Mars, Mars, and more Mars.

Cactushead

ish6 & everybody else/Marsz route update

Well, I can't believe all the stuff that's been created for Mars. My route is coming along fine. In fact, I have one session completed. I just need to decorate it. Ish, I'm having trouble going thru those six thousand + downloads to get the kuids you need, so here's a quick way. The locomotives in question r the HST and the Tiberium. However, the last time I tried them, they seem to work a lot better. The three road switchers, the two MLE?? and the MML work great, and the cab view is excellent. So is the horn and bell. Those three r going to get used a lot. From the sound, I'm going to guess that the horn and bell came from the Aerotrain.
Ish, or whoever. I really, really need cab views and horns and bells for the HST and the Tiberium. Please don't use off the shelf cab views. Make them fit the windows on the locomotive. U can't imagine how grateful I would b if someone would do that. Oh, and use the horn and bells that r on the three road switchers. Thank u so much. This means a lot to me.
Cactushead.
Mars (New Eden) forever.

It would be great if you could get DEMs by now. I can imagine going from Olympus Mons through the Valles Marineris, or from Hellas Planitia to Argyre Planitia. Of course those are planetary scales so it would probably be way too many baseboards! LOL! Looking forward to seeing your route Cactushead, there's potential for so much creativity here. Even the four levels of Kim Stanley Robinsons' Mars Trilogy!

There are moon/mars/marz maps/layouts ... if a DEM was made of certain parts of mars, craters, volcanos, and the mountains would far exceed the -3000m/+3000m heights of trainz terrain ... it's not the place you'd want to raise your kids, +400 F in the sun, -400 F in the shade, storms lasting for decades ... nearest Shoprite, Walmart, or Wawa: 33.9 million miles (54.6 million kilometers) "Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet, how bout' now" ? The journey from Earth to Mars takes about 300 days

Last edited:
Hi guys, I''m Back

I know, big flopping deal. :). Anyway, here's an update on my Mars layout. A lot of u have asked for pics. I'm still working on that. B patient, it will happen. Some day. I know that my i-phone camera will let me put pics on my Facebook page, but that thing is such a mess, I want to delete it and start over, but I haven't been able to find out how to to that. Maybe I can just start another one under another name. Anyway, one, I got hit with both a chest cold and a head cold at the same time. Spent some time n the hospital. But the main reason I was gone so long was I just couldn't come up with a good pattern for my Alpha Base, also known as New Eden. And because I had already painted the boards, all I could do was delete the route and start over again. Well, I finally came up with the perfect design. It took a square of six x six square of boards, but New Eden is done. I am currently running 'legs' going NSEW, one board wide to different bases and manufacturing facilities. I really like to test my abilaties on switching moves.
Okay, that about does it, but before I go, I want to thank all of u for those neat Mars trains and objects. I have been interested in Mars ever since I was a kid. The sad thing is, at 76 years old, I'll never get to go there, but thanks to u guys, I can pretend. Thanks to u all for yor work.
Cactushead.
P.S. Once again, I really really need a cab view for my Tiberium passenger train, with horn and bell. From the Aerotrain. Make the windows fit the outside view, and don't make the horn a sustained toot. I'll need it to sound only as long as I hold the 'H' key. That way I can blow for crossings. Yes. I will have crossings for my Rovers. I will have nothing but praises for the guy or gal who will do this for me.
TTFN and TIA. Mars forever, Cactushead.

Sadly the newest Mars lander has recorded the previously unheard Martian wind ... Guess what ? It sounds exactly just like howling Earth wind, (much like the Trainz tree: Cedar w/sound) only hundreds of mph, and dust storms that last for several decades long

It's now been more than two months since NASA's long-lived Opportunity Mars rover last phoned home. Opportunity hasn't made a peep since June 10, when dust in the Red Planet's air got so thick that the solar-powered rover couldn't recharge its batteries. Aug 17, 2018

There have been four successful robotically operated Mars rovers. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory managed the Mars Pathfinder mission and its now inactive Sojourner rover.

science-lake-mars-astrophysicist-scientist-planet-llan1742_low.jpg

Last edited:
Mars (New Eden) Update

Well, here I am once again. The reason I haven't been here for a while is I couldn't get my lay out right. But now it is. N fact, I'm surprised how well it came together. A word of warning. Go easy on the splines. Those things go thru memory like Wimpy goes thru hamburgers. I was laying down a cornfield spline under the large green house, and got maybe twenty rows when the computer quit drawing and most of my layout disappeared. I got out and accessed 'control panel', and got a huge shock. When I bot this Lenovo all n one, I was told it had a one terebyte of memory. Liars! The hard drive has a terebyte of disk space. I only have 8 gigs of memory. Time for an upgrade, I think. Anyway, I took out all of the cornfield splines, and got things working again. I just had to paint n some crops. So, anyway, Alpha base is done, and my "Ethanol run" is also. finished. It takes about two hours to take empties out, switch them out for the loads, and run back to the main terminal. At least the women r safe for a couple of hours. :D
As to the pics, I'm still working on that. Also, once again, cab view for the Tiberium passenger train. Windows to match the outside view, and I changed my mind on the horn. Get me a Leslie 5 chime. No sustained toot. Horn sounds only when I press the "H" key. That way I can blow crossings, dash dash dot dash. Bell should sound loud and ringing, not like someone is hitting an anvil with a sledge hammer. Believe me, some of my locomotives bells, that's exactly what they sound like.
So anyhoo, that's where it stands now. I'll keep ya'all updated. Now, back to work.
Cactushead.

It's all about Mars.

Hello fellow Martians. No I haven't seen "Uncle Martin yet. Anyway three things. Number one is one I would appreciate info on, the other two r just FYI.
First, on the Mars Module-Midland station, that ground cover is just what I need. If someone knows where it is on the DLS, would u be so kind as to share it? TIA.
FYI#1 Fun with rocks and blocks. The other day I was working on my route so long I got a little silly. I came up with the idea of taking my Martian rocks and blocks and creating sculptures with them. Stuff like stacking rocks on top of one another, balancing some to make them look like they're about to fall off and wreck the train, etc etc.
FYI#2 I just got fed up with not having control over the speed of my trains, I deleted all my routes, ( I kept my base) and I'm rebuilding them using Auran track 1 b1. And I'm going to run Earth trains, where I have more speed control. Passenger trains of course are pressurized, as r the locomotives on the freight cars, so no problem there. Maybe some day I'll get it looking as good as Midland Station. Anyway, that's all for now. Back to the work site. TTFN
Cactushead.

;) Mars Routes are way above my Pay Grade for now, I think I prefer staying on Earth a bit longer.

Sorry to hear about your speed issues,

Sometimes you have to throw stuff out, to get a refreshing View and hope this time around it works better for ya! Been there and done that quite a few times myself, so I can feel your pain for sure.

Just remember this, practice makes for more perfection, just think it over a night's sleep, (the pause that refreshes come to mind) and you probably have things coming your way...........:wave:

When I first started out in Trainz, I downloaded all the Moon & Mars routes ... It was great fun, with all the huge terrain heights, spooky skies, odd lighting, and eerie wind

Last edited:
FYI#2 I just got fed up with not having control over the speed of my trains, I deleted all my routes, ( I kept my base) and I'm rebuilding them using Auran track 1 b1. And I'm going to run Earth trains, where I have more speed control. Passenger trains of course are pressurized, as r the locomotives on the freight cars, so no problem there. Maybe some day I'll get it looking as good as Midland Station. Anyway, that's all for now. Back to the work site. TTFN
Cactushead.

Cactushead
The speed of a train is controlled by 'YOU'. The locomotives created by Ish6 all have enginespecs - the enginespec is designed to give you the user as realistic experience when driving.
So I have a real problem understanding your issue with 'speed' - speed can also be controlled by 'speedsigns' placed on trackside. Hope this helps.

Hay there folks

Time for another Marsz update. I've got the Ethanol run finished, but I"m not really ready to start saving sessions yet. Not until I have finished the other three legs. The one I'm working on now is a run out to the super secret science center. U can tell it's secret by all the quad mounted plasma laser cannons all over the place. :D Also, I''m running into a problem trying to set up a facebook page just for the Mars layout. It seems it doesn't like the fact I've already got one up there. But I'll figure it out eventually.
P.S. The one I've got up there now is such a mess, if I can find a way to delete it, I will.
TTFN Cactushead

Where to start and what to say. I've been laid up for a while with a serious case of bladder infection, but I'm getting over it now. At least it slowed me down enuff to think about what I'm doing. The city is built, the yard is built, the storage barns are built, now I just have to come up with places to put the cars u have picked out. And a set of rules wouldn't hurt. I am working on one industry called the Ethanol Plant. Only problem is, it's only an 11 minute drive from the terminal, so I'm going to have to move it back aways. I would really like the drive times to b not less than an hour, one way. But, unless I can come up with some scenery ideas, that would b pretty boring, but Mars is not a very scenic place to b truthful. Maybe some rock formations from an unknown planet. Wait a minute! From what we've seen of the planet Vulcan, it looks like it mite have some interesting rock formations. Maybe the Klingons and Cardasians would sell me some of their rocks, who knows. Or, I could take my Star Freighter and pull some of those asteroids out of the belt that has a lot of water, bring them to Mars and make some rivers. Nah, I'm getting ridiculous now. I'll figure something out. I'm not giving up on this. I really believe this could work. And speaking of work, I should get back to it.
TTFN Cactushead.

Well, looks like I blew it.

My apologies to all. I didn't realize I already had a post called "Mars, mars, and more Mars" so nobody probably got to read it, so here's my latest update on my Mars route. i thot I had the Ethanol run finished. Until I checked it out, and the run time was only 11 minutes from point to point. That's not enuff time to get into it, so I added more boards and right now I'm moving the plant out for more run time. Question: n your opinions, what would be a decent run time from point to point? I was thinking one hour, but that might b a bit much. Plus, scenery is the wall I keep running into, and Mars doesn't have much n the way of scenery to begin with. Don't b surprised if u c some strange rock formations.:D Well, I guess I'd better get back to it.
TTFN cactushead.

Back