Faulty Assets in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I have a strange problem. I have TRS 2019 installed on two computers: a desktop and a laptop.

I have loaded all my TANE routes/session onto both systems along with all the required assets. Many of these of course came from the DLS while others are payware.

On the desktop computer all my routes are fault free. When I downloaded assets onto my laptop I get many faulty assets (Many of the majekear rolling stock show up as faulty).

So the question is why are the assets appearing OK on one computer and faulty on the other one. Both installations are set to "maximize compatibility" mode.

Hi Paul_bert
Do the assets show any actual errors if you right click on the, and then click on 'view errors and warnings'?

Otherwise, like Tony has said, please try an extended database repair. This is done by clicking on 'Developer' at the top of the launcher or content manager screen, and then hold down the CTRL key and left click on 'rebuild database'.

Regards

I did an extended database repair as suggested. Assets still show as faulty. However if I click on 'view errors and warnings' they show no errors, just warnings (All yellow messages no red ones)

I tried deleting these assets and downloading again - same results. I tried opening for edit and then submitting them - same results.

Not sure what the next steps should be.

I have double checked my game settings on my two computers and they appear to be set the same.

As an aside these assets all work fine in my installation of TANE on this same computer.

Last edited:
I did an extended database repair as suggested. Assets still show as faulty. However if I click on 'view errors and warnings' they show no errors, just warnings (All yellow messages no red ones)

I tried deleting these assets and downloading again - same results. I tried opening for edit and then submitting them - same results.

Not sure what the next steps should be.

I have double checked my game settings on my two computers and they appear to be set the same.

As an aside these assets all work fine in my installation of TANE on this same computer.

I noticed this myself with some content. When I viewed the errors and warnings, CM showed no errors and warnings, but the assets took a few seconds to disappear from the list. I noticed too that clicking on another CM window, I had a couple of windows open like I usually do, and the errors disappeared a bit quicker.

I fixed it for now. What I love about this game is that if you push enough keys and tinker around enough you can probably fix it.

So I looked at all the dependencies of all the rolling stock and found one that had an obsoleted reference in the alias line in config file. I updated the alias and low and behold everything became all right.

But the great mystery is why the very same consist appears OK in my other installation of TRS 2019 with the alias referencing the same obsolete asset. This game sometimes is pure black magic to get it running.

I also found another asset which was faulty (2:56063:102905:2 - 2 Bay CFlow Hopper) which was also OK in both TANE and my other install of 2019. I ended up just replacing this asset in one of my routes so I could get on with some real playing with the route.

Again this was after 2 comprehensive data rebuilds. At any rate all is back to normal for a while. No errors in this group of routes and sessions.

As an aside my second installation is running on an Alienware laptop with all the sliders maxed out. Getting really good framerates with very little stuttering on all the built in and my routes.

I have had similar problems, particularly after transferring assets or completing an extended data base repair. There are two faults that seem to appear regularly: either the asset is faulty or the asset contains faulty dependencies. To fix the errors, you can try the following:
Faulty asset - open in content manager and right click on the faulty asset, if the 'revert to original' line is alive (i.e. is blue) then click that link and see if that repairs the fault. If the 'revert to original' line is not active, select 'open for edit'. Once the asset is opened for edit click 'submit edits'. That should fix the problem.

Asset contains faulty dependencies - open in content manager and right click on the faulty asset and select 'list dependencies'. The faulty dependency will be highlighted in red. Then simply follow the steps above.

Please note that you can do bulk repairs by highlighting multiple faulty assets and then followin the procedures above.

Regards
Bob

So I looked at all the dependencies of all the rolling stock and found one that had an obsoleted reference in the alias line in config file. I updated the alias and low and behold everything became all right.
There was a problem in T:ane that if you had an earlier version of a dependency then (depending on how the dependency was used) the asset would show as faulty even if you also had the correct, later, version of the dependency installed. It's possible that this isn't fixed in TRS2019, and you had both dependencies installed.

I have intermittently had the same problem with obsolete dependencies, especially mesh libraries. I found the problem is resolved when the obsolete dependency is deleted, leaving only the up-to-date dependency installed. This gives Trainz no choice but to use the right version of the dependency.

If the obsoleting system worked properly, this kind of manual intervention would not be required. It seems like the program lacks the ability to automatically perform fully recursive checks on dependencies.

I have intermittently had the same problem with obsolete dependencies, especially mesh libraries. I found the problem is resolved when the obsolete dependency is deleted, leaving only the up-to-date dependency installed. This gives Trainz no choice but to use the right version of the dependency.
The problem occurs with a 'mesh-asset' reference to the dependency, which is usually a library, but could be any asset. There doesn't seem to be a problem following the dependency chain, but the asset validation fails if any dependency causes a fail, whereas it should be looking only at the latest version of the dependency. Why a 'mesh-asset' dependency should be different to any other I don't know. It doesn't happen with TS12.

My first thought would be that both instals are not identical.

Compare both installed lists, # of items etc.

I have a strange problem. I have TRS 2019 installed on two computers: a desktop and a laptop.

I have loaded all my TANE routes/session onto both systems along with all the required assets. Many of these of course came from the DLS while others are payware.

On the desktop computer all my routes are fault free. When I downloaded assets onto my laptop I get many faulty assets (Many of the majekear rolling stock show up as faulty).

So the question is why are the assets appearing OK on one computer and faulty on the other one. Both installations are set to "maximize compatibility" mode.

There doesn't seem to be a problem following the dependency chain, but the asset validation fails if any dependency causes a fail, whereas it should be looking only at the latest version of the dependency.

Trainz is behaving correctly here. This is a deliberate check to help avoid the scenario where a creator releases an update for (eg) TRS19, and in the process breaks all the existing dependant assets for (eg) TANE. It's very easy to do by accident, and it's very problematic for users who are (for whatever reason) on older versions of the game, therefore we explicitly check and prevent it.

hth,

chris

This is a deliberate check to help avoid the scenario where a creator releases an update for (eg) TRS19, and in the process breaks all the existing dependant assets for (eg) TANE.

Uh? So the creator uploads an updated library that breaks some existing dependents, and to help avoid this you mark all dependent assets as faulty! How does that help avoid the upload of the update?

And it creates the issue that the user fix (deleting the older version of the dependency) contradicts everything that has ever been stated about how the versioning process functions.

Why should a 'mesh-asset' dependency be different than any other dependency update that can break an existing asset?

Wow!

I just transferred by MBC1887 route from T:ANE to TRS19 and have 127 faulty assets. Some are missing dependencies, which I will go and retrieve. But most are just faulty including many ground textures taht will be tedious to replace if even possible.

I thought TRS19 was supposed to be more T:ANE friendly, that is if it ran in T:ANE it would run in TRS19.

Cayden

Hi Cayden (I've been quite busy so haven't had chance to respond to your query).

There are some assets for various reasons that are faulty in TRS19 but in some instances there are updated versions on the Download Station from memory.

Shane

Missing textures is generally due to people importing builtin content incorrectly. You cannot import builtin content - you need to download the packaged DLC version or download from the DLS.

This link has all the details: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Importing_Content

Thanks again Tony. The transfer went soooo smoothly.

One hiccup however.

The following assets have a higher kuid number in TANE than in TRS19 and so I am having problems importing them.

Coalhill
TANE kuid2:85701:26013:1
TRS19 kuid2:85701:26013

Culvert Pipe Dusty
TANE kuid2:9000:37003:1
TRS19 kuid2:9000:37003

Cab Island Lawn
TANE kuid2:60349:1067:1
TRS19 kuid2:60349:1067

Cailloux03
TANE kuid2:38427:100019:1
TRS19 kuid2:38427:100019

BlueMountains
TANE kuid2:2300:21128:1
TRS19 kuid2:2300:21128

Overhead Light Pool10
TANE kuid2:60238:26202:1
TRS19 kuid2:60238:26202

How can one address this problem?

Cayden

The following assets have a higher kuid number in TANE than in TRS19 and so I am having problems importing them.
Four of those should be built-in for TRS19 - it might be dependant on what DLC you have (although I didn't think DLC affects built-ins).
<kuid2:9000:37003:1>, <kuid2:38427:100019:1> seem to be missing.

There was a similar issue in the transition from TS12 to Tane, where built-in assets from the older edition took some time to make it to the DLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back