Thunderbird, too many false positives

euromodeller

Imagineer
I hope this is the right section to post in.

Thunderbird email client......

I have used Thunderbird as an email client for many, many years without serious problem, but now I am getting fed up with the amount of false positives it is giving regarding 'junk mail' that is not junk.

I have used their filters accordingly and still get no improvement, latest event is that I have just uploaded quite a few items to the DLS and all of N3V's messages end up in the Junk folder.
Researching on the web tells me I am not the only one that has the problem, I 'train' TB as instructed but now it seems that in order for TB to accept a sender as 'not junk' is to tell TB hundreds of times by clicking the Junk icon each time that it isn't and it just might change its ways.
This has been going on for at least a year, mostly big names like Nikon Newsletter, etc that must send out many emails per hour.
I haven't got enough years left on this planet to keep educating TB hundreds of times a day.
I should add that Yahoo and Google do not flag these messages as junk.
I have yahoo.co.uk, ymail.com, gmail.com and various personal website email accounts, I was going to dump Yahoo but since they were taken over things have not been that bad but I dislike their email client pages!

So....recommendations please for email clients...or should I (heaven forbid) just lump them all on my gmail account page?

Is Postbox any good?

I've used Thunderbird for as long as it's existed and have zero problems with it's filters. might want to check how you have set them up as it's a user setting.
I've only ever had to allow an email sender once in Thunderbird.
Possibility is you have set up a filter based on a word or a phrase which is common to a lot of emails and that is why they are getting filtered.
I've never set up any blocking filters in Thunderbird, I do that on the email webpage, just use allow filters in Thunderbird so Thunderbirds Junk folder never has anything in it however it is visible in Gmails junk folder which with IMAP Thunderbird has access to should I need to check.
Junk folder, possibility is you may be seeing your email providers junk folder and not Thunderbirds.

Hi Malc, thanks for your input.
Today's 'junk' is on a ymail address, I closed TB and opened the Yahoo mail page, no 'junk' was shown against the same messages.
I have never set any word blocking on TB, don't know how to!
I've just reset the TB junk training data and will see how it goes.

Quick update, since resetting the training data I've had no more false positives.
I've done this in the past but it never stopped them, this time it seems to have worked.
I wonder if something changed in a TB update?

It matters not now, all is fine again :)

I don't think the update did anything to cause this issue. I remember users at my last employer having the same issue and that was back in the 2010-2013 time frame. Periodically something would corrupt the filter and junk would either get ignored or the filter would trap everything. Resetting the filter fixed that.

The users would periodically lose their mailbox too, causing panic beyond panic with multiple calls to the helpdesk. Being Oracle we also had to deal with the Beehive server, which would act up on its own causing all mail clients to lose connection and settings. Gack! I don't miss that at all.

Last edited:
I use Postbox but with Gmail and Outlook. I think I depend on Gmail and Outlook to screen junk. Gmail seem particularly good at it except for some Yahoo email accounts and one Gmail account which it insists do not have the correct security settings on the outgoing mail server.

Cheerio John

Back