Open Letter to the Trainz Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own concerns are not about the cost, delivery method etc. but rather about the consequences of choosing one method of purchase rather than another.

My own preference would be the ability to buy the basic program (the DLS, Surveyor, Driver et al) with all the built in assets but none of the routes, other than those I actually wanted (which would be none of the current N3V payware or built-ins of TANE).

TS2019 looks like it might have something like that option - the non-subscription option. But if one were able to buy just the basic program (DLS, Surveyor, Driver et al) without any built-in routes, would that option still give access to all the built-in assets, including those in the routes included in Subscription options? If not, the basic program wouldn't be so useful as there would be no built-in assets so any self-built routes would have to use freeware and payware assets only....

Moreover, freeware routes built by those who do have access to subscription-only built-in assets would be problematic for those without access to those built-in assets. This happened to a degree with TANE and it's three levels of product, the basic one of which lacked a number of assets included with the extra routes of the most expensive product version.

Or have I got this all confused.

Lataxe

Last edited:
Lataxe, I can offer some advice here since I have bought the standalone (non subscription) version and have installed it on my laptop (since it has a far better graphics card than my desktop).

The DLC content is available to everyone, regardless of how you bought the program. The standalone came with built in routes and all the TANE built ins.

The Gold subscribers get to choose 5 DLC offering every month as part of their subscription package (I could be wrong on the exact number) plus they get to preview new DLC routes before anyone else for free. They can also buy all and any DLC routes above their free selection at a reduced rate. I don't think that there are any exclusively Gold DLC packages apart from the previews. It also includes a FCT and updates to TS19 that include new features that the rest of us will have to wait until the program is updated to the next version.

I hope I got that right.

I decided on the standalone package because I am not much of a buyer of DLC content and I already have a lifetime FCT - if you get the Gold subscription and you already have a lifetime FCT they give you a discount on the monthly subscription. Plus I am not a fan of subscription software packages in general.

There are already a couple of threads giving reviews, etc at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?147917-1st-impressions and https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?147930-TRS2019-Post-Install-Problems-amp-Observations. No doubt there will be more.

A lot of the angst (but not all) in the forums seems to be over the fact that N3V are offering subscription options to those who want them. Those who don't want them can buy TS19 (or not) as they always have.

My opinions only.

Last edited:
Thanks to Tony and the team for this new version (Should of been what us kick starters paid for back in the day, but you live and learn!).

As for me, I've signed up to the yearly gold package. So flame on people! :D

Just one question from me, is the TMR17 routes editable at long last in this program. I can't check anything out at the moment as the file is still downloading.

Regards.
CaptEngland

After the initial early pre-ordered release of this great TRS19 product surely one would be able to purchase a standard package (on line or disc set version), and then later have an option of upgrading to a gold package subscription deal?

After researching the product found that this website is more specific and answers most questions: http://trs19.trainzportal.com/

Last edited:
The Silver Subscription is designed more for those who have already purchased the standalone product but as it is early days I am sure that something along the lines of your suggestion could eventually be made available.

Lataxe, I can offer some advice here since I have bought the standalone (non subscription) version and have installed it on my laptop (since it has a far better graphics card than my desktop).

The DLC content is available to everyone, regardless of how you bought the program. The standalone came with built in routes and all the TANE built ins.

The Gold subscribers get to choose 5 DLC offering every month as part of their subscription package (I could be wrong on the exact number) plus they get to preview new DLC routes before anyone else for free. They can also buy all and any DLC routes above their free selection at a reduced rate. I don't think that there are any exclusively Gold DLC packages apart from the previews. It also includes a FCT and updates to TS19 that include new features that the rest of us will have to wait until the program is updated to the next version.

I hope I got that right.

I decided on the standalone package because I am not much of a buyer of DLC content and I already have a lifetime FCT - if you get the Gold subscription and you already have a lifetime FCT they give you a discount on the monthly subscription. Plus I am not a fan of subscription software packages in general.

There are already a couple of threads giving reviews, etc at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?147917-1st-impressions and https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?147930-TRS2019-Post-Install-Problems-amp-Observations. No doubt there will be more.

A lot of the angst (but not all) in the forums seems to be over the fact that N3V are offering subscription options to those who want them. Those who don't want them can buy TS19 (or not) as they always have.

My opinions only.

Thank you for those clarifications, which are very reassuring.

There is a lot of angst about, eh? Personally I would prefer the whole capitalist model of economics to go away in favour of something better but since there's no sign of that (either the going-away or the something-better) I feel it's best to accept the current realities without getting one's collar hot. :) A

t least the Trainz product is mostly virtual and therefore not trashing the planet (although having the necessary computing infrastructure might be doing a bit of planet-trashing). Also, I have heard that it's possible for humans to do without Trainz, alarming though that idea might seem!

Lataxe, staying calm and carrying on.

Or have I got this all confused.

Lataxe

You are very good company because lots of folk are confused. However, I suspect this is all a "storm in a teacup" and we will look forward to complaining how much better TRS19 was than TRS20/21. :hehe: When I first read the offering I was both confused and unsure what option to take.
Moreover, freeware routes built by those who do have access to subscription-only built-in assets would be problematic for those without access to those built-in assets. This happened to a degree with TANE and it's three levels of product, the basic one of which lacked a number of assets included with the extra routes of the most expensive product version.

It should not be an issue if route builders do the "are all the dependencies on the DLS" test. I believe, but am not sure, that the current DLS validation does this and if anything fails the test then the route bounces to the CRG providing the uploader doesn't cancel the upload.

If subscribers get instant updates while non subscribers have to wait until the updates are released could we have a situation where route builders who are on subscription release a route or a session which will not work on a non scription users PC as the update effects the session. This could happen with eg interlocking towers.

Ken

If subscribers get instant updates while non subscribers have to wait until the updates are released could we have a situation where route builders who are on subscription release a route or a session which will not work on a non scription users PC as the update effects the session. This could happen with eg interlocking towers.

I am speculating since there are no details out but I feel that it is more likely that the new features would be in the form of Surveyor, Driver or CM tools/features rather than new types of assets or new session rules or driver commands, for example, that would not work on a non Gold subscription system.. Your point is a valid one.

You should know "speculation" is the worst sin a person can commit on these forums. Even when based on history, experience, known facts, etc.

I am speculating since there are no details out but I feel that it is more likely that the new features would be in the form of Surveyor, Driver or CM tools/features rather than new types of assets or new session rules or driver commands, for example, that would not work on a non Gold subscription system.. Your point is a valid one.

I did ask this question, and this is pretty much what Windwalkr said when he answered my questions.

I was concerned too that we would also end up with a disparate assortment of versions on the DLS, but that won't be the case and the changes will be with new Surveyor tools, and other nifty things.

I don't get the problem. For right now both stand alone and subscription are supported. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable. Times change, business models change. I personally prefer subscriptions services. Adobe cost me $20/month and get latest updates. Just the cost to support my hobby. I subscribe to iTunes and get access to every bit of music I ever could want. I have over 2K jazz songs that I have on a play list. Don't even want to think what the CD\record costs would be. Yes I know I wont have anything if I stop the subscription yada yada yada. If the collecting material possession of the things in important to you then buy it and possess it.

In the case of TRAINZ the biggest reason to go subscription is support. Not the support YOU get but supporting the program that I get a lot of pleasure from. subscribe to a route mapping app for my motorcycle riding. You can use it for free if slightly crippled. But by subscribing I help support the work of the developer and do my part to get new updates out. I feel the same about the subscription for TRAINZ. They provide a service I enjoy and am willing to pay for it AND help support further development.

Bottom line, just go with what makes you happy/comfortable and move on.

I'm 74 (and feeling it) and down here in the valley called Retirement Community looking up at the top of the mountain that is TRS2019. It's so, so far away to the top of that N3V mountain. I pulled out my wallet and looked at the offerings of Silver and Gold. I said to myself not this month or the next, if ever. Seventy United States Dollars you say. No have got. Food, housing, clothes, education of grand kids, come before Trainz. Life is simple sometimes.

Last edited:
As I've always said, this is a hobby, life takes precedence. I see you've got T:ANE which is still scheduled to receive updates so enjoy what you've got. It was yesterday's WOW and is still no slouch.

Majekear, I am in the same boat even though I am working a salaried job and make a very good salary. There are just too many other things going on. $500 for a new dryer, $350 for car repairs, and now we are looking at having gutters replaced. I am hoping to retire in about 4 years (67), but don't know if I'll make it, because my 401K did not recover well after the recession. I am hoping to get the subscription model, but like you I need about a $2k computer. My old laptop barely cuts it with T:ANE. We all have to live within our limits, but no hard feelings for those who have the money and computer power to jump to the latest. It looks really cool, and I hope some day I can. For now I just have to enjoy screen shots and videos. Sigh.... Maybe we should start a Go-Fund-Me page for needy TRAINZ folk. Maybe we could get enough for a couple of new PCs. :O)

Not sure of the significance of that last post, particularly since the previous post is almost 12 months older. But, if "spending cash on a menu" is correct then, by all accounts, it is a very successful menu!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back