Bought a new computer today

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
First post in this panel for me. I took the information given for TRS 2019 in the Trainz Portal for Ultra Settings and went shopping. I ended up with a Powerspec G701 Desktop.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro (no surprise there)
MOBO: ASUS PrimeB350-Plus
PSU: 600W
Chipset: AMD B350
CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 1700 (3.0Ghz, 8-core, Ryzen 7)
RAM: 16Gb DDR4-2133
HDD: WD 2Tb
SSD: 480Gb
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 (8GB RAM)
Gigabit LAN/WIFI
All sorts of bays & slots for more goodies.

I also bought a 27" Dell monitor (1920x1080, HDMI)

The salesperson and I concluded that the GTX1070 with 8GB of RAM would be so close in performance to the GTX 1070-Ti with 4GB I couldn't justify the price difference.

Now, my question:

I downloaded the installer for T:ANE-SP3 (I've upgraded to SP3 on my other installation). If I simply let the installer do it's magic and install a clean T:ANE all I have to do to transfer all my data to the new install is move it to the new drive and alter the "where the build is hidings" text file to point to it. Is this correct? I am also assuming I use the same keycode I used for the original intall on the new install. I only have to make sure I don't run both at the same time. Right?

Of course, I'll be doing a lot to get rid of the pre-installed junk that comes with a new computer before I actually move the game.

Anyone see any hangpups I should avoid?

Bill

Last edited:
Bill - What a difference that new spec will make to your Trainzing experience!
You have a powerful CPU and GPU there with just the right amount of RAM and a new SSD.
You're going to need a hair-net and some aviation goggles, it'll be so fast compared to your previous build!

First; Make sure that your old version of T:ANE is up to date and running well.
Then simply COPY the program files and folders over to a new TANE folder on the SSD of the new computer and place your Userdata folders and all their contents from the old computer into a new subdirectory of T:ANE on the new machine.
Again, these can simply be copied over, without the need to reinstall.
Once completed, before firing up the game, go through the Trainz Settings dialogs on the Launcher and insert your login ID and credentials there. If you have the offline DRM-free version, insert the Serial Number when prompted.
Make sure that the path to your new location for your Userdata folders is specified correctly on the Install tab.
Set the Display Device target to your new Dell monitor with the right resolution and refresh-rate values.

Send a shortcut copy of the TANE executable to the Taskbar as a startup icon and then fire it up and enjoy!

Last edited:
Too late to tell you this, but, if you waited, the RTX 2070 would be 40% better than what you just bought, about same price.

How much did that cost you Bill, (computer only, not including the monitor)? Just want to compare US prices with Australian prices and factor in the weaker Aussie dollar.

Too late to tell you this, but, if you waited, the RTX 2070 would be 40% better than what you just bought, about same price.

The salesperson mentioned it, but the money was available now. It might not have been "soon" (tm) :hehe:

Bill

@PCAce: Thanks for that. I've printed out your post so I'll have a guide. Must faster than I'd planned (except for the file copy, which will be horriblely long).

Deane: The computer itself was US$1000, monitor US$150, 2TB HDD US$80, and a 3-year warranty for US$180.

Bill

Wow, that's cheap. You did well.

Those are U.S. dollars. Add at least 50% for us ex convicts in the colonies. My wife found something she wanted to buy from Amazon in the U.S. and was quoted $US200 and free shipping. But they won't ship to Australia because we have our own Amazon now. The cost in in Australia for the same item was $400 so she didn't buy it.

Hi Bill --
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Congratulations[/FONT], sir on your new powerful purchase!
Take Care
Ish

Those are U.S. dollars. Add at least 50% for us ex convicts in the colonies. My wife found something she wanted to buy from Amazon in the U.S. and was quoted $US200 and free shipping. But they won't ship to Australia because we have our own Amazon now. The cost in in Australia for the same item was $400 so she didn't buy it.

As an author I am very angry with Amazon because of their ridiculous shipping policy. Basically it has to do with Australia wanting Amazon to collect VAT for them. My books can only be sold as an eBook because Australia doesn't have a "on-demand" printing for paperbacks.

Even after converting to Aus dollars, it’s cheap. Either they are spoiled over there, or we are being gouged.

I'd say you were being gouged. To be fair, the box itself was base-priced at US$1250, but for this week they were discounting it to a grand. I suspect they were making room for computers with the latest NVIDIA offering of the 2000-series cards.

Bill

I am also assuming I have to install DX9c and the MSVisualC package to make TRS2012 happy, even on WIndows 10.

Bill

I knew this wasn't going to be as easy as it sounded. Now I have something incompatible in the networking between my Windows 7 machine and my new Windows 10 machine. Win10 can 'see' my Win7 machines and shared folders, but NONE of the Win7 machines can 'see' the Win10 machhine, or the shared folders. I have tried everyhting trick I know of to figure out why this is happening. WOrkgroups was done away with in Win10, so I'm leaning in this direction. What is really frustrating is I can map a Win10 shared folder into my Win7 machine, give it a drive letter, and transfer files, but I cannot see the Win10 machine in the Newtork panel. Dang, I hate Windoze.

What really grinds my gears is I spent 5 hours last night copying TANE and TS2012 to the new 2TB drive intended for the Win10 mahcine. When I disconnected it from Win7 and put it in WIn10, the stupid Win10 machine told me it had to be formatted before it could be used. Does Win10 use something other than NTFS?

Bill

Last edited:
I knew this wasn't going to be as easy as it sounded. Now I have something incompatible in the networking between my Windows 7 machine and my new Windows 10 machine. Win10 can 'see' my Win7 machines and shared folders, but NONE of the Win7 machines can 'see' the Win10 machhine, or the shared folders. I have tried everyhting trick I know of to figure out why this is happening. WOrkgroups was done away with in Win10, so I'm leaning in this direction. What is really frustrating is I can map a Win10 shared folder into my Win7 machine, give it a drive letter, and transfer files, but I cannot see the Win10 machine in the Newtork panel. Dang, I hate Windoze.

What really grinds my gears is I spent 5 hours last night copying TANE and TS2012 to the new 2TB drive intended for the Win10 mahcine. When I disconnected it from Win7 and put it in WIn10, the stupid Win10 machine told me it had to be formatted before it could be used. Does Win10 use something other than NTFS?

Bill

Check your services for Function Discovery Resource Publication and Function Discovery Provider host, they should be running however MS seems to have forgot! Need to be automatic delayed start.
You should then be able to see the other PC, however you may have intermittent connection problem, this can be solved by disabling IPV6 in the lan settings or if you need it, then use Prefer IPV4 over IPV6. instructions here https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...onfiguring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users moving on if still having problems MS have killed off SMB1which you may need, in which case you can enable it again in control panel, programs and features, just enable the smb1 client, not the server which is risky.
Get about three posts a day on Ten Forums re broken networking, don't you just love Microsoft.

Edit: Workgroups are alive and well in Win10, it's that Homegroup thingy rubbish that's been killed off.

Last edited:
You are definitely the man, Malc. On the WIndows 10 computer, the first service was manual (but running), the second was manual and NOT running. As soon as I restarted vboth of them (and set them to Automatic-delayed start) the WIndows 10 computer appeared in both WIndows 7 machines.

Tha's going down in my little "I hate Microsoft and this is how fo fix their errors" book.

Bill

Hmm. I certainly hope that TANE runs better than TRS2012 does. My old system seems to run 2012 better than my new system. It takes longer to load a route, jumps and lags everywhere, and can barely show any terrain without it fading into view and back out again. I tried running a train and the was so laggy in populated areas I just exited out.

There's GOT to be something that isn't right. I didn't put 2012 on the SSD because I didn't want it to be overcrowded, but I never expected an internal HDD to be so slow, considering the computing power surrounding it.

Bill

Did you exclude the folders from your antivirus program real-time scanning? That can kill TS12 dead cold, and T:ANE as well.

Did you exclude the folders from your antivirus program real-time scanning? That can kill TS12 dead cold, and T:ANE as well.

I haven't added A/V or A/M as of yet and only using Windows Defender built in to Win10. If there is a way to stop it from scanning files/folders, I haven't found it yet.This is my first big exposure to Win10.

Could be slow on first use as TS12 assembles its database and cache files?

I ran a QDR (I wonder why they call it "quick" since it took 3.5 hours). There was a noticeable increase in speed/performance when it completed.

Today, I'm going to set up and give TANE a try.

Bill

Bill, Windows Defender Security Centre, it's in the start menu under W, open and Scroll down to Exclusions.

There are numerous way of getting to it, above is probably simpler, most settings can be got at by clicking the Notification icon bottom right on Taskbar.

Back