Model layout -- experimentation and "proof of concept"

philskene

I've just been doing a little fiddling and experimentation with a T:ANE model railroad of mine, ported across into TRS19.

I like the new track. And some of the textures, though maybe the green I've used is too green? But the ballast texture matches the track perfectly. The TurfFX is going to take some mastering. From the video (best watched full screen and at 1080p) I think it might be a little overdone.

There's lots more work to be done, but as a "proof of concept" it's acceptable. Will it be worthwhile releasing this version? I'm not sure at this stage.

Phil

Although YouTube prohibits full screen on my PC the route looks sufficient to demonstrate not only the mission of the route but the value of the new features. Subtle adjustments may make it better. I prefer a slightly darker setting at noon. It is too easy to wash out colors.

Really have to tame that grass. The new ground effects and clutter will have to be applied with a light touch unless a totally disused area is being modeled otherwise I find it looks - strange.

Really have to tame that grass. The new ground effects and clutter will have to be applied with a light touch unless a totally disused area is being modeled otherwise I find it looks - strange.

I think a needed option is to have the clutter not paint over tracks.

Probably one of the consequences of objects not being able to "see" each other. The same reason one object can pass through another. With bounding boxes, this is being addressed so that smoke no longer goes right through the roof. This would have to be user controlled at the object level or else we could no longer "create" larger buildings by nesting several smaller ones. Meanwhile will have to be careful to not paint the clutter and Turf too close to areas they shouldn't be.

OK, but textures don't paint over buildings, can tracks be treated in the same way? (of course, I don't have 2019 yet, perhaps the grass is like a building)

Phil,
It looks great. Mann, Fromm, Laramie, right? I just ported the TANE version to 2019 to see how it looked. It was nice, but your grass and clutter additions are really cool.

If you are going to “adjust” all your routes to 2019 standards, I’ll leave the TANE ones on my old computer and run your adjusted ones on the new rig. Very nicely done.

Gary

Nice work. The parallax effect on the ballast texture creates some strange artefacts at sharp changes in ground geometry- particularly noticeable at the baseboard edge behind the train at around 6:15 onwards.

R3

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

• I prefer a slightly darker setting at noon. It is too easy to wash out colors.

I agree. I'm still coming to terms with those three environmental dials. I'd like to see an easier and more precise way of making changes.

• Really have to tame that grass. The new ground effects and clutter will have to be applied with a light touch unless a totally disused area is being modeled otherwise I find it looks - strange.

• I think a needed option is to have the clutter not paint over tracks.

I need to talk yet again to the President of the Railroad to approve expenditure on the JR Weed Control train. He's refused in the past but I think the video shows why we desperately need it.

Seriously, I used two TurfFX layers, both identical to the "Grass Seeds 2" used in the built-in Content Samples route, except I changed the "geometry-scale" settings to 0.7 and 0.3. The 0.7 is the maximum height that can be used before the grass seeds protrude above the deck of those flat cars. The 0.3 is used beside and over the track. I've experimented more and found that using 0.2 instead of 0.3 produces minimal cover through the ballast between the running rails. I'll use this in future.

• If you are going to “adjust” all your routes to 2019 standards, ... .

I think one of the N3V newsletters referred to me as the "prolific creator" of model railroads? If I have to update all my previous layouts I might not have time to do new ones. But then again, some would be excellent candidates for use in TRS19. We will see.

• The parallax effect on the ballast texture creates some strange artefacts at sharp changes in ground geometry- particularly noticeable at the baseboard edge behind the train at around 6:15 onwards.

Yes, I noticed that too. It can also sometimes happen adjacent to the track ballast. It's one of the downsides of 3D PBR textures we might have to live with.

For those who also want to experiment:

Track --TRS19 Track 1. Main line height = 0; yard area track, depressed slightly, height = -0.10

Textures -- PBR Gravel 2, Foliage 6, Grass 5, Aztec Ground Tiles 1, ConcretePavementCrackedGround (for the floor). Minimum setting, no rotation. In T:ANE I generally apply an undercoat and do a light sweep over with one or two textures. In TRS19 this don't work with the PBR textures -- no light texture overlays because this destroys the 3D effect.

TurfFX -- based on "Grass Seeds 2" used in the built-in Content Sample route, but with the geometry-scale set to 0.7 for the long grass and 0.3 for short grass (but I will be using 0.2 for the latter from now on).​

Looks pretty impressive from here!

Regarding the colours/fog/brightness, I'd really like the dials and sliders to display a numeric value. That would help getting reproducible effects. The advanced concept is to have number entry with save to disc facility...

Colin

Back