Merge route!?

escd84

Has anyone already tried this in TRS19? For me, there are always exactly the 2 ways it ends. A to B and the game crashes from B to A and the game hangs forever.

Edit:

Something like that CPU 24%, RAM 43% and GPU 65% all the time when the game hangs on.

Last edited:
Is the program being busy, which it sounds like rather than hanging. Give it a few minutes and see what's happening. A very large route or routes can take a very long time, for lack of technical explanation, to merge together.

I had no issues merging Clear Lake Lumber into my test single-baseboard route either way.

Why your's crashed going one way but not the other is odd, but it could be something to do with route sizes, something corrupted, etc.

So I wait 1 1/2 hours, nothing changed. I tried to merge 2 blank baseboards I created in TRS19, so both are build 4.6

Found a cause: With TransDEM generated maps the *name*_transdem_info must be deleted for it to work. Then it works within a few seconds. No idea if Geophil and TransDEM should be informed as well?

For the crash when merging empty baseboards, I have not found a clue. Bug report made.

Edit:

I have no idea how a difference from a grid comes about with the baseboard transitions

2018-09-02154621.jpg

2018-09-02154636.jpg

Last edited:
My experience with merge is not good. I tried to merge DBtogether- France and Sulitjelma routes, both clean, build 4.6.
When i tried merge small route to big then i have CTD after about 20 min. Then i tried to merge the big route in small one, then process isn't finished in 3 hours, so i gave up.

celje - Recommend temporarily increasing your swapfile/ virtual memory allocation to an amount about twice what your physical RAM is.
This should give you the memory headroom for this (obviously lengthy) process to complete, since it is evidently swapping out to pagefiles already.
Note that new swapfiles can be added to any HDD and not just your boot disk.
(Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, Change... etc. Save and reboot to apply your new virtual memory settings)
The other ingredient needed here is Patience. Merges of large routes take time...

celje - Recommend temporarily increasing your swapfile/ virtual memory allocation to an amount about twice what your physical RAM is.
This should give you the memory headroom for this (obviously lengthy) process to complete, since it is evidently swapping out to pagefiles already.
Note that new swapfiles can be added to any HDD and not just your boot disk.
(Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory, Change... etc. Save and reboot to apply your new virtual memory settings)
The other ingredient needed here is Patience. Merges of large routes take time...

PC Ace, thank you very much for advice. About virtual, I have now Initial 16384 mb and max 32786, free space on HD 3TB. Can you suggest a different setting.

It is quite possible this issue is specific to the routes you are merging - please provide the KUIDs so someone can check if it happens for them to eliminate hardware configuration as a factor.

What size is your physical RAM (i.e. DDR3 or DDR4?)
For example, I have 16Gb of DRAM so I would temporarily set mine to 32Gb on two drives (i.e. boot drive and including the drive that houses T:ANE or TRS2019) just to be sure.
Your available CPU cores and hyperthreading play a big part in this too, as does any fragmentation of the files contained in the route - suggest run a defrag on the drives you're planning to use as virtual memory first in any event, plus the drive that contains the routes. And don't run much else during this process except perhaps Task Manager or some other memory monitoring tool.

I don't know about the route size of DBtogether - France (etc.) but understand that it is quite large. How many megabytes?

In the past, I have watched some T:ANE processes (like merges and Full Database Repairs) take up more than 40Gb of pagefile memory.

It is quite possible this issue is specific to the routes you are merging - please provide the KUIDs so someone can check if it happens for them to eliminate hardware configuration as a factor.

Thank you Mr. Hilliam
It's not possible to provide the kuids, because DBtogether-France route for TRS19 is not yet published. I'm working on it now. I will try with higher virtual memory.

regards
celje

What size is your physical RAM (i.e. DDR3 or DDR4?)
For example, I have 16Gb of DRAM so I would temporarily set mine to 32Gb on two drives (i.e. boot drive and including the drive that houses T:ANE or TRS2019) just to be sure.
Your available CPU cores and hyperthreading play a big part in this too, as does any fragmentation of the files contained in the route - suggest run a defrag on the drives you're planning to use as virtual memory first in any event, plus the drive that contains the routes. And don't run much else during this process except perhaps Task Manager or some other memory monitoring tool.

I don't know about the route size of DBtogether - France (etc.) but understand that it is quite large. How many megabytes?

In the past, I have watched some T:ANE processes (like merges and Full Database Repairs) take up more than 40Gb of pagefile memory.

Specifications
RAM 16 gb, i7 4790, CPU cores 8

DBtogether-France 200mb, Sulitjelma 50mb

I defraged, i will try now with 80000 mb initial and max same value.

Heh! Good luck with that. Costs nothing to experiment with swap file space and with 3Tb available, you've got a bit of headroom there. :)

Expect that it WILL still take some considerable time to complete - especially if your route is over 100Mb.
4 cores and 8 threads will certainly help - (I have the i7-4790K running at 4.6Ghz btw) - but such merges often involve serial rather than parallel threading processes.
Now give it a try and monitor your pagefile and memory use using Process Explorer or Task manager or similar. Should be interesting.
Remember - if it's not throwing up errors, it's probably merging, so Patience and time allocation will be the key ingredients hereinafter.

If successful, you can revert your virtual memory settings to something more sensible afterwards...

Last edited:
A normal route merge with ~200MB routes should take less than a minute. We have identified an issue with TransDEM route merging so it sounds like your issue will fall under that category.

I'm optimizing the disk now, it will last a couple of hours still.
But i have question. In CM of TANE the routes for TRS19 are shown as ''Incompatible''. In CM of TRS19 the new routes are not shown yet, so the only way for download is use DLS with ''Download with Content Manager''. Is it possible that this cause the problems.

Incompatible with T:ANE means the route is at a different Build version now for TRS19, and therefore cannot be downloaded into T:ANE. With the changes made with TRS19, I don't think that the content can be down-versioned.

Incompatible with T:ANE means the route is at a different Build version now for TRS19, and therefore cannot be downloaded into T:ANE. With the changes made with TRS19, I don't think that the content can be down-versioned.

Yes of course, it's not possible to download from CM of TANE, but question is why the route is not shown in CM of TRS19. When you open CM of TRS19 there is no new assets.

Last edited:
Yes of course, it's not possible to download from CM of TANE, but question is why the route is not shown in CM of TRS19. When you open CM of TRS19 there is no new assets.

That's odd. Is something corrupted in the route (I truly hope not!). Have you tried a backup of the route? Even one that's older maybe good for testing just to see what's going on.

Can you make the unfinished route available for testing? I would like to take a look at it and see what's going on. I don't need your content as I will just try the merge of the routes.

If you can do that, I'll test it privately and see what's going on. Just send me a link via PM.

My system has gobs of memory and disk space so with that I can rule out hardware.

Back