Trs 2019 - specs

josefdoc

Hi all, I am planning on purchasing Trs 2019 when it is released. I was just wondering if my computer specs are good enough to run it.

Intel i5
GTX960
8Gb of RAM

Thanks!

If you can run T:ANE, you can run TS19.

I have an i5 4670 @ 4.2GHz (overclocked)
8 Gb ram
GTX 770 4Gb ram

This manages to run TS19 at 30+fps with medium settings and Ultra detail (and clutter + TurfFX).
I found that in the same route (kickstarter county on both TANE and TS19) with the same session, TS19 gave about 15-20% increase in fps. Even at lower fps, TS19 seemed smoother.

My system won't run ECML at a sensible rate, but that's a strain on most PCs

Colin

In the configurator I didn't see anything about monitor specs. What is the minimum screen resolution that TRS19 can support, please, and what is the recommended resolution?

Another question: If a route or session is created in TRS19 build 4.6, can it be imported into TANE build 4.5?

Thanks - Trevor

So is there any way that I could potentially run Trs 2019 in ultra setting with the GTX 960. I looked at the post that Tony posted and said that it could work on medium. Also, my card is the 2gb vesion. Just figuring out if I have to upgrade.

Thanks!

In the configurator I didn't see anything about monitor specs. What is the minimum screen resolution that TRS19 can support, please, and what is the recommended resolution?

To the best of my knowledge, minimum screen res for full-screen operation is still 1024x768. You'll need to go slightly higher if you want to run in windowed mode. Beyond that, it's a trade-off of graphical quality versus performance. The more pixels that your GPU is required to push, the faster your GPU needs to be to maintain the same framerate (or the lower you'll need to configure your settings). Keep in mind that if you're running in full-screen mode and your GPU isn't all that good, you can typically configure the game resolution lower than the native display resolution and rely on your display to rescale the result to full-screen.

Another question: If a route or session is created in TRS19 build 4.6, can it be imported into TANE build 4.5?

No.

chris

Hi,
During the beta, I turned all the settings to maximum (Ultra or High) and selecged TurfFX and clutter (these are for nVidia csrd and add to the detail - see Philskene's Youtube videos).
Using one of the Kickstarter 2 route sessions, my pc achieved 6 fps.

So, you probably won't be able to run with everything on Ultra. To do that, you are probably going to need one of the nVidia 2080 series and a system to match.
You shojld be able to run well with most settings at medium, changing a couple as you find the need.

Colin

So is there any way that I could potentially run Trs 2019 in ultra setting with the GTX 960. I looked at the post that Tony posted and said that it could work on medium. Also, my card is the 2gb vesion. Just figuring out if I have to upgrade.

You certainly don't HAVE to upgrade, but the card definitely won't run TRS19 at ultra settings at a high frame rate. Maybe you're happy to turn the settings down a little - TRS19 will still look better than TANE, just not as good as it would at higher settings. Maybe you're happy with a reduced frame rate. Maybe you're happy with lighter routes that aren't as taxing on your GPU. Or maybe you want to upgrade.

chris

So, you probably won't be able to run with everything on Ultra. To do that, you are probably going to need one of the nVidia 2080 series and a system to match.

As another data point, I have a GTX 980 which I tend to run on Ultra. It's quite playable, but not perfectly smooth. Depending on my mood, I might reduce the shadows to High, but I always leave materials on Ultra.

You shojld be able to run well with most settings at medium, changing a couple as you find the need.

Sensible advice.

chris

Hi all, I appreciate the advice. I actually rather not upgrade so I might tweak the settings a bit. I think even if I had a 1070 or 1080, it would still lag a bit with all the settings on ultra.

Last edited:
When TANE was introduced, there were some comments about the GPU required to run at max details.
Such a GPU was out of most people's budget - however, it added "headroom" to allow hardware to catch up.

It doesn't require more effort in programming, but does prevent the visuals becoming obsolete.

I'll post details of my system & TS19 settings with frame rates later.

Colin

Some info on my findings while testing TRS19

i7 6700K and GTX980TI 16GB DDR4, works well on everything maxed. GPU 80°C
i7 6700K and GTX1080TI upgrade which works even better. GPU 73°C
Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB DDR4 and 6GB GTX1060 works well on mid settings. GPU 74°C
Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB DDR4 and GTX980TI surprisingly same performance as with the I7 / 980TI GPU hitting 83°C without increasing Fan speeds (Have since put the setup in a larger case with 4 Case fans so down to 78°C)
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and 2GB GTX680, OKish on mid to low settings with maximum 4k Draw distance some stutter, throttling at 83°C so needs fans increasing.
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and GTX970 with one dead fan! Not much better than the 680 other than can increase Draw distance to 8K and doesn't stutter as above throttling at 83°C
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and GTX1060 surprisingly good combination on mid settings and 8K draw distance for an old SataII / IDE motherboard TRS19 running on an old SataII 150GB drive. 71°C
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR and GTX650 - forget it, slide show, not quite glowing but could probably fry an egg on it ;o)

For those who haven't got more money than sense I'd recommend the 6GB GTX1060 as a GPU and a Ryzen 5 1600 or higher for a cheap CPU option.
Case size and cooling matters, poor airflow and you are going to get a hot GPU which for Nvidia will throttle at 83°C

I have a GTX 660 w/2G of RAM and to my surprise it actually runs quite well. Nothing is maxed out and shadows are off but I'm happy since a new system is not in the works any time soon.

i7 6700K and GTX980TI 16GB DDR4, works well on everything maxed. GPU 80°C
i7 6700K and GTX1080TI upgrade which works even better. GPU 73°C
Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB DDR4 and 6GB GTX1060 works well on mid settings. GPU 74°C
Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB DDR4 and GTX980TI surprisingly same performance as with the I7 / 980TI GPU hitting 83°C without increasing Fan speeds (Have since put the setup in a larger case with 4 Case fans so down to 78°C)
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and 2GB GTX680, OKish on mid to low settings with maximum 4k Draw distance some stutter, throttling at 83°C so needs fans increasing.
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and GTX970 with one dead fan! Not much better than the 680 other than can increase Draw distance to 8K and doesn't stutter as above throttling at 83°C
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR3 and GTX1060 surprisingly good combination on mid settings and 8K draw distance for an old SataII / IDE motherboard TRS19 running on an old SataII 150GB drive. 71°C
Phenom 1090T X6 20GB DDR and GTX650 - forget it, slide show, not quite glowing but could probably fry an egg on it ;o)

For those who haven't got more money than sense I'd recommend the 6GB GTX1060 as a GPU and a Ryzen 5 1600 or higher for a cheap CPU option.
Case size and cooling matters, poor airflow and you are going to get a hot GPU which for Nvidia will throttle at 83°C

Thank you for this comparison, I think I'll keep what I have for now and then perhaps down the line will upgrade. I think my 960 2gb should be able to handle Trs 2019 on medium settings.

As promised (with apologies for the lots of detail?)

Computer:-
Chillblast Fusion Arc
Case:- Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Micro ATX (3 cooling fans)
Motherboard:- Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5
CPU:- Intel i5 4670 overclocked to 4.2MHz
CPU Cooler:- Corsair hydro H75 liquid cooler (CPU has not exceeded 40C)
8Gb Ram
GPU:- Palit nVidia GTX 770 - 4GB RAM (max normal running temp 70C - cooling fans auto controlled - this board has 2 cooling fans compared with the standard nVidia)

TS19 settings (matched with Tane where the setting exists)

Launcher performance:-
1920 x 1080 @60 hz - full screen
Full Synch
Maximise compatibility (TS19 only)
Shadow = High
Shadow resolution 2048
Shader = Ultra (TS19 only)
Texture = normal
postprocessing = low
Water quality = high
Detail scenery = Clutter + TurfFX (TS19 only)
Antialiasing 4x
Detail update rate = high
Multiple render threads = on
Texture streaming = on
Use PhysX = on

I chose 2 routes that I have in both TANE and TS19

1) Kickstarter County - Trees for Life
TANE performance = 30 fps (steady)
TS19 performance = 35- 48 fps (minimum 35, up to 48)

2) Mojave DPU
TANE performance - after initial loading screen, steady 30 fps (note that a slight flicker was visible, this may be due to the 30 Hz fps/60Hz monitor)
TS19 performance = 17 fps (with short bursts between 23 and 30)
Although the TS19 fps was much lower than the TANE performance, the motion was actually much smoother. The old movies were at 15 fps - which is just sufficient to prevent blur.

I have attempted the ECML, but the loading time is excessive!

HTH

Colin

As promised (with apologies for the lots of detail?)

Computer:-
Chillblast Fusion Arc
Case:- Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 Micro ATX (3 cooling fans)
Motherboard:- Gigabyte G1 Sniper M5
CPU:- Intel i5 4670 overclocked to 4.2MHz
CPU Cooler:- Corsair hydro H75 liquid cooler (CPU has not exceeded 40C)
8Gb Ram
GPU:- Palit nVidia GTX 770 - 4GB RAM (max normal running temp 70C - cooling fans auto controlled - this board has 2 cooling fans compared with the standard nVidia)

TS19 settings (matched with Tane where the setting exists)

Launcher performance:-
1920 x 1080 @60 hz - full screen
Full Synch
Maximise compatibility (TS19 only)
Shadow = High
Shadow resolution 2048
Shader = Ultra (TS19 only)
Texture = normal
postprocessing = low
Water quality = high
Detail scenery = Clutter + TurfFX (TS19 only)
Antialiasing 4x
Detail update rate = high
Multiple render threads = on
Texture streaming = on
Use PhysX = on

I chose 2 routes that I have in both TANE and TS19

1) Kickstarter County - Trees for Life
TANE performance = 30 fps (steady)
TS19 performance = 35- 48 fps (minimum 35, up to 48)

2) Mojave DPU
TANE performance - after initial loading screen, steady 30 fps (note that a slight flicker was visible, this may be due to the 30 Hz fps/60Hz monitor)
TS19 performance = 17 fps (with short bursts between 23 and 30)
Although the TS19 fps was much lower than the TANE performance, the motion was actually much smoother. The old movies were at 15 fps - which is just sufficient to prevent blur.

I have attempted the ECML, but the loading time is excessive!

HTH

Colin

Hi Colin, thank you for this, I appreciate it. It really gave me an idea of how Trs 2019 will perform on my pc.

<snip>

Erm, at the moment I am looking at somewhat low settings for TRS19.

What you have given above is a fair summary.
I have been looking at parts lists and checking on static ice which gives best prices locally.

Hmmm.

You know, when I decided to go for TANE, I purchased it and downloaded it onto my 32 bit computer.
(nowhere did I read that a 64bit computer was needed for TANE)
So a whole new computer was the go. TANE sat on the external drive for some time.

So thanks Malc, you give me some ideas. Cooling, yes. Is needed.

Has the exact official release date for TSR19 in Q4 of 2018 been decided yet?

Although I'm excited by what I've read so far and impatient to get my hands on it I am just about managing to contain myself until the official release date thereby avoiding downloading it in bits and pieces.

Back