How fast can MOW trucks travel on American standard-gauge roads?

JonMyrlennBailey

I think most American speeders such as the Fairmont had a top speed of 20 mph.

Speed might be governed by the mechanical limits of the on-rail vehicle, the posted RR speed limit or by RR safety regulations.

In trains both speeders and MOW truck engines can travel whatever the speed limit is set for the line.

They can go as fast as "regular trains" depending on the situation or signal status.

Horse-drawn wagons (engines) in Trainz are mechanically limited to 8 mph and the handcar "engine" can hit up to 10 mph on a downgrade and a tail wind, I believe.

I don't think there are any special AI rules which can restrict rail vehicle speeds on the basis of engine type: locomotive, railed maintenance truck, speeder, etc.

If my line has a posted 60 mph, my BN speeder and Amtrak MOW truck will hit that speed if the conditions are right.

Last edited:
I have seen them go pretty darn fast in order to get in the clear of an oncoming freight, and I would think that the small wheels would derail if they went too fast, as they go clicking along sounding as if they will derail at any second, over 45 mph

Back