TRS19 Early Access Beta Discussion forum

John, something must have changed, as there is no early access build in my downloads. I guess Tony decided to drop me from beta testing:confused:

Do you have a 'Download TRS19' on your MyTrainz page near the bottom? If not then it's a case of working out whether it's the $70 or the subscription method (and will probably need N3V assistance).

Shane

Nope, not down there Shane! I still have the TRS2019 Installer in my files that was sent to me when I was beta testing. Maybe if I remove and reinstall the program it might reauthorize me?

If you've got the beta testing version you will need to install any patches to bring that up to date which may give you access to the TRS19 beta channel - if it doesn't you will need to ask N3V.

Shane

I appreciate what you guys have tried to do, but I just gave in and bought the $70 program. (Too old to be having these headaches, lol)

Afraid it looks like the only way you can test TRS19 Beta is by buying Early Access in one form or another.
Early Access Beta, now finished, patches to Early Access after purchasing it, then if you choose to carry on testing, change to TRS19 Beta Stream and patch to the TRS19 beta, so you need to buy Early Access to get TRS19 Beta access.

Would have help if N3V made things a bit clearer ;o)

Thank, Malc! Kinda figured that I would have to do it that way. Oh well, was planning on investing in it anyway, so I just had to bite the bullet and jump in the pool, lol.

OK...this is getting silly....bought the $70 program and did a fresh reinstall using it; it brought back build 96000 for me, and I was able to select the 'TS19 Early Access' stream. However, it refuses to find any patches available for it. Tried manually checking for available patches, and was told that 'no patches are available' for it. Any thoughts why the patches are not showing up?

OK...this is getting silly....bought the $70 program and did a fresh reinstall using it; it brought back build 96000 for me, and I was able to select the 'TS19 Early Access' stream. However, it refuses to find any patches available for it. Tried manually checking for available patches, and was told that 'no patches are available' for it. Any thoughts why the patches are not showing up?

It sometimes takes a bit of time, for lack of any technical term, for your account to sync up with the server. You should try again and choose early access as your download stream.

Also ensure you are in fact installing into the correct Trainz version. I made that mistake a few days ago and kept trying to update T:ANE instead of TRS2019 because the patcher decided to look there instead of in the TRS2019 folder.

If you are in fact pointing to the right Trainz version, give it a whirl and let us know the outcome.

Over the weekend, beta build 96720 will be available via the TSR19 beta stream. This gives us an opportunity to discuss something that QA often helps users out via email - setting up multiple instances of the application. This is a good practice for maintaining the RELEASE BUILD and a BETA RELEASE ASSERTIONS BUILD independent of each other. There are many reasons this is a recommended practice, mostly based on developing and testing versus straight up “playing the game”. AKA - maintaining a degree of sanity and general mental well-being.

Please note that builds labeled as “RELEASE ASSERTIONS” on the launcher are BETA and not a final release. Expect changes to occur between releases. Expect assertions and exceptions to occur in beta releases. For this reason we recommend users backup the existing application & data directory prior to patching. This way you may easily roll back to a previous version without having to do extensive re-installing.

The recommended process for working between release and beta versions, and patching during beta (test) releases in general is:

• Utilize two installations. For example have one installation that is the “release” version, that is the non-assertion public release (currently 96000). The second is the beta version, identified on the launcher by the “release assertions” label (currently 96191). These would reside in two separate application folders, have two separate data folders, and two unique shortcuts on the desktop clearly labeled in order to tell them apart.
  • When creating data directories, provide a clear and understandable name, like “public” and “beta”. This way you can tell which is which at a glance and not have to deal with the machine name the application creates by default.
  • Backup and archive your work regularly. The best time to do this when working on content is when you have reached a milestone and generally at the end of the work day. You can do this by making a copy of the entire data directory or exporting to CDP.

The intent of this process is to afford the creator a stable unchanging "play-test" platform and some redundancy that safeguards against changes in the application affecting content creation. Developing content in any beta means the user is accepting some risk as there is no guarantee from build to build that the application will remain unchanged.

For more info on moving\creating data folders please go here.

Downloaded and installed beta build 96720 - just a 22 Mb patch which completed quickly.
First thing you'll notice is the changes to the Track Profile Options that now show Gradients (%) and enabling you to disable the spooky animated driver images to the left of the profile (These are still animated in the Driver List, however).
Yet further evidence that the Good Folks at N3V are indeed listening to their Early Access customers!:)
First run on a test session looked great, but ended in a CTD that I now need to troubleshoot and bug-report.

All performance and visual quality parameters and settings were retained.

Thanks for the heads-up, ZikChil - I used the opportunity to back up my previous beta build to another drive in anticipation, so when it became available, I was up and running straight away.

I just installed myself and had a route's menu lock up. I shutdown all other parts of TRS19, meaning the launcher and content manager, and ended up using task manager to kill the routes menu because that was frozen with no mouse response. When I checked task manager, there was no activity at all with the TRS19 application.

I'm running a DBR and will try to repeat the issue so I can determine what caused the interface lockup.

Frequent CTDs in Driver mode - Build 96720

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing multiple CTDs running many of my sessions involving the new CSX locos heading up consists.
If you watch the logfiles on a 2nd monitor during session runtime, there is an enormous stream of error messages relating to:
Code:
[FONT=Verdana]; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100247:2> "CSX C40-8W yn2 (ex-CR)"' in scene.[/FONT]

And:
Code:
[FONT=Verdana]- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_dot' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_4' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_5' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_6' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_7' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'[/FONT]

And:
Code:
[FONT=Verdana]; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Asset '<kuid2:45324:100139:16> "SP SD45"' does not have attachment point 'a.bog1' or is not currently loaded.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100139:16> "SP SD45"' in scene.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Asset '<kuid2:45324:100339:2> "CSX GP40-2 YN3"' does not have attachment point 'a.bog1' or is not currently loaded.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100339:2> "CSX GP40-2 YN3"' in scene.[/FONT]

There are nearly 2,000 lines of such entries generated in the space of just 4 or 5 minutes of runtime before the CTD occurs.
Replacing the locos generating these error messages helps (but is hardly a long-term fix).
There's still an occasional annoying and unnecessary ~5 minute wait looking at the large Rocky Mountaineer splash screen before any saved - or unsaved - session returns from Driver mode to the Surveyor Session List.

Last edited:
PC_Ace

I think you might be chasing a red herring here. I have the same locomotive and run it all the time, and have for sometime. I've also seen those same errors in TS12 and in T:ANE and have not had those crashes.

So before you drive yourself crazy here, I would let this one go for now and check for something else first.

Last edited:
Thanks John.
Still checking out a lot of different angles here...
These locos and sessions ran for hours on end without the need for intervention prior to the last beta 96191.
No changes have been made to the original sessions (that worked).
I'm now testing variants of newly created sessions in an attempt to narrow down the cause of these persistent CTDs.

Last edited:
Thanks John.
Still checking out a lot of different angles here...

Good luck with that.

I've come across a couple of weird things. The Forest-series billboard trees render invisibly, and I received an assertion error during a drive. I've got the screenshots and will write those up and off they'll go.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but PBR textures in 2019 are buggy as all hell. It's kind of hard to describe the issue, so i recorded this short video showing off the problems i've seen:

PBR textures on sharp edges are completely broken, and the textures don't like water at all. Something tells me very little beta-testing was done on these textures, as these problems are present on the Content Samples route, and have been present since Build 96000.

Back