Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explanation of absence

Oh yes Meccano. I had some of that when I was a kiddy. A big box of it purchased from a junk shop. Great fun, though I never seemed to have enough nuts and bolts and always ran out of them part way through building something.

And yes Ray, I had some Bayko too; - went very nicely with my Hornby clockwork trainset.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Mick,
    Meccano was my biggest love as a child ... you now have returned big memories of joy for me that i had making all sorts and being told off for putting my light back on once i knew my dad had gone bed .
    I may have to look into this now and maybe buy for my grandsons ... yes not me my grandsons .
    But for your absence ill still have to see a doctors sick note.

Thanks for bringing back a big smile mick
    Intel i7-4790k 4.00GHZ,Water Cooled, Ram:32gb GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    HDD's 1TB SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB Internal ,1TB SSD , 3TB External

United States of America, CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Face it Mick, you were never truly absent. Trainz is like that dreadful Eagles song, "Hotel California" - check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

* ducks head and waits for pummeling from Eagles fans*
    Dreadful????? Pummel Pummel Pummel!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by BRClass66 View Post
    Mick,
    Meccano was my biggest love as a child ... you now have returned big memories of joy for me that i had making all sorts and being told off for putting my light back on once i knew my dad had gone bed .
    I may have to look into this now and maybe buy for my grandsons ... yes not me my grandsons .
    But for your absence ill still have to see a doctors sick note.

Thanks for bringing back a big smile mick
    Funny, I used to get up at five in the morning, steal some of my mum's home-made cakes and put together all kinds of silly contraptions.
    I left my extensive Meccano collection with my nephew in Wales when I moved to California forty years ago. I recently asked him if I could have it back, and he told me that just a few weeks ago he had given it to the kids next door, after keeping it for me for forty years!!

If you want to reminisce I strongly recommend the NZMeccano website. Tons of great info.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by ray_whiley View Post
    I had what must have been one of the earliest Meccano sets as I "inherited" it from my uncle who was born in the early 1900s - all silver in colour. Later ones were red and green.

Still reminiscing - Trix made an alternative with a much closer pattern of holes, and maybe
    somewhat inferior.

A useful "toy" for railway modellers was Bayko _ individual bricks which could be cemented together
    to make buildings. Then the cement could be dissolved to start all over again.

Anyone else remember these?

Ray
    I had a Bayko set as well, and if I remember correctly, Bayko was put together with wire rods holding the brick blocks together. The one with cement was Minibrix.

I'm restoring a pile of rusty metal into a bright shiny red-and-green Number Nine set from the late 'fifties. It's fun sitting in the garden in the sun, scraping away at this stuff and bringing it back to life. Be careful about buying it on eBay though, it can be addictive!

I had a Formo train set, very unususal, made by Graham Farish of high-end model trains fame. It didn't work well, and was replaced by Tri-ang.

Cheers,
    Mick
    Last edited by Mick_Berg; September 10th, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

It's nice to get all these replies, I didn't expect so many.

For anyone wanting to refresh their memories with Meccano, I recommend the NZMeccano website. Full of fascinating information, also every Meccano Magazine is available for download.

Some amazing models have been made, those by Tim Robinson I recommend especially. Even a differential analyser and a model of the Babbage Calculating Engine. And always the famous Loom and Meccanograph.

Mick
    Last edited by Mick_Berg; September 10th, 2018 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Oh yes Meccano. I had some of that when I was a kiddy. A big box of it purchased from a junk shop. Great fun, though I never seemed to have enough nuts and bolts and always ran out of them part way through building something.

And yes Ray, I had some Bayko too; - went very nicely with my Hornby clockwork trainset.
    The nuts and bolts were probably all hiding in the shag carpet and then got vacuumed up by Mum.................

Mick