TS2019 is good for heat!

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
When I started TS2019 the heat levels displayed on my system monitoring software all took a jump. This Xeon of mine has fans on everything including the RAM and puts a small tornado out the back of the case when they all chime in so there's nothing wrong with its cooling. TS2019 definitely makes everything run hotter than TANE does. Does that make TS2019 just the thing for Winter time gaming I wonder........

It has been colder this morning and last night we had the first rain fall in weeks (in a drought that is now regarded as one of the worst in 100 years). I have been warming myself from all the TS19 heat generated in just in these forums alone. An actual copy of TS19 might just be the thing for what remains of this unusually dry and warm winter.

That's been my observations as well.

I popped up the EVGA Precision-X and checked the temperatures. Surprisingly, they weren't as high as I thought they were from the feel of the heat coming out of the back of the PC. The temperature was about 66 C on the video card, which is well within range. T:ANE is a bit lower in the upper 50s, I think I saw 57 C one day when running with Precision-X running.

My CPU temps seem to be pretty constant in the high 50s when running TRS2019, which is the same for T:ANE as well. This means that most of the heat is coming from the GPU. With that said, we have to remember that TRS2019 is using a lot more of the GPU than it did in the past with the Turf-FX, lighting models, and all the other goodies we want.

The thing is if the system has adequate cooling for its components and case, then the computer should be able to handle the increased heat that graphics intensive programs produce. With this in mind, I wouldn't recommend running this on one of those super-thin sub-notebooks.

The CPU on my Xeon is staying around 47 degrees as opposed to 38 degrees for TANE, but since Quadro cards tend to run hot I've reprofiled the fan speed and that's dropped its temperature back to a less insane level. I wouldn't want to be running TS2019 on anything in a squitty thin case with marginal air cooling. I know they're got some pretty trick laptops around these days that are good for gaming, but I think it would be 'frying tonight' if you ran TS2019 on one.

Back