NVidia Unveils RTX 20-series GPUs

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
NVidia has announced today their new RTX 20 series line of graphics cards.

It appears we have three options, the RTX 2070 Founders' Edition, which will start at $599, the RTX 2080 Founders' Edition, which will start at $799, and the RTX 2080Ti Founders' Edition, which will start at a staggering $1199.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/20/...-rtx-2080-specs-pricing-release-date-features

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/20/17760448/nvidia-rtx-prices-performance-ray-tracing

I wonder how long it will be before my GTX 1070 is obsolete?

Matt

Trying to understand nVidia’s nomenclature. Until now their cards were called GTX, but this new one is RTX. What do those terms mean? Will the GTX series continue even as the RTX series emerges, or will the GTX 1000 cards be the end of that line?

Just had an email from a UK supplier inviting me to pre-order, I think not prices are horrendous!
I'll have a look in 12 months time, I usually run 12 months behind on GPU's so not bothered yet.
Edit:
RTX stands for Raytracing.

Last edited:
Dinorius-Redundicus - The new RTX handle is for Ray Tracing - the Holy-Grail feat of generating real-time ray tracing computations for consumer-grade cards.
Very impressive - but so few games or applications support this right now - and those that do are unlikely to be of much interest to rail-simmers.

TRS2021 will probably support Ray Tracing, so there's no hurry to pay the exorbitant, gouge-pricing premiums that early-bird adopters will incur now.
My GTX 1070, which will celebrate its 2nd birthday at the end of this month, is still running brilliantly well for all current (and impending) Trainz versions, so I'll cheerfully wait to upgrade until next year, when the prices have all come down a good deal and all of the independent reviews have been absorbed and understood.

I just took delivery today of a Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080 TI, good price from the PC shop round the corner, so not about to be upgrading anything else yet.

Can't see game creators rushing to use raytracing unless they stop supporting AMD cards!

@ PC_Ace; Thanks for that info. My card is “only” a GTX 980Ti and also has no trouble with latest games, so I’m not in a hurry to upgrade either.

Dinorius-Redundicus - The new RTX handle is for Ray Tracing - the Holy-Grail feat of generating real-time ray tracing computations for consumer-grade cards.
Very impressive - but so few games or applications support this right now - and those that do are unlikely to be of much interest to rail-simmers.

TRS2021 will probably support Ray Tracing, so there's no hurry to pay the exorbitant, gouge-pricing premiums that early-bird adopters will incur now.
My GTX 1070, which will celebrate its 2nd birthday at the end of this month, is still running brilliantly well for all current (and impending) Trainz versions, so I'll cheerfully wait to upgrade until next year, when the prices have all come down a good deal and all of the independent reviews have been absorbed and understood.

Thanks Ace --

Like my dear net-friend DR I was wondering the same thing... RTX? -- Thanks for the info, sir!

Take Care
Ish

@ PC_Ace; Thanks for that info. My card is “only” a GTX 980Ti and also has no trouble with latest games, so I’m not in a hurry to upgrade either.

I am. My GTX780 is slowing to a crawl in Substance Designer and Substance Painter. Those are the tools I plan to use for TRS19 content.

I shall read the links in the original post with interest.

The cinematic video in the second link was impressive. I wonder how long it took to model all that.

But, the telling article is in the last link and NVidia's failure to demonstrate apples to applies. i.e. the demo just focused on RTX so you may be buying technology you can't use - at least for Trainz for the time being. So I agree with PC_Ace and others on this.

I'm sure someone will come out with comparison statistics that give us a better idea of how well the new cards compare with the GTX1080Ti as an example.

But wouldn't it be cool to have Trainz graphics as good as that video. :udrool:

pcas1986 - the eventual arrival of these new cards will have a big impact on the price of the 10-series (Pascal) cards, which are still very potent performers - and easily outclass top-end 7-series cards.
Reckon it won't be until about October, or November even, before all the independent reviews are out, and pricing - and ready supply - settles for 20-series cards in the retail channels.
Can you hang on until then?
Now that the crypto-currency boom has bust, there will also be heaps of 2nd-hand GPUs crowding the market as well. (Personally wouldn't buy one of these, but some will...)
Bodes well for those who are patient for just a little bit longer...

A follow up question about RTX cards. Will the ability of such cards to do real-time ray tracing mean that we don’t need to do it as part of the 3D modelling/texturing process? If so, bring it on, because I have never got my head around rendering etc.

I was going to say the same that PC_Ace said. This is good for us that have "older" cards with the attributable quotes for older because that technology was the super fast thing a short time ago. I just got my GTX1080Ti last year when my GTX780Ti wasn't doing well and was just out of warranty.

The problem is these new cards now have nothing written for them to speak of on the consumer end. If someone is a 3d-artist rendering real time scenes with full ray-tracing, this might be suitable, wouldn't they want the CAD version of this card such as a Quadro-something for $8000 because the card will do this and then some as the Quadro series does.

The other thing too that will happen is when the consumer programs finally come out, they will take these super-fast video cards and beat them down so their apparent speed is no more than what we get out of a GTX1080Ti anyway. This is not unlike the latest operating systems making the fastest processors seem no faster than a '486 by the time they get done loading on all the garbage that comes with the OS now.

If the new video cards offered some truly super-extra performance at a reasonable cost with lots of power savings, all with gobs of memory, on top of the ray-tracing, it might be worthwhile. But I see this as a gamer's bragging rights hardware, which they'll purchase with daddy's Amex card. In fact they'll buy three or four of them to overclock and water cool because they want to get that extra 2 fps out of the card than spec'd.

A follow up question about RTX cards. Will the ability of such cards to do real-time ray tracing mean that we don’t need to do it as part of the 3D modelling/texturing process? If so, bring it on, because I have never got my head around rendering etc.

Your 3d-modeling program will need to support this natively most likely, meaning the program will have to talk to the NVidia card through some special drivers just like N3V needed to put in the hardware drivers for the new Turf-FX and Clutter-FX stuff in TRS19.

You will also still have to do the fancy scene rendering setup in order to achieve the lighting you want anyway.

Whilst it may take many months - even a year or so - for most programs/ games to take full advantage of the real-time ray tracing capabilities of these new cards - one very positive leap forward that they bring today is the extra bandwidth/ memory throughput offered by the new GDDR6 memory these cards ship with. This constitutes a significant improvement over GDDR5 speeds.
The 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti also have big increases in CUDA core counts as well, so they will easily outclass their 10-series predecessors in conventional graphics processing tasks/ games by margins of 40 to 50% in some cases.
It's not like I don't want one of these cards - I really do (want the latest and greatest) - but as stated earlier, I'm not prepared to pay the high-cost penalty for early adoption, even if I could get my hands on one of these impressive beasts today.

Whilst it may take many months - even a year or so - for most programs/ games to take full advantage of the real-time ray tracing capabilities of these new cards - one very positive leap forward that they bring today is the extra bandwidth/ memory throughput offered by the new GDDR6 memory these cards ship with. This constitutes a significant improvement over GDDR5 speeds.
The 2070, 2080 and 2080Ti also have big increases in CUDA core counts as well, so they will easily outclass their 10-series predecessors in conventional graphics processing tasks/ games by margins of 40 to 50% in some cases.
It's not like I don't want one of these cards - I really do (want the latest and greatest) - but as stated earlier, I'm not prepared to pay the high-cost penalty for early adoption, even if I could get my hands on one of these impressive beasts today.

I feel the same way about the pricing. Wait, wait, and wait, besides, it's better to wait anyway because the later versions will be more stable due to the dye processing being perfected. This is the same with CPUs the later generations of the same chips are far more stable because the processing is better, and with overclocking capabilities with the hardware these chips will handle more bandwidth before crashing.

Let all the gamers that live in their parent's basement and spend their parent's money blow up a few first editions before the cards come down to a reasonable price that we can all afford, and we'll also get the most stable ones at that just before the RTX3000 or 4000 series cards come out.

At the moment though, I'm still loving my GTX1080Ti I got last year. It's still got plenty of life in it and I've finally paid it off so I won't be upgrading anything anytime soon.

pcas1986 - the eventual arrival of these new cards will have a big impact on the price of the 10-series (Pascal) cards, which are still very potent performers - and easily outclass top-end 7-series cards.
Reckon it won't be until about October, or November even, before all the independent reviews are out, and pricing - and ready supply - settles for 20-series cards in the retail channels.
Can you hang on until then?

I was going to buy a 1080Ti, and there are a few varieties of those, but I can wait - at least until Christmas! I still haven't made up my mind about the GPU and chipset but I'll probably stick with Intel.

I would hope it would be part of the application software rather than anything a content creator would need to do. That said, the graphics in the cinematic video look very much like PBR using the plastic and metal looks. So you would still need to create the necessary PBR textures.

Wow. Now the NVIDIA RTX GPU's will be a dream GPU compared to my GT 710 2GB in my windows 7 PC... Now,only if the cards would work in the windows 7 PC... and due to the fact that it's a HP computer,it likely has a custom sized PSU,which means I might not be able to upgrade the PSU,which means I have limited GPU upgrade options... and even if I could upgrade the GPU to the RTX GPU's,I would end up with a GPU much better that the CPU...:hehe:

And besides,I think HP was known for making computers with custom sized parts...

Wow. Now the NVIDIA RTX GPU's will be a dream GPU compared to my GT 710 2GB in my windows 7 PC... Now,only if the cards would work in the windows 7 PC... and due to the fact that it's a HP computer,it likely has a custom sized PSU,which means I might not be able to upgrade the PSU,which means I have limited GPU upgrade options... and even if I could upgrade the GPU to the RTX GPU's,I would end up with a GPU much better that the CPU...:hehe:

And besides,I think HP was known for making computers with custom sized parts...

The really interesting card will be the RTX 1050 TI.

Cheerio John

The really interesting card will be the RTX 1050 TI.

Cheerio John

Will it be a GTX 2050 Ti, or RTX 2050Ti ? Anyway, I agree with your sentiment. For the money the current GTX 1050 TI runs TANE surprisingly well, with pretty low power demands.

Phil.

Last edited:
Back