New Route, Lithgow Zig-Zag N.S.W.

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Must be 5 months since I started working on this route set in Australia. I had just bought A new Era with SP1, and now we are up to SP3, so this is my first so forgive any crudeness! I've tried to be as accurate with this route, which covers the old Zig-Zag line near Lithgow on the far side of the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. As many would appreciate this is a steep learning curve which I am still working on. As I've set it in 1910, the year the Zig-Zag was closed and replaced by a 10 tunnel deviation to avoid the bottle-neck and reduce the grade from 1 in 42 to 1 in 90, I've found it hard to find suitable accessories and only one biplane to throw in although it wasn't built until the 1930's. Also a slight lack of rolling stock for the NSWGR (Government Railways) for the period, but enough to make it look reasonable. Lots of old items that just won't run with TANE, as I'm sure you know.

The line starts just outside Mt. Victoria, a station built after the line went through to Bowenfelds where my route ends (so far). The line itself through the Zig-Zag was built in 1869 with 2 tunnels and 3 stone viaducts on the rock face. With the use of contour maps I finally got more accurate, even if Lithgow is now 140 metres lower in altitude than it should be...! I laid the track to the actual grade, but I did have problems with the grade changing when I next worked on the route, and correcting that seemed damn fiddly. However it's done finally although I may yet tweak it. I have only just discovered PGibbons did a similar route in a very old version of Trainz. Mine is dare I say more accurate ( I work on the Zig-Zag from time to time and have lived many years in the Blue Mountains), although I don't have the route making experience of others. I am also working on numerous sessions, again another learning experience. I'm not fond of downloading routes, only to find they have no sessions. Give me a challenge I say!

Next I'll try to add some pictures, but my one previous attempt produced a tiny pic, not full size, so let's see what happens this time. When I finally upload it, I'll post here. As work keeps me busy and exhausted, it may not be soon but I hope within a week.

Motor-rails-entering-Clarence-tunnel%2C-Lithgow-Zig-Zag.jpg

Good story and nice screenshot :)

I’ll be following your progress / looking out for your future screenshots!

Nice screenshots Alikiwi - great detail. I look forward to downloading your route, when it's available.

Cheers,
Roy

Another screenshot, not as good but there you go. Every drive session shows something that needs adjusting though!

Approaching-Top-Points%2C-%232-viaduct-below-%28right%29.jpg

This is a nice route and a great start. :)

Finding things to fix is part of the game when it comes to route building. My big 14 year-old route still gets checked as I drive, and I'm still finding things like spiky points from squishing down the grade to floating things, or sometimes implausible track grades that looked fine when first laid down but turn out to be wicked steep and need some lowering. As I go along, I jot them down on paper as I see them then go back and fix them only to find more on the way.

Great to see this area in a new light. My original version ( from 2003) was very much a work of learning and in no way accurate on topography, before I found ,HOG and TransDEM.
I look forward to your route on DLS.
PG

:wave: Evening Sir,

Great to read about your Route history Etc.

Everyone has a life to live, and so do you, take it all in stride......

I would think, knowing how much Trainz changes over the years, conversely it takes a bit too upgrade the Route for the newer versions. Of course not all older Routes get updated.

:cool: So I applaud your effort too upgrade the Route..........

So, working on a few details and another session, so added a sheep yard and cattle yard. However, the 2 NSWGR cattle wagons I can find are not inter-active, so don't load stock. Doing that manually isn't how the game is supposed to be played. I'm guessing sheep wagons will have the same issue especially when I'm aiming for steam era rolling stock. Does anyone know of any source of interactive wagons?
Top%2C-east-end-of-Lithgow-near-Eskbank-Station-%28NSW%29.jpg

I managed to sort the cattle wagons and added the cargo to a BSV cattle wagon. (The LARS cattle wagon won't automatically load.) Sheep however seems a no-go. Can't add produce to the 8 wheel wagon, can't change stock in the sheep yard. Meanwhile another view whilst adjusting things.

Passing-Trains%2C-Lithgow-Zig-Zag%2C-circa-1910.jpg

Sheep loading just doesn't work as noted. I'm hoping (for a miracle?0 that the wagon can be updated. Meanwhile, I'm running into the same problem with general goods! the illustration shows adding something doesn't always work! Odd to discover that items installed with the product are actually way out of day. This small goods shed is rated for Build version 2!!!
Not-exactly-how-goods-should-load.....jpg

I'm working on a route in tane which some bits of it started in ts2004 any moved through newer versions to tane
Some of my dependencies are build 1.3
In most cases you have no choice not many bridges,tunnels and signals etc have been upgraded since original release
So they remain as in most cases I cant find a suitable replacement in a current build
Most rolling stock,locos,track etc keep getting upgraded but they have to be attached to 10yr old plus bridges tunnels crossings etc which are not

My only practical solution was to use flat cars to load that cargo. I might double check if I can alter the goods shed to use something else, but think that wasn't possible. I've fixed the sheep wagon (I think) to accept merinos. But then there is a problem with single track, either I can't control a switch or the AI can't. If I get passed that problem, then this happens >>> !!!
Well-that%27s-crazy%2C-how-can-a-train-pass-through-another%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F%3F.jpg

Finally fixed the sheep wagon, by doing what was first suggested a second time! No idea why it didn't work the first time. Maybe after altering the config file I failed, or needed to shut down the game completely and restart? Now if I can solve this issue of problems passing on single track, I may be ready to upload the route. I also altered the sheep yard to have 256 sheep (max. possible due to game restrictions), but as one wagon takes 200 I added a second yard. Even so that won't fully load 3 wagons, so I had to preload some of them for a mere 7 consist.

Still fine tuning the route and 6 sessions. After a windows update, the AI engine on the left vanished and I had to restart the session! Hopefully I'll have it ready to upload soon. Anyone want a CDP and test it first for any errors, given this is my first layout?
Bottom-Points-Station%2C-the-Zig-Zag-near-Lithgow-NSW-circa-1910.jpg

Still adjusting things although it's essentially complete. Just wish there were more suitable period buildings, and slight problem with HOTT 110m wide platform and people half buried in actual platforms! Sometimes you have to use it because a station building that suits isn't interactive, although I haven't sorted Bowenfelds station as (as usual) its on a gradient and the HOTT is fixed at being level.

I have also started the extension towards Bathurst and learning how the alignement between Bowenfelds and Wallerawang has greatly changed over the years and that there's an old tunnel under Tunnel Hill! (I drive over it every week!)

Meanwhile further west working on the extension from Bowenfels to Bathurst, via Wallerawang, circa 1911.
Bathurst-to-Bowenfels-circa-1911-WIP..jpg

Back