirection and at worst on a par with the company citing cat hair in the intake grilles when 1.0 TANE was burning out our GPU's and CPU's. There are at least two issues here which N3V ought to be looking at prior to full release - the standard level of lighting and a means to display the actual rgb numerical settings and to export the values for use elsewhere.

I just received my latest bank statement and with the exchange rate and currency fees I paid nearly £60 for TRS2019. This is way beyond normal PC game pricing and into the realms of premium software. As noted above by another poster, this should command premium attention by the developer and publisher, IMHO.

I found it can also depend on what textures are used as to how the lighting will play too. This is especially so with my old, custom routes that were imported into trs12. A lot of texture had to be replaced in trs12, then replaced again for T:ANE and now some textures need to be replaced in TRS19. Do not know whether it will be done in TSR19 as they were only transferred over more for nostalgia reasons.

The lighting is no big deal (to me) as the need to adjust it for each route to try and get the look/feel is different for each. It is fun playing about with the lighting, ambience, etc anyway.

If I have lighting settings that I really like, screenshots are taken of these settings and these are used for reference later when/if needed. Has come in handy a couple of times.

Last edited:
I just received my latest bank statement and with the exchange rate and currency fees I paid nearly £60 for TRS2019. This is way beyond normal PC game pricing and into the realms of premium software. As noted above by another poster, this should command premium attention by the developer and publisher, IMHO.
Pricing for the game is very realistic and much cheaper than what I pay for a console game or most other PC games for that matter. (for the same price I can get the latest version of Football Manager - a spreadsheet on steroids - which includes far less an upgrade from the previous version than TS12 to T:ANE or T:ANE to TRS19)
Also by comparison with "premium" game companies, we need to remember that N3V is tiny and a tiny niche market developer at that. So, realistically any attention given to problems away from the main focus comes at a premium and goes a long way to understanding why so many great ideas from the community never seem to be implemented.
cheers
Graeme

I recall paying much more than ~US$70 for Kickstarter access to T:ANE and have had countless hours of pleasurable use of this remarkable railway simulator over 3 blissful years. T:ANE Rocks! (But TRS2019 is even better!!)
There's more control over Lighting, Environmental and Post Processing effects than we had in T:ANE. It's just the model and methods that have changed in the latest Trainz iteration.

Don't judge the lighting levels by looking at legacy routes and sessions brought over from previous versions of Trainz. They were created using a different lighting model, and use textures that often date back to the Ark.
As ARhian7 above says, it's so easy (and fun) to adjust the settings to suit your tastes/ needs. Once done, they can be saved to preserve your preferences.

Last edited:
My monitor displays T:ane perfectly, but TRS 2019,not so much. Must be the Monitor.:hehe:
It still could be your monitor. If you have contrast and brightness set higher than normal it will brighten TANE and over-brighten TRS19.
Fact: Adjusting monitor settings will adjust the appearance.
Subjective opinion: If TANE is “bright” then your monitor settings are too high.

A further point to add - Pre-trs19 routes have widely different environment settings. There is no doubt that a brightly lit route in TANE will be brighter in Trs19. We have made some adjustments to the lighting levels of imported routes but perhaps these need further adjustments.

All that said, we’re still polishing and tweaking. What would be very useful would be for those who think the current setup is too bright to recalibrate their monitor and report back the effects. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/amp/

Also provide feedback on KSC from TANE vs the same route in trs19 as a standard example and then provide a Kuid for an overbright route.

Last edited:
Yes Tony i do agree with you ,, today i changed my HDMI port around on my TV Sony Bravia's for my computers that run Trainz and there was a major difference in the contrast and brightness because i had already adjusted the first port i used over a year ago and had altered the picture to best suite Trainz,, so i think you are right on the money there,,
And i do think this is working out to be the best version TRS19 of Trainz so far,,,

OK, so problem with not good looking default lightning&colours is in my monitor :D I have to find proper settings of my monitor for each route by myself... And system of ingame environmental settings is excellent and fully shareable. I do know no other game requiring such a big interventions into the default visual settings, like Trainz, thats why I call for easier way to set it and share. If You would check some Screenshots of European trains thread screens for example, You would see some excellent looking ones, but there is no chance that author would be able to share the settings with You except making several screenshots and sending You this pictures via email. And still there is possibility that settings will be not replicated satisfyingly because lack of numerical scales. Are we living really in 21st century? There appeared suspiciously too much N3V advocates here after the critique, are they bribed, blind, mad or everything together?

OK, so problem with not good looking default lightning&colours is in my monitor :D I have to find proper settings of my monitor for each route by myself... And system of ingame environmental settings is excellent and fully shareable. I do know no other game requiring such a big interventions into the default visual settings, like Trainz, thats why I call for easier way to set it and share. If You would check some Screenshots of European trains thread screens for example, You would see some excellent looking ones, but there is no chance that author would be able to share the settings with You except making several screenshots and sending You this pictures via email. And still there is possibility that settings will be not replicated satisfyingly because lack of numerical scales. Are we living really in 21st century? There appeared suspiciously too much N3V advocates here after the critique, are they bribed, blind, mad or everything together?

We need to use one of these to adjust the color profiles for each route. :hehe:

spyder2pro_onscreen-lg.jpg

Last edited:
I use this here. A real one and not this web image and it came with an Agfa scanner we had many moons ago. It's a lot less expensive than a display calibrator:

LaserSoft_Imaging_LA1209_35mm_Kodachrome_IT8_Calibration_692564.jpg

Sorry but I still think it is utter rubbish to suggest the shortfalls in TRS2019 lighting are a result of monitor settings - settings which work perfectly fine for every other piece of software that is in use on the PC. The program should be set up correctly by default and any user adjustments made at a software not hardware level... :eek:

Sorry but I still think it is utter rubbish to suggest the shortfalls in TRS2019 lighting are a result of monitor settings - settings which work perfectly fine for every other piece of software that is in use on the PC. The program should be set up correctly by default and any user adjustments made at a software not hardware level... :eek:

Yeah... Thus my bit of a joke there about the monitor calibrator. I got in trouble for removing one of those once because it was in my way when I was fixing someone's Mac because I couldn't see the error message on the screen. Oops!

Yeah... Thus my bit of a joke there about the monitor calibrator. I got in trouble for removing one of those once because it was in my way when I was fixing someone's Mac because I couldn't see the error message on the screen. Oops!

Sorry John, sense of humour failure on my part... :)

Not saying it doesn't hurt to properly calibrate your monitor once in a while but it shouldn't be the primary means of changing how a game looks.

Pricing for the game is very realistic and much cheaper than what I pay for a console game or most other PC games for that matter.

Uh, what? TRS19 is going for $70 base, but most Triple-A games nowadays are $60 at most, last time i checked.

PC_Ace said:
Don't judge the lighting levels by looking at legacy routes and sessions brought over from previous versions of Trainz. They were created using a different lighting model, and use textures that often date back to the Ark.

Except i will judge the lighting because i've experimented with it myself and it leaves a lot to be desired.

--------

It dould be nice if we could have RGB or Hex values for changing lighting instead of dials and sliders; it'd make things a lot easier and concise.

Last edited:
Sorry you’ve missed the point of my post (and unfortunately didn’t provide any additional details as to whether you are referring to builtin or specific 3rd party routes so I am none the wiser).

1. Calibrate your monitor once. If you want Tane to look bright, up the monitor settings. If you want trs19 to look right, calibrate to “normal “ settings (or perhaps to your individual taste).

The key point is that at any monitor settings Tane will look considerably darker than trs19. Then the textures used will either make things better or worse.

2. Expect that routes created over the past 15 years to have wildly different environment settings. Some will look great without change in trs19. Others will require resetting of the environment settings to suit your taste.

The problem here is that “brightness “ is subjective. That is why every monitor has contrast and brightness controls.

There is no way to programmatically say “make this route the perfect brightness for everyone “ (or adjust every old route to from the Jet days or the Tane engine days to look just right with the new PBR materials and lighting).

Back