Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TRS19 - FAQ Thread

My FCT expires in a week and I went to renew. All that I can get is a 7 day at $4.99.
    Problem solved. We had taken the other options down temporarily while we sorted out a few things and they have now been reinstated.

Everything is back the way it was on the store. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, and also, there is now an option in MyTrainz to get your FCT through the subscription system.

Prices are $3.99 paid monthly or $34.99/yr. When going through this process, the FCT auto-renews on your account.
    Last edited by Tony_Hilliam; August 22nd, 2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Is Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 "Early Access" - Pre-orders

At roughly $95 Aust a full blown game on disk the same as tane was
    with all the included new features ?

Can this boxed version shown be used the same way I use my current boxed version of tane now
    using my lifetime FCT
    Accessing the DLS when required without having anying to do with Monthly membership
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

The DVD version will be available when official release happens later in the year. It will operate in the same manner as TANE and yes, your FCT works just the same too.
    Tony Hilliam

United States of America, Fla., Spring Hill

So at 3.99 a month for 12 months does not come out at 34.99 a year. Looks like 47.88 to me if my math is correct.

Will be the September preorded a digital dl or only dvd box set delivering with post

Is Trainz becoming a yearly subscription game ? Much like ModelRailroader Magazine, as soon as you stop paying Kalmbach Publishing for a year subscription, and your yearly subscription runs out, the magazines stop coming ... In this case Trainz will stop functioning after 365 days ?

Blog Entries

Tony,
    The cost of a gold membership, as explained in post #12, looks attractive but that's only for the first year. New Trainz versions come out roughly every three years, or have done for TS12, TANE and TRS19, so the membership looks less attractive. Do you expect new features, if not new versions, to come out more frequently using this approach?

Paul

Default Does NVIDIA Turf Effects work on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Cayden View Post
    Does NVIDIA Turf Effects work on a Mac? My graphics card is a AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB.

If not, what other features of TRS19 are not Mac compatible?

Cayden

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I think not at the moment, and from my experience with SP2 , a unsupported nvidia card such as the GTX 970 just freezes TANE anyway when using the current Nvidia drivers ...... best avoid until the issue is sorted.

dangavel
    If NVIDIA Turf Effects does not work on a Mac how will this affect the appearance of routes that rely on NVIDIA Turf Effects?

Can this issue be sorted out in the future given that the turf effect relies on NVIDIA cards?

What other features of TRS19 do not work on a mac?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    Tony,
    The cost of a gold membership, as explained in post #12, looks attractive but that's only for the first year. New Trainz versions come out roughly every three years, or have done for TS12, TANE and TRS19, so the membership looks less attractive. Do you expect new features, if not new versions, to come out more frequently using this approach?

This is a superb question!!!

Ish

Tried to find this is the FAQ but either missed it or it isn't discussed: For those of us that purchased TANE on Steam, that have DLC on Steam that we purchased, how or will that DLC be available if we purchase through this offer or will be be restricted to just the Steam version of the game? If I purchase through this offer what benefit do I have to the Steam version?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Cayden View Post
    If NVIDIA Turf Effects does not work on a Mac how will this affect the appearance of routes that rely on NVIDIA Turf Effects?
    Simply put, it means that Turf Effects won't appear on the Mac. Other effect layers (eg. clutter) and other rendering features (pbr, parallax, etc.) will operate fine, so it's not like you're losing out on all the pretties, but it is a shame, and it's something that we'd like to resolve one way or another in the future.

Can this issue be sorted out in the future given that the turf effect relies on NVIDIA cards?
    To be clear: the feature does not rely on nVidia cards. It does require a high-performance gaming GPU, and it likely runs a little better on nVidia GPUs since it's optimised against their hardware, but it doesn't magically disable if you switch to a GPU from one of the other vendors.

The main issue is that TurfEffects is built on DirectX and so is not directly portable to the Mac. nVidia is reviewing their options here, and we'll continue to work with them on this. I can't really give any timelines or promises as to exactly what will eventuate, since it isn't 100% up to us, but suffice to say that as a long-time Mac user it's something that's dear to my heart also.

What other features of TRS19 do not work on a mac?
    TurfEffects is the only one that I can think of off-hand. Otherwise, the platform comparison looks much as it did for T:ANE.

As a final note, since Mac GPUs tend to be relatively underpowered for gaming, even if/when we deliver some form of TurfEffects for Mac, we can reasonably expect that a lot of Mac users won't want to switch it on.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by pcas1986 View Post
    I'll field this one. The short answer is "yes".

The retail-release development model isn't great for us or for the community. It's not like we stop work for "three years" and then suddenly do a few weeks work and release the results. Instead, we're constantly listening to what the community needs, developing new features, and then.. delaying their release until the next product. We can't simply release everything as a free patch, or we'd never make any money, but simply "holding on to what we've built", though necessary from a sales perspective, isn't something that we like to do as fans of the product.

With the subscription model, we are able to release features far more frequently. I won't go into specifics (that's Tony's prerogative) and I'm sure that part of this will come down to feedback from the community, but we're looking at smaller but much-more-frequent releases. Offering a hybrid subscription/retail model allows everyone to make their mind up about whether they prefer the old release model or the new one.

Of course, some features take much longer to develop than others. Support for parallax heightmaps took quite a while to get right, for example. In some cases, that may mean that we offer a technology preview to our users for early experimentation and feedback, rather than jumping straight to a finished, fully-polished release. For other features, it really is a case of spending a month developing and testing the feature and then it's ready for release.

I should probably add that comparing the cost of the Gold subscription straight across to the cost of the retail product is quite misleading; the Gold subscription includes a lot of other benefits which have to be purchased separately under the retail model. It's up to the individual user to decide whether those benefits are unnecessary inclusions, or a whether they amount to a massive increase in value.

chris

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post

Thanks Chris, that's the most interesting post I've read all morning. You answered some questions I thought about asking but didn't.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post

The retail-release development model isn't great for us or for the community. It's not like we stop work for "three years" and then suddenly do a few weeks work and release the results. Instead, we're constantly listening to what the community needs, developing new features, and then.. delaying their release until the next product. We can't simply release everything as a free patch, or we'd never make any money, but simply "holding on to what we've built", though necessary from a sales perspective, isn't something that we like to do as fans of the product.

With the subscription model, we are able to release features far more frequently. I won't go into specifics (that's Tony's prerogative) and I'm sure that part of this will come down to feedback from the community, but we're looking at smaller but much-more-frequent releases. Offering a hybrid subscription/retail model allows everyone to make their mind up about whether they prefer the old release model or the new one.

Of course, some features take much longer to develop than others. Support for parallax heightmaps took quite a while to get right, for example. In some cases, that may mean that we offer a technology preview to our users for early experimentation and feedback, rather than jumping straight to a finished, fully-polished release. For other features, it really is a case of spending a month developing and testing the feature and then it's ready for release.

I should probably add that comparing the cost of the Gold subscription straight across to the cost of the retail product is quite misleading; the Gold subscription includes a lot of other benefits which have to be purchased separately under the retail model. It's up to the individual user to decide whether those benefits are unnecessary inclusions, or a whether they amount to a massive increase in value.

chris
    1) If you opt for the boxed version do you get these new features as they come out or are you stuck with what you purchased ?
    2) Say in 24 mths TRS20 is advertised do we go through this whole process again or does the subscription carry on and get upgraded to the new game

CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

1) If you opt for the boxed version do you get these new features as they come out or are you stuck with what you purchased ?
    Gold Class members get membership benefits including the Trainz PLUS features. These are released throughout the life cycle of the product.

The boxed version will receive updates that fix existing functionality, but they do not receive all the new features.

2) Say in 24 mths TRS20 is advertised do we go through this whole process again or does the subscription carry on and get upgraded to the new game
    Gold Class members will have full access to the latest version of Trainz. There may be other tiers of subscriptions added at a later date with fewer or more features.
    Tony Hilliam