HP/Compaq Laptops - A possible random slowdown cause/fix.

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Hi Trainzers,

This will mainly be of interest to HP or possibly Compaq laptop/notebook owners as it is touchpad as well as HP related.

After some looking in Task Manager earlier after having several unexpected slowdowns and pauses particularly when gaming, I came across something interesting (as well as a fix not long after).

The cause at that particular point was a process that is part of HP Touchpoint Analytics Client which was using over 50% of the processor for no apparent reason and slowing everything else down. It often happened in bursts and fairly randomly.

The main purpose of this is apparently to collect analytical information relating to touchpads but is seen by some as possible spyware as well as causing processor usage spikes.

The fix for this (as I found not long after) is to uninstall the Touchpoint Analytics Client using Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs for older Windows versions like XP). On mine it was listed as HP Touchpad Analytics Client but it may be different on other machines. I haven't noticed any ill effects from doing this either.

Hopefully this helps.

Shane

Thanks Shane for sleuthing out that one. I don't have an HP/Compaq aka Humpbaq laptop, but I'll keep that in mind if someone mentions they're having performance issues.

My suspicions it's one of those things installed by HP to see how the user uses the touchpad to gather information for "future improvements". The problem with garbage like this is it sits in the background and monitors every click, movement, and slip, and this is yet another background process to eat up resources. Being something from HP, it means it's overbuilt and extra resource hungry. I remember the latter issue from the HP/Compaq Proliant servers I used to use. They were great machines in their day, but I was forewarned by a support engineer not to use the monitoring tools on a regular basis for this very reason.

Dell Computers a better suited for gaming ;the X.P.S series,

I have a Studio X.P.S. 8000, New there about $1,500, I think...
It's refurbished with Solid State Hard Drive, also a conventional drive for file storage.
Nvidia G Force G.T.X 1050 Ti, Video card 8 gig ram, I can double to 16gig.

Dell Computers a better suited for gaming ;the X.P.S series,

I have a Studio X.P.S. 8000, New there about $1,500, I think...
It's refurbished with Solid State Hard Drive, also a conventional drive for file storage.
Nvidia G Force G.T.X 1050 Ti, Video card 8 gig ram, I can double to 16gig.

Those are nice machines and very similar to the Alienware 15, which I have albeit with an "old" video card now. Mine came with dual GTX980s in 2016 and too expensive to purchase a new one anytime soon. It's still a nice machine and runs T:ANE just fine and I'm sure will run TRS19 when I install it.

Back