Will the real Rosworth Vale please stand up!

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
As I'm presently (slowly) working on upgrading Middle Vales at the moment I thought I'd take a look at Rosworth Vales, but I was really surprised to discover 53 versions of Rosworth Vale on the DLS! Plainly most are somebody's re-mix of the original, but in most cases the descriptions and thumbnail picture are exactly the same as the original so it's impossible to tell what may or may not have been done to the original route.

So can anyone advise what re-mixed versions might be worth looking at? Steam era is prefered since I have a severe dislike of diesels; - dating from when I was 5 years old and saw my first diesel locomotive and hated it.

If Rosworth Vale was on mobile, I'd say someone cloned and uploaded the layout onto the DLS for storage reasons. Built-in routes such as City and Country USA suffer the same problem.

You could try exporting it from TS2009/2010,as the route was a built-in to both TS2010 and TS2009,although when the track was replaced which caused the build number to go up on the clone which made it faulty,the error is easily fixed if you get the right tag removed. You also might have to bring some TS2009/2010 built-in content to TS12/TANE to.

And yes,Rosworth Vale is also a mobile built-in,I don't understand why people have to upload clones of it up to the DLS,I wish N3V would do something about this already...:eek:

Uploading to the DLS is probably the fastest way for mobile users to backup their content, or it could be a youngster who doesn't know what he's doing.

Original by chilianllama

Best by driver_col for TANE + session which is the only one I have.

All the 3.8 versions will be Ipad / Android junk so wouldn't bother even looking at them

Ah that explains it then. I wasn't even aware that there were Ipad and Android versions of Trainz and that those who are afflicted with such versions were using the DLS in that way. I was going to check out the driver_col version since it would a fair bet that it would be worthwhile.

As Malcolm notes, all the mobile versions backup to the DLS.
This isn't helped by the multiplayer system which requires all the players to have the same route/session.

Use the content manager:-
Either add a filter to the search criteria "min build" = 4.0
Or add another column to the result table (move mouse to the table header, right click & add column of build number). By clicking on the column header, the search results are ordered by that parameter.

Colin

Well I've just checked out driver_col's Rosworth route for TANE and now I'm wondering why I bother trying to build layouts and I should just take up collecting souvenir teaspoons instead.

Well I've just checked out driver_col's Rosworth route for TANE and now I'm wondering why I bother trying to build layouts and I should just take up collecting souvenir teaspoons instead.

Before you collect teaspoons collect all of driver_col's routes, you will not be disappointed.

Ken

The original Rosworth Vale was uploaded in 2004, by chileanllama for TRS 2004.
Edit! Wrong!
Originally in 2003 for Ultimate Trainz - as Rosworth Vale HQ.

It's worth downloading and running the session for it - you'll see how the route has been updated since the original.

Don't give up - using surveyor is fairly straightforward, but the temptation is to go overboard in size and get lost. I've used TransDem to re-create Fife, and realise that it's far beyond my capabilities to model properly...
I admit that I enjoy devising sessions and managing the operations more than driving or modelling (no comments about "fat controller, please!).

Try starting with one of the room sized layouts, using a straightforward track plan. Try to restrict yourself to just built-in content, though it's biased to US content...

Or, take an old layout and working gradually, bring it up to TS19 content.

Some people enjoy creating assets, some layouts, others driving. There's no single "right" way to enjoy Trains.

Colin

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions and advice ColPrice2002. Actually at the moment I am working on turning Middle Vales into a country railway secondary route in my usual, - 'Beeching-was-kidnapped-by-aliens-and-diesels-never-happened', - style of doing things. It was just interesting to see driver_col's interpretation of a railway in a landscape as compared with my own one using essentially the same identical set of baseboards. In the same location (pictured) as I built a sleepy Borders village/small town, driver_col built a bustling significant railway hub and large town. A different approach, but just as valid to my mind.

f2rPIEW.jpg

And yes Ken, I am going to have a look at others of driver_col's layouts because he definitely does have a way with route building and I think I could learn a lot as well as 'play trains' on a well built selection of quality routes.

Hi,

Looks good!

I've been "playing" at updating a route...

most useful tools are the "Bulk asset update/replace" - I've been using that to replace the old fashioned "cardboard cutout" trees with more modern ones
and the "Add random scenery"tool to add "forests" - you can add several items to the "add" list", then define an area for fill.

All the best,

Colin

What an excellent thread. Have just d/l Restormel Castle, one of my all time favourites. I include S&C & PLL as favourites also.

Have not looked at Restformel in CM yet but think that I shall need a refresher on Tane SP3 CM:eek:

Regards,
Sellick

Well, I do say, I have just run driver_col's Rosworth Vale on TRS 19 and it does look good.
The landscape is the best I have seen for Rosworth Vale since 2004, I must say.

A bit nonplussed about removing signal numbers; were they causing issues in the session, Col?

Another 5 City and Country USA on CM today, this is just absurd!

I think if we all used CM as free storage/backup then the servers would grind to a halt.

N3V need to put a halt to this practice.

I agree that it really detracts from ease of use of the DLS.

Unfortunately, the apple & android apps save directly to the DLS - if I remember my brief time with them. There isn't the option for saving locally..
Colin

Well, I do say, I have just run driver_col's Rosworth Vale on TRS 19 and it does look good.
The landscape is the best I have seen for Rosworth Vale since 2004, I must say.

A bit nonplussed about removing signal numbers; were they causing issues in the session, Col?
My apologies, but I just accidentally came across this thread! To answer your question - yes. I found it frustrating to keep passing signals with numbers "in limbo" near their base! As I could not hide them, I just replaced them with a period.

On a change of topic ... on the DLS now is a TRS2019 version of Tristyn so if you have TRS20219; like my Routes in general, and have no problem with GWR operations, then I think that you will enjoy it. Regards. Colin.

Back