TurfFX versus spline grass - effect on frame rates

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
Many of my old routes used spline grass to fill in areas around track, sidings, old warehouse areas, etc. Assuming you have a good GPU what is the net effect on frame rates when you replace the spline grass with TurfFX effect layers.

I am making the assumption that spline grass was CPU intensive while TrufFX is certainly GPU intensive. I am thinking that substituing the TurfFX effects for the old spline grass would not be as big a net hit on Frame rates.

Any thoughts on this?

TurfFX has very little effect on frame rates. I only have a GTX770 card yet can run the Hinton route with TurfFX all over plus Cutter effects ans still get an avg 30 FPS. No jerkiness or stutter. The old spline type grass / bush assets are a decided CPU hog.

Not only that - but the old spline-type grass/ bush assets look so lame!
Good riddance, I say.

To be clear - the effect on fps for TurfFX is very much hardware dependant. There is a huge performance penalty on low end machines, and far less impact on higher end machines. It also depends on the effect parameters are well. Very dense grash costs more than sparsely spread grass.

That said, grass splines are notorious performance hogs. Removing the grass splines and replacing with TurfFX should see an improvement in many cases.

To be clear - the effect on fps for TurfFX is very much hardware dependant. There is a huge performance penalty on low end machines, and far less impact on higher end machines. It also depends on the effect parameters are well. Very dense grash costs more than sparsely spread grass.

That said, grass splines are notorious performance hogs. Removing the grass splines and replacing with TurfFX should see an improvement in many cases.

Is it CPU or GPU?
I've noticed TRS19 performing a little jerky (running a Kickstarter country 2 session it kept complaining of a 'Rough handling' when I was cruising under the speed limit, It seemed to be tied with my FPS dipping, or even when I checked the settings and applied it I got a little jerk which upset my passengers :|).

I've got a 1070GTX, 16gb RAM but my processor is the older part, a i5 4690k @3.5ghz.

Davie_UCF - The 'Rough Handling' notifications have little to do with your hardware combo - Like the 'Excessive curve speed' and 'Speeding' notifications, they reflect driver misdemeanors and the lack of granular control we have over locomotive acceleration and braking, particularly when starting, coupling or stopping a consist, even at low speeds.
The current game settings have them protesting a lot/ too much!
Doesn't matter whether it is an AI driver or a cautious and skilled human player, it is hard to avoid the Rough Handling notifications with the current settings.
Regarding hardware - I have a similar setup to you except that my CPU is the i7-4790K Devil's Canyon running at 4.6 Ghz.
KSC2 is smooth (but taxing in places, since it's a 'new features showcase') with everything maxed out including Draw Distance (which they warn you about in the Session blurb as being best left set at 6000m).
Suggest try setting Vertical Synch to 'Half' so that your CPU can better support the high framerates that your GPU is capable of producing.

Last edited:
Davie_UCF - The 'Rough Handling' notifications have little to do with your hardware combo - Like the 'Excessive curve speed' and 'Speeding' notifications, they reflect driver misdemeanors and the lack of granular control we have over locomotive acceleration and braking, particularly when starting, coupling or stopping a consist, even at low speeds.
The current game settings have them protesting a lot/ too much!
Doesn't matter whether it is an AI driver or a cautious and skilled human player, it is hard to avoid the Rough Handling notifications with the current settings.
Regarding hardware - I have a similar setup to you except that my CPU is the i7-4790K Devil's Canyon running at 4.6 Ghz.
KSC2 is smooth (but taxing in places) with everything maxed out including Draw Distance (which they warn you about in the Session blurb as being best left set at 6000m).
Suggest try setting Vertical Synch to 'Half' so that your CPU can better support the high framerates that your GPU is capable of producing.

I'll try the refresh rate trick later.
I lowered my settings quite a lot and it still performed badly.

I don't understand the rough handling notification as it did seem to come up when the train jerked due to performance. Considering I was going half the speed limit and wasn't even touching the controls!

I don't understand the rough handling notification as it did seem to come up when the train jerked due to performance. Considering I was going half the speed limit and wasn't even touching the controls!

I certainly wouldn't rule it out at this point. We have open bugs against the "comfort" measurements. While I can't say definitively what the problem is until we've had a chance to investigate more carefully, it's certainly believable that it might relate to sudden variations in frame rate.

chris

Hi Paul --

You might have seen the screen shotz I posted in the Screen Shot Forum. I must admit I might have overcooked TurfFX in this shot, but despite the high density of the grass I noticed no reduction in frame rates over the T:ANE version without TurfFX:

TRS19%20MannPhromLaramee_01.jpg

Phil

Back