1st impressions

mrjunction

If it rides on Rails....
So the absolute 1st thing I noticed was the creepy animated drivers! I find them dis-concerting,and I am not a fan. Not even a little teeny tiny bit. I also think that colors are washed out and not as vibrant. So far I'm not finding this version to be "groundbreaking".

I wonder if that's something that can be dealt with by way of the environment controls (from memory some had to reset theirs with T:ANE).

Shane

So you prefer the old drivers? These new drivers look more real.
So the animated CG zombies look more real? Maybe spend more time/money on updated content. Not to knock Tume for his Milw Rd content,but the Little joe is straight outta TRS2004

I thought one of the S&C drivers looked a bit shifty. The animated drivers were a surprise though, but I guess I'll get used to them. Initial impressions were that it all looked a bit like t'other simulator, but I haven't really set the graphics up properly yet.

You can use "edit environment" from the main menu;
I can't remember if you need to edit the route ( though you can now clone any route), but reduce the fog fog and the brightness for each of the buttons around the clock.

This is one of the big differences between TS19 and previous versions...

Colin

You think the drivers are creepy now, you should have seen the first ones in closed beta.

Guys out of a 2004 zombie game.

Harold

The brightness is an issue; - in both the S&C routes and the Australian routes the landscape was dazzlingly bright. One small happy plus is that for the first time I drove an engine using the big girl controls and not DCC and I didn't stall on any gradients or overshot stops at platforms. My dear old engine driver grandad will be smiling down at me from the big engine shed in the sky.

The brightness is an issue; - in both the S&C routes and the Australian routes the landscape was dazzlingly bright. One small happy plus is that for the first time I drove an engine using the big girl controls and not DCC and I didn't stall on any gradients or overshot stops at platforms. My dear old engine driver grandad will be smiling down at me from the big engine shed in the sky.

Environmental setting, start with the new brightness slider, the vertical slider bottom right click one of the blobs on the clock relevant to the time of day and tweak away.

Instructions here, they need updating a bit as the brightness slider is missing and the settings are more applicable to TANE http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools

Well I am very much impressed. Just took my first run on Kickstarter Country while watching the GPU temperature and performance stats. The GPU (a GTX 1050ti) maxed out its load on a few occasions but the temperature never got above 71C which the laptop's cooling system easily handled.

I love the new Driver interface - all that screen real estate that was previously taken away for control bars and instrumentation has nearly all been reclaimed without losing the control bars and instrumentation. The "track ahead" detail showing the signal states, speed restrictions and gradients for a few miles ahead is a great idea - a suggestion for the future, add the ability to switch junctions ahead (where possible).

The animated driver icons were a bit unnerving at first but after a while they started to look like they actually belonged. It took me a little while to work out the driver control tools (driver selection, etc) but I quickly got the hang of it.

My partner loves the animated scenery cows. Her assessment:-
"they are cute"
It is going to be hard going back to TANE SP3 on my desktop.

Well done N3V - ignore the "knockers".

Last edited:
Back