Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TRS19 - FAQ Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    Gold Class members get membership benefits including the Trainz PLUS features. These are released throughout the life cycle of the product.

The boxed version will receive updates that fix existing functionality, but they do not receive all the new features.
    An alternative way of looking at this:

* People purchasing the product one-off will get exactly what they normally get. Service packs are included free, which will likely introduce some minor improvements but are primarily about resolving compatibility issues and bugs. When we release the next product, these users will need to pay for that new product, at which point they'll receive a whole raft of new features.

* Gold Subscriptions members will receive more frequent updates, including all of the service pack changes plus additional new features. By the time we release the next major product, these users will already have the majority of the new features. Their subscription already covers access to the features, so they won't need to pay anything extra to receive them.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    Simply put, it means that Turf Effects won't appear on the Mac. Other effect layers (eg. clutter) and other rendering features (pbr, parallax, etc.) will operate fine, so it's not like you're losing out on all the pretties, but it is a shame, and it's something that we'd like to resolve one way or another in the future.

To be clear: the feature does not rely on nVidia cards. It does require a high-performance gaming GPU, and it likely runs a little better on nVidia GPUs since it's optimised against their hardware, but it doesn't magically disable if you switch to a GPU from one of the other vendors.

The main issue is that TurfEffects is built on DirectX and so is not directly portable to the Mac. nVidia is reviewing their options here, and we'll continue to work with them on this. I can't really give any timelines or promises as to exactly what will eventuate, since it isn't 100% up to us, but suffice to say that as a long-time Mac user it's something that's dear to my heart also.

TurfEffects is the only one that I can think of off-hand. Otherwise, the platform comparison looks much as it did for T:ANE.

As a final note, since Mac GPUs tend to be relatively underpowered for gaming, even if/when we deliver some form of TurfEffects for Mac, we can reasonably expect that a lot of Mac users won't want to switch it on.

chris
    I just got a RX 580 nitro 8gb and have 60fps on ultra settings- in high sierra running SP3. This is on a 2010 hex core mac pro, - which would have a degree of bottlenecking, a new iMac with the rx 580 8gb GPU should have a similar performance i would have thought. and if you have a Mac laptop with thunderbolt you can use the egpu external boxes to boost their performance.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Will my RailDriver work with it? Pob not since Tane SP3 nothing but problems
    Owner and operator of the Twin Peaks Timber Company
    If you don’t support logging, then try using plastic toilet paper 😆

More questions
    Do i understand this correctly
    Bloody US dollars ( why cant they convert )

Yearly Subscription

gold member $149.99/yr or AUST $205/yr
    Discount for LT FCT US$24
    so gold membership is apporx US$125.99/yr
    or in the land of OZ
    AUS $173/yr or AUS $14.4/mth
    and this is the lifetime subscription price

BTW Wil the amount deducted change with exchange rates ?

And what does access to Tane mean ( Get immediate access to Trainz A New Era. Access continues while you remain a member. ) if you already have it ?

Last edited by big_b; August 22nd, 2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added text
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

The Gold Subscription sounds like a great package, but for me it's financially a bit of a bite at least for now, but regarding this package, what's going to happen to the content on the DLS with disparate TRS2019 versions out there?

Right now T:ANE, like all other Trainz versions prior, is at a set version for the majority of the users that have fully upgraded to SP3. This means that if a content creator releases assets Build 4.6 or whatever the current build is for T:ANE, most people can download the asset easily.

Using your subscription model with many interim versions coming out, does that mean that there will be many, many different TRS2019 versions floating around out there?

If this is true, then there will be a lot of confused and frustrated users because content will not be downloadable into their version. We see this now with TS12 and below users, to a much lesser extent now, but this scenario will only get worse. In the end, this is basically forcing people to upgrade because we now have a moving target that some users will never be able to reach due to the versions forever moving ahead faster than they can upgrade.

Now what happens too if an asset shares the same build-number, but is created in a newer TRS2019 version? Do these assets error out, or do features get disabled?

If this isn't the case, we now have an even larger number of confused and frustrated users because their Content Manager downloads content that will not work unlike now where it will reject content that is newer than the Trainz version installed.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    I just got a RX 580 nitro 8gb and have 60fps on ultra settings- in high sierra running SP3.
    TRS19 with all settings fully maxed out is definitely more graphically demanding than the several-year old TANE.

That said, with this kind of rig it's quite likely that you would still get decent performance from TurfEffects - however you must admit that most Mac users are not currently on that kind of rig.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    Using your subscription model with many interim versions coming out, does that mean that there will be many, many different TRS2019 versions floating around out there?
    Not really. We typically provide forwards compatibility for new file formats up until the next product release and I don't see that changing.

For example, T:ANE has:
    * v3.9 (CE1)
    * v4.0 (CE1.1)
    * V4.1 (CE1.2)
    * V4.2 (TANE Retail)
    * V4.3 (TANE SP1)
    * V4.4 (TMR)
    * V4.5 (TANE SP2)

We're not hearing of many practical problems there. You obviously need to patch up to the latest service pack to maintain compatibility with the latest formats.

Now what happens too if an asset shares the same build-number, but is created in a newer TRS2019 version? Do these assets error out, or do features get disabled?
    In many cases the question is irrelevant. If we add a new Surveyor tool, then it matters not at all to somebody loading the route whether they have that tool or not.

Where there is an actual breaking file format change, we endeavour to bump the trainz-build number.

chris

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Not really. We typically provide forwards compatibility for new file formats up until the next product release and I don't see that changing.

For example, T:ANE has:
    * v3.9 (CE1)
    * v4.0 (CE1.1)
    * V4.1 (CE1.2)
    * V4.2 (TANE Retail)
    * V4.3 (TANE SP1)
    * V4.4 (TMR)
    * V4.5 (TANE SP2)

We're not hearing of many practical problems there. You obviously need to patch up to the latest service pack to maintain compatibility with the latest formats.

In many cases the question is irrelevant. If we add a new Surveyor tool, then it matters not at all to somebody loading the route whether they have that tool or not.

Where there is an actual breaking file format change, we endeavour to bump the trainz-build number.

chris
    Okay. Thanks that makes sense. Tools of course don't count, but underlying file compatibility does, which is what I'm concerned about.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    I am aware that some people don't like subscriptions. I am also aware that very early on day 1, many more people are purchasing the Gold Class option than the pre-order option (by a significant margin).

I posted in another thread, but it is worth copying here as well so that we're comparing apples with apples:

Traditional Store purchases:
    * TRS19 = $69.99
    * FCT = $34.99/yr
    * One DLC - Trainz Route: Coal Country = $39.99
    Total = $145

Gold Class Membership = $149
    * TRS19 included
    * FCT included
    * 75 DLC items included(worth hundreds of dollars)
    * Preview Pass included(to enjoy all new DLC items for 14 days per-release)
    * Trainz Plus included (access to new Trainz features before anyone else)
    * 25% discount code (save 25% off items even when they are already on sale)

and it still not true. When you cancel the sub you are left with nothing. You are not comparing apples to apples.

An alternative way of looking at this:

* People purchasing the product one-off will get exactly what they normally get. Service packs are included free, which will likely introduce some minor improvements but are primarily about resolving compatibility issues and bugs. When we release the next product, these users will need to pay for that new product, at which point they'll receive a whole raft of new features.

* Gold Subscriptions members will receive more frequent updates, including all of the service pack changes plus additional new features. By the time we release the next major product, these users will already have the majority of the new features. Their subscription already covers access to the features, so they won't need to pay anything extra to receive them.

chris
    Until you change the rules of the sub which you can do without consent from the costomer. You can make lots of promises now but are in no way obligated to deliver. Meanwhile raking in the money.

Before i decided what to buy i need to know:

1. Will be the 'September preorded' a digital download too or only dvd box set delivering with post
    2. When you cancel the sub you are left with nothing. Does it mean that TRS19 will not be possible to use without subscription

Will be possible export content directly from TS2009 to TRS19 (beyond the corresponding trainz-build number change)?

Thanks
    CPU: Intel I7 6700K
    Kingston ValueRAM 16GB Ram@2133MHz
    Gigabyte GeForce 1060 6GB OC
    Win10 64-bit Home and T:ANE SP3 Build 94808

Quote Originally Posted by Vals_Loeder View Post
    Until you change the rules of the sub which you can do without consent from the costomer. You can make lots of promises now but are in no way obligated to deliver. Meanwhile raking in the money.
    For sure. And all our users could cancel their subs, and we'd be left making nothing. Both sides can play that game, neither side has any incentive to do so.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by ajrf View Post
    Will be possible export content directly from TS2009 to TRS19 (beyond the corresponding trainz-build number change)?
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here, but TRS19 is still capable of using content dating back to the original Trainz release, assuming that content was constructed correctly in the first place. So yes, you can export your locally created TS2009 content and import it into TRS19. If you're dealing with third-party content, the best bet would be to grab it from the Download Station, as that will include the necessary source textures and is likely to include updates and fixes that have been made since 2009.

chris

Hi, I do have another question. If I get a gold subscription right now, and keep it till the final release of TRS19 (Q4 2018) and then cancel it to buy the release version, what will happen to my content, to the routes I'll be creating, what will happen to my save? Would I haveto start all over again?