using PEV tools with an emulator

dangavel

I have Parallels emulator installed on my mac to use with PEV tools as its PC only , its the only pc program I intend to use. I've installed windows 8.1 on the mac using the emulator and thats working ok, but I want to bring in assets to edit in PEV . I imagine I will have to actually install the windows version of TANE on the pc side of things in order to have a pathway to the trainz assets, even tho I have the full install on the mac side. Am I correct regarding the install of copies on both and PC or can I fudge it and establish a link to the tane folder in the mac ? I am reluctant to do two installs as i only have a 500gb ssd and the tane asset folder is around 100gb, although i suppose i could only install the items i want to edit and cut the amount of disc space involved that way. anyone have any ideas ?

As far as I'm aware PEV's tools (which I host) are Windows only as they are EXE files. Not sure about whether they work in a Windows emulator as I haven't got one of those.

Shane

I have Parallels emulator installed on my mac to use with PEV tools as its PC only , its the only pc program I intend to use. I've installed windows 8.1 on the mac using the emulator and thats working ok, but I want to bring in assets to edit in PEV . I imagine I will have to actually install the windows version of TANE on the pc side of things in order to have a pathway to the trainz assets, even tho I have the full install on the mac side.
Maybe not. AssetX and the other tools operate on individual files, or folders of files. If you can export the asset from CM to a folder, then you could move the folder contents to the emulated drive, and the tools will work with those files. Then move the files back to the original folder on the host side, and commit the asset from within CM.

That assumes that, in MAC, CM exports an asset to a folder, and imports an asset from a folder, in the same way that it does in PC.

The emulator I use allows access to files from both environments, so it may be that the tools running in the Windows environment can work directly on the files in the macOS environment.

No doubt we will be informed by dangavel.

Last edited:
The emulator I use allows access to files from both environments, so it may be that the tools running in the Windows environment can work directly on the files in the macOS environment.

No doubt we will be informed by dangavel.

thanks for the suggestions guys, i have tried to make a pathway from the windows PEV install to my editing folder on the mac, but so far no dice, i must be doing something wrong.i'll probably have to install windows vesison of tane on there and just bring over problem files for editing.
i'll have to play with it more tomorrow as i am busy moving all my sp2 content into a separate sp3 install on my SSD and deleting dozens of old redundant route default files.
for some strange reason when I bring in pencil42s cliff spline asset libraries from sp2 into sp3 content manager the asset library is seen as a default session even though its still got all the original content in the folder , all the related splines have missing dependencies !
I've had to delete about 20 of them and reinstall the original kuids and it takes ages. .

Back