21st century new build steam locomotives:

robd

N7olbIF.jpg

No. 6880 Betton Grange, original GWR Grange model courtesy of chrisaw, No. 60163 A1 Tornado, original A1 model courtesy of camscott and No. 5551 The Unknown Warrior, original Patriot model courtesy of LMS_MAN. All models generally tweaked by myself. Of course, only 60163 is complete, hopefully the the other two will be completed soon.

Rob.

Last edited:
Wow.... They look just like the original prototypes. Even the diameter for Betton Granges driving wheels is spot on! I think it's really incredible how many new build locomotives are being produced today! It's nice to see that these majestic engine classes won't be lost to history.

I've heard about it since I'm from Indiana, and I think that it's a great idea! I'm just not such a fan of the main why they are building it. Theyre trying to break the speed record for Steam Locomotvies. On one hand I like the idea of there being a new T1 in exsistence, but on the other I'm not to fond of someone breaking Mallard's record just for the sake of it.

All in all, I love the new build models robd. They all look incredible. I'm afraid to ask, but are you planning on making 6880 and 5551 public or are they just for eyes only?

Don't forget my model of 2007 Prince of Wales (it needs a few tweaks in light of how the real one is coming out though) and the Ffestiniog's James Spooner.

Personally I prefer a brand new Southern 4-6-2 Ps-4 built. Yes I know that one survives in the Smithsonian, but the exhibit was built around it, so it's impossible to get it out. In fact in 2011, when I attended the Banquet the day before the first Railfest at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, which included then CEO of Norfolk Southern Wick Moorman, a person announced that he was part of a group who wanted to get Southern 1401, the Ps-4 on display in the Smithsonian, out of the Smithsonian and restoring it, Mr. Moorman said 'That's like dynamiting Natural Tunnel.' In case you don't know, Natural Tunnel is a naturally made tunnel in the Appalachians near the town of Duffield, Virginia, that a Norfolk Southern predecessor built thru to access the coal fields of the area. Natural Tunnel is now part of Natural Tunnel State Park, which is one of Virginia's State Parks. And since Natural Tunnel is part of a State Park, dynamiting the tunnel into a cut in the mountain is impossible to do. Then again, that would be amazing riding behind the locomotive Trains Magazine announced that Southern's Ps-4 was 'The Most Beautiful Pacific', based on a poll taken by the viewers. The one to come in second place is the Southern Pacific Pacifics, though I can't remember which class of Pacifics.

Don't forget my model of 2007 Prince of Wales (it needs a few tweaks in light of how the real one is coming out though) and the Ffestiniog's James Spooner.

mXMXazX.jpg

Very remiss of me to leave Ed's Gresley P2 No. 2007 Prince of Wales out of the line up - sorry Ed!

Rob.

Last edited:
Nice new line up robd! Your last picture was so awesome that it convinced my to head to Darlington Works and get a copy of 60163 for myself! I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but it seems to handle even better than my other Darlington Works A1's! I guess it's that "new build" showing! XD

Back