Is GTX 1080 the Best Nvida Card for Trainz 2019?

crisger

RR Mod Maker
I will upgrade my card to whatever is best...is GTX 1080 the best so far ?

thanks

My machines can run anything but want the very best card to see all of the effects in full.

Chris

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Cheerio John

No benchmarks or reviews yet just some not as good as originally claimed according to leaked Nvidia Benchmarks, unusually there is not as much excitement over the 20XX series. Unproved new technology I suspect has something to do with it. Wait for proper reviews by gamers and not the ones Nvidia pays to do them ;o)

No benchmarks or reviews yet just some not as good as originally claimed according to leaked Nvidia Benchmarks, unusually there is not as much excitement over the 20XX series. Unproved new technology I suspect has something to do with it. Wait for proper reviews by gamers and not the ones Nvidia pays to do them ;o)

Well, if the OP just wants the most powerful GPU without other considerations it will most definitely be the RTX 2080 Ti upon release. Until that happens, later this month perhaps, the 1080 Ti would be best if not springing for one of the few Titan cards that may still outperform it. However, the Ray Tracing tech the new cards offer is still in it's infancy and of no use in Trainz for the foreseeable future I'd imagine as only handful of new AAA games will utilize it. Also the MSRPs are higher than the previous generation and the new cards may also use more power, which has been on a downward trend in previous releases.

1080TIs are going quite cheaply in the UK at present and also now getting low on stock, starting around £650 up to £800ish for a high end card. 1080s between £400 and £500.

I took advantage of the price drop and got a 1080TI a couple of weeks ago.

My guess on the RTX2080 is that it gains less in terms of raw performance than you might have expected in previous generation jumps, but that it does still gain (I'm guessing a 2080 performs similarly to a 1080ti). As you Malc says, wait for the actual reviews to come in. Of course, where the 2080 will really benefit is when games are using the new ray-tracing capabilities and the new anti-aliasing / upscaling techniques. At the current time, adoption for these techniques is fairly experimental, but the idea is sound and we can expect that the industry as a whole will increase in adoption across the coming (GPU) generation. Towards the end of the generation, you can expect the 2080 to be achieving substantially improved visuals as compared to the 1080, at similar performance levels.

My 2c,

chris

Can Software keep up with GPU advancements.

Well, if the OP just wants the most powerful GPU without other considerations it will most definitely be the RTX 2080 Ti upon release. Until that happens, later this month perhaps, the 1080 Ti would be best if not springing for one of the few Titan cards that may still outperform it. However, the Ray Tracing tech the new cards offer is still in it's infancy and of no use in Trainz for the foreseeable future I'd imagine as only handful of new AAA games will utilize it. Also the MSRPs are higher than the previous generation and the new cards may also use more power, which has been on a downward trend in previous releases.

Well said Folks, and I might add, just like the Multi Core Chip Hyperbole that goes on with Intel and AMD Chip makers, and like when we saw the 32 bit-64 bit conversion, the emphasis for true power, lies directly in the Software Development Camp.....You can have amazing Computer, blazing speed, but if your software can't keep up, or better yet, exercise the muscles of both CPU and GPU Cycles, prediction paths etc, then you spent money for lackluster performance.........

In Retrospect I believe only modest amount of Developers are able to keep up with the MOB and GPU board development. Which in my mind, seems lagging in step time to the latest Chip production schedule.........Which doesn't take in account for Bugs after the Product hits the market.

It really is a mixed bag for us as consumers to maul over what is applicable for our needs. Below is a link that does some comparison reviews and comments on GPU's you might find of interest? Article is for UK readers.........

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/best-graphics-card-for-gaming-2018-3217721/

Well said Folks, and I might add, just like the Multi Core Chip Hyperbole that goes on with Intel and AMD Chip makers, and like when we saw the 32 bit-64 bit conversion, the emphasis for true power, lies directly in the Software Development Camp.....You can have amazing Computer, blazing speed, but if your software can't keep up, or better yet, exercise the muscles of both CPU and GPU Cycles, prediction paths etc, then you spent money for lackluster performance.........

In Retrospect I believe only modest amount of Developers are able to keep up with the MOB and GPU board development. Which in my mind, seems lagging in step time to the latest Chip production schedule.........Which doesn't take in account for Bugs after the Product hits the market.

It really is a mixed bag for us as consumers to maul over what is applicable for our needs. Below is a link that does some comparison reviews and comments on GPU's you might find of interest? Article is for UK readers.........

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/best-graphics-card-for-gaming-2018-3217721/

In absolute terms the RTX 2080 TI can be expected to be faster than a GTX 1080 TI and my expectation is faster than an nVidia Titan. The Titans are expensive but they offer the highest performance this week.

A benchmark was leaked yesterday that shows the RTX 2080 TI being 35% faster than a GTX 1080 TI. Benchmarks are fine but none of them use TANE or TS2019 and if you look at them over different games you will see differences in performance so really you're guessing what they will be like in TANE or TS2019.

From the hardware point of view it uses later memory DDR6 rather than DDR5, has a few more cores etc. The hardware is undoubtedly faster.

From a practical point of view do you need it? Interesting question on a simple layout I can tell no difference between a GTX 1050 TI and a GTX 980, on a more complex one I certainly can.

The drivers will improve over time so my expectation is the gap will widen.

The price is comparable between a Titan and a GTX 2080 TI on newegg.com.

AMD / Intel? the comparison isn't valid. The bottleneck on TANE and on TS2019 is the GPU. My CPU is six or possibly seven years old now yet with a decent GPU it runs TANE reasonably well, certainly better frame rates than TS12.

Is it worthwhile buying an RTX 2080 TI? I'm not certain. I am certain that N3V were pushing people to compare their system to a GTX 1070 TI? when asked if it would run TS2019. From feedback from beta testers it runs a bit smoother than TANE did on the same hardware so the push is to take advantage of the newer features.

I do know that sometimes I feel it would be nice not to worry about has the content creator used LOD or sneak in an LOD into the config.txt file to improve performance or worry about if I should use this asset or that for performance reasons.

Buying an RTX 2080 TI would reduce the risk but Sketchup is quite capable of bringing even an RTX 2080 TI to its knees.

So on balance depending how rich I was feeling I'd probably go the RTX 2080 TI route but I'd hold off until the spring by which time the revisions to the firmware and drivers should be stable and the prices a little better as the new AMD GPUs come out. Note N3V do take advantage of nVidia specific code so that also comes into account.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
Just make sure that your CPU is well matched to whatever video card you purchase. It would be frustrating to see a $1000+ GPU bubbling along at 40% utilisation because an under-powered CPU can't keep up with it.

Be interesting to see what AMD do to compete, if they even can, now Nvidia have moved the goal posts with Ray Tracing.

Be interesting to see what AMD do to compete, if they even can, now Nvidia have moved the goal posts with Ray Tracing.

nVidia weren't the first and won't be the last. Unless AMD is asleep at the wheel, I'd expect that they'll have something competitive (well, as competitive as they ever are) before it becomes a critical issue.

chris

Just make sure that your CPU is well matched to whatever video card you purchase. It would be frustrating to see a $1000+ GPU bubbling along at 40% utilisation because an under-powered CPU can't keep up with it.

Is that really an issue with Trainz (TANE or TRS2019), and any moderately recent CPU? I have a GTX 1070, and depending on the settings, TANE can run that graphics card pretty flat out. However, at the same time, my I7-7700 will be lopping along. Same with my I5/GTX 1050ti combo laptop. Modern CPUs seem to never build up a sweat with TANE. It's all about the graphics capability (and to some extent, the disk read speed - put Trainz and your Trainz data on a SSD ).

Phil

Last edited:
OK thanks all and i checked with my tech and he verifies that the 1080 will work fine and best for my main testing system which is very powerful and can handle any thing out there yet made. I work for several game companies as an advisor and I have to be able to jump thru whatever hoops they come up with so that i feel ok with the 1080 for now. As said above he said the 2000 series is not proven yet and has tech that most current product software on the shelf is not capable of using.

I got 2019 loaded just need to carve out time to load routes into it and see her in action . my congrats to Tony and all of the team for working hard on this release, as it appears to work well even with heritage routes and still delivers some fine new features for route makers which says a great day!

Cheers and thanks again all for the fine analysis and advice. much appreciated.

Chris

Is that really an issue with Trainz (TANE or TRS2019), and any moderately recent CPU? I have a GTX 1070, and depending on the settings, TANE can run that graphics card pretty flat out. However, at the same time, my I7-7700 will be lopping along. Same with my I5/GTX 1050ti combo laptop. Modern CPUs seem to never build up a sweat with TANE. It's all about the graphics capability (and to some extent, the disk read speed - put Trainz and your Trainz data on a SSD ).

Phil

It depends on the route / session complexity. I have had occasions, e.g. on a route with a lot of procedural track and Interlocking Towers, where my GTX 1080 has been held back by my i7 6700K. I do agree that for a lot of routes, the CPU performance is less of an issue. The point I was really trying to make was that it would not be sensible to splash out on an RX1080ti, if you are going to marry it up with, say, an existing i5 cpu.

Cheers,
John

Does anyone remember when we were told SLI & Crossfire codes would be put into Tane,,, but it never was put in was it ? If we where told that it was not going to happen i would have pulled my $500.00 AU straight out of the pledging,,,

OK thanks all and i checked with my tech and he verifies that the 1080 will work fine and best for my main testing system which is very powerful and can handle any thing out there yet made. I work for several game companies as an advisor and I have to be able to jump thru whatever hoops they come up with so that i feel ok with the 1080 for now. As said above he said the 2000 series is not proven yet and has tech that most current product software on the shelf is not capable of using.

I got 2019 loaded just need to carve out time to load routes into it and see her in action . my congrats to Tony and all of the team for working hard on this release, as it appears to work well even with heritage routes and still delivers some fine new features for route makers which says a great day!

Cheers and thanks again all for the fine analysis and advice. much appreciated.

Chris

Just be aware that because of the user created content Trainz can be much more demanding than other games. Computer Techs generally underestimate the hardware requirements.

Cheerio John

Back