Canadian Route?

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Is there an ETA for this arriving into the early access? I've been using the Rocky Mountaineer Gold Service bi-level cars to do structure gauging on a model railroad style route and kind of looking forward to running these in service through the mountains!

ETA- when we fixed a few more remaining session bugs, polished it some more, restested it again and prepared it for release. So in terms of time... ~ weeks not days.

Is there an ETA for this arriving into the early access? I've been using the Rocky Mountaineer Gold Service bi-level cars to do structure gauging on a model railroad style route and kind of looking forward to running these in service through the mountains!

I have had a quick look at the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountain Subdivision circa 2010 kuid:331633:101801 (http://doug56.net/MBC2010/route.html) in TRS19. The route can be imported into TRS19 but should have the track changed from <kuid2:334896:38013:1> JR Dk Grey Dirty Weathered to <kuid2:45324:38024:4> JR Dk Grey Dirty before exporting from TANE as a cdp file and importing into TRS19. JR Dk Grey Dirty can be found at Jointed Rail under freeware > Trakside Items > Dark Grey Track Dirty (http://jointedrail.com/product-category/freeware/trackside-items/).

Note: Has Jointed Rail’s site had those annoying popup ads for long?

There are a number of other assets taht will need attention notably:

<kuid:370528:1163> n railman 1
<kuid:370528:1165> n railman 3
<kuid2:9000:27203:1> Industrial B03
<kuid2:82412:201011:1> Products-Log-Stack-50-01-TS12
<kuid:370528:1164> n railman 2
<kuid2:60238:38150:1> Bridge Deck 7
<kuid:1987:9> A9
<kuid2:64038:27005:1> JPK SensorTechnolgies
<kuid2:82412:6001314:4> TUME-House-LO-1L-114
<kuid:370528:1291> n railman 6
<kuid2:60238:27113:1> Timber Stack2
<kuid2:44988:80012:3> Rails, Old, Rusty
<kuid2:82412:6001309:4> TUME-House-LO-1L-109
<kuid2:60238:38174:1> Car Spline 4
<kuid2:60238:26142:1> Rowboat Beached
<kuid2:2300:21128:1> BlueMountains
<kuid2:60238:38171:1> Car Spline 1
<kuid:370528:1303> n railman 7
<kuid2:60238:38128:1> Bridge Pier 4
<kuid2:9000:37008:1> Culvert Pipe Metal1
<kuid2:64038:1810:2> CSX Mow Crane truck
<kuid2:64038:95044:1>
<kuid2:64038:95044:1> JPK FeedStore
<kuid2:64038:27412:1>
<kuid2:64038:27412:1> JPK GenericIndustrial
<kuid2:60238:56:1> Ford Van
<kuid2:64038:27780:1> Trailer Container9

However, I don't think any of these are going to present a problem as far as operating is concerned. When I get a chance I will have a look at them and get things fixed.

There is also texture on the mountainside missing which I am trying to track down.

The Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountain Subdivision circa 2010 was started in Trainz 2009, ported into Trainz 2010, then into Trainz 2012, and then into TANE. This is why I think it looks a little peaked in TRS19. With every new version of Trainz it has generally been necessary to upgrade the terrain to get a descent look. In Trainz 2012 and TANE I felt that to get the look I was after I had to purposely blur textures. In TRS19 the blur stands out more than I would like to see.

The Canadian Pacific Railway’s Mountain Subdivision circa 2010 kuid:331633:101801 is the complete 150 mile subdivision. In fact it includes some of the Lagan Subdivision to the east, as it starts east of the Kicking Horse Pass, and a bit of the Shushwap Subdivision in the west as it includes the eastern approach to Eagle Pass in the Monashee Mountains west of Revestoke.

This is the route the Rocky Mountaineer navigates today. At one time both the Canadian National Railway and the Canadian Pacific Railway had transcontinental passenger trains that ran from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. However, when VIA took over passenger service they eventually discontinues the run through the Kicking Horse Pass and Rogers Pass in favour of the more northerly Canadian National through the Yellowhead Pass. So today the Rocky Mountaineer is the only passenger train that traverses the Mountain Subdivision. As far as I know it doesn’t stop in Field and certainly wouldn’t pick up passengers if it did. However, the passengers on the platform are built into the Field Station asset so there they are. The Field Station asset was originally made by Ben Dorsey for Trainz 2004 and is a good example of how peaked (pale) old assets can look in newer versions of Trainz

Cayden

9faiWZk.jpg

Rocky Mountaineer passing Albert Canyon heading east.

K6p9c0Z.jpg

Rocky Mountaineer crossing Stoney Creek Bridge heading east.

cQrmSfT.jpg

Rocky Mountaineer passing Field heading east.

BD9jl52.jpg

Rocky Mountaineer exiting the Lower Spiral Tunnel heading east.

That sounds like an excellent plan, Cayden.

I did in fact travel over the CP line a couple of times in 1986, when VIA still ran the Canadian that way. I actually did Toronto to Vancouver breaking the journey at Banff - very nice but also very expensive! Then travelled back eastbound from Vancouver to Calgary before heading off to Edmonton, on the bus by then, to do Prince Rupert and the BCR down from Prince George to North Vancouver. I did head back from Vancouver to Winnipeg for the flight home but used the Super Continental which used the CN route.

Hence my particular interest in the route. My wife and I have talked about doing the Rocky Mountaineer but the price is a bit steep and if/when we take another holiday in Canada will probably stick to viewing the railway from Highway 1!

That sounds like an excellent plan, Cayden.

I did in fact travel over the CP line a couple of times in 1986, when VIA still ran the Canadian that way. I actually did Toronto to Vancouver breaking the journey at Banff - very nice but also very expensive! Then travelled back eastbound from Vancouver to Calgary before heading off to Edmonton, on the bus by then, to do Prince Rupert and the BCR down from Prince George to North Vancouver. I did head back from Vancouver to Winnipeg for the flight home but used the Super Continental which used the CN route.

Hence my particular interest in the route. My wife and I have talked about doing the Rocky Mountaineer but the price is a bit steep and if/when we take another holiday in Canada will probably stick to viewing the railway from Highway 1!

If you do the Rocky Mountaineer again wave when you go through Chase. We're 50 Km east of Kamloops and I can watch from my deck. :D

If you do the Rocky Mountaineer again wave when you go through Chase. We're 50 Km east of Kamloops and I can watch from my deck. :D

Oh when I went in '86 it was still VIA Rail, with staff travel didn't cost very much at all! Just looked at the price for the RM and nearly fell off my seat - they abolished the cheaper Red service a couple of years ago so Silver is now the base level - one leg around £800 each! It's a crying shame that to see two of the most scenic routes in Western Canada - CP from Calgary to Vancouver and former BCR from North Vancouver to Prince George now costs over £3000 for the two of us and that's without flights and the rest of the holiday!

It does make TRS2019 look something of a bargain...

Oh when I went in '86 it was still VIA Rail, with staff travel didn't cost very much at all! Just looked at the price for the RM and nearly fell off my seat - they abolished the cheaper Red service a couple of years ago so Silver is now the base level - one leg around £800 each! It's a crying shame that to see two of the most scenic routes in Western Canada - CP from Calgary to Vancouver and former BCR from North Vancouver to Prince George now costs over £3000 for the two of us and that's without flights and the rest of the holiday!

That's one expensive holiday! I've gone severe storm chasing with Roger Hill for 22 days for far less and covered nearly 20,000 miles on some trips, saw Devil's Tower, Mount Rushmore, Glacier National Park, climber the Rocky Mountains, and climbed Mount Capulan volcano too. I also saw plenty of trains in the process including mile long coal trains coming out of Gillette, WY, the Empire Builder, and countless freights along the Stratford and Clovis subdivisions.

Unfortunately what used to be a regular service across the country has turned into a luxury trip.

Yikes - did you tell them you just want to live on the train for a little bit, not buy it? :D

Yikes - did you tell them you just want to live on the train for a little bit, not buy it? :D

Oh I was just browsing out of curiosity. We're probably veering into Prototype Talk area but as I started the thread let's keep it going... but I guess they must still fill the trains even with those prices. I know the fare includes meals (though if you're not a fan of potatoes laced with garlic the dinner menu is a bit limited) and overnight accommodation in the middle of each leg, but still.

I will content myself with enjoying the virtual experience.

Oh, I don't know Cayden

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Looks pretty good to me but I'm sure it will look better once I've optimized the environmental settings. Got to replace those older RMM trees with his newer ones though.

Your sessions seem to be functional at first glance too.

The main issue in those screenshots are the rock textures. Looks like no matter how much you compensate the environment settings, cannot eliminate the excessive HDR effect. Unfortunately as TRS2019 currently stands there are only a handful of PBR assets in the box, not sure how suitable some of the rock ones would be as unlike grass that type of texture can be awkward to replace and look good.

On a related note, can anyone from N3V say whether the additional content being introduced will contain more PBR textures and assets, or is what we got in the EA all there is?

The main issue in those screenshots are the rock textures. Looks like no matter how much you compensate the environment settings, cannot eliminate the excessive HDR effect. Unfortunately as TRS2019 currently stands there are only a handful of PBR assets in the box, not sure how suitable some of the rock ones would be as unlike grass that type of texture can be awkward to replace and look good.

On a related note, can anyone from N3V say whether the additional content being introduced will contain more PBR textures and assets, or is what we got in the EA all there is?

Yeah, I'm seeing way to much incompatibility in routes and assets. I'll wait and see but I'm not going to be investing much time in TRS19 at this point.

Wow...most of the tracks in those photos are floating. A+ route building skills.

The route looks like garbage even without the floating track though, so...hm. Looks like TRS19's biggest selling point is the consistent theme among most new Trainz games of having awful built-in routes.

Wow...most of the tracks in those photos are floating. A+ route building skills.

The route looks like garbage even without the floating track though, so...hm. Looks like TRS19's biggest selling point is the consistent theme among most new Trainz games of having awful built-in routes.
So, hmmm, looks like you're making incorrect assumptions again. Please don't bag out route builders unless you know what you are talking about.
I reckon it looks pretty good for a TS2010 route.
Graeme

Oh god, i thought that was the Rocky Mountains route from TS2019, not Cayden's. Probably should've read closer...really sorry about that. It does look nice for a TS2010 route.

Sorry again for the incorrect assumption.

One option we really need is a height adjuster for bulk replacing stuff. I hate it when I replace track, etc, and it is floating because it is a different asset with a different height. If I could say -.5 or -1 whatever, that would be great.

One option we really need is a height adjuster for bulk replacing stuff. I hate it when I replace track, etc, and it is floating because it is a different asset with a different height. If I could say -.5 or -1 whatever, that would be great.

That's an excellent idea and great for roads too as well as track.

Rail height is the same for all track otherwise wheels would hover or sink in, so technically they are not at different heights, it's depth of ballast that's the main issue, ideally needs to be lower than zero to fill in the gaps and get rid of the annoying shadow and lowering the track or raising the terrain slightly is extremely time consuming, so an all over route lower track setting would be extremely useful.

Oh god, i thought that was the Rocky Mountains route from TS2019, not Cayden's. Probably should've read closer...really sorry about that. It does look nice for a TS2010 route.

Sorry again for the incorrect assumption.

Yes, this is the old originally Trainz 2009 route undated to T:ANE. I have't yet upgraded it for TRS19, just imported it and tried it out. Changing the track from <kuid2:334896:38013:1> JR Dk Grey Dirty Weathered to <kuid2:45324:38024:4> JR Dk Grey Dirty and the texture <kuid:1987:9> A9 to <kuid:517375:100016> A9_v3 before exporting from T:ANE and importing into TRS19 makes the route quite usable despite some missing assets. These are mainly assets which have a higher version number in T:ANE than in TRS19 (e.g., <kuid2:60238:38150:1> Bridge Deck 7 in T:ANE and <kuid2:60238:38150> Bridge Deck 7 in TRS19). I am waiting in hopes that N3V will upgrade the kuids for TRS19.

Once in TRS19 I would suggest lowering the light brightness. This is easily done.
• In Surveyor open Edit Environment… .
• Select Diurnal Cycle (1.).
• Select the mid day Control Point (2.).
• Raise the Light level Control (3.).
• Save the route.

aviZ7oH.jpg

Original setting.

yD0MvGC.jpg

Improved setting.

You can also play with other environmental settings (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools).

See Normhart's pics (above) for more views of the route.

When I get time I may update the route to TRS19 standards. Having updated the route five times over the last number of years (twice for Trainz 2010) I am not enamoured with starting the process all over again.

As is, you can enjoy running the Rocky Mountaineer over the route it was created for in real life, that is the 150 mile Canadian Pacific Railway's Mountain Subdivision. pcas1986 Rocky Mountaineer this past spring.

You can also compare todays route (circa 2010) with the route as it looked just after it was completed in 1885 (circa 1887).

Both routes area available for free on my website (http://doug56.net/CPRMS/).

I am currently working on the 1887 route which is drivable but scenically not quite complete. A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to spend an afternoon in the Revelstoke archives and was able to get some pictures of Revelstoke at the turn of the century (1880/1900). These will allow me to more closely create the town site as it appeared in 1887.

Enjoy.

Cayden

Back