TRS19 - Early Access Is Coming!

@JCitron, let me begin by saying you are probably my favorite member on this forum, a wealth of useful information and always of help. .

Hi Again, sir

I seem to agree with your post again, as John, as well as Malc, Martin, Shane, Heinz (Butler57) Manuel (Manweb), Ian (Vulcan) among others are the best in their perspective fields; And passed one's that I missed a lot: Ben Dorsey and Hertbert! Super creators!

Ish :)

N3V went the locked DLC route when it was found that some users in some countries were freely distributing content. There was a case in fact where one user named Anna came in the forums here and bragged about how the product was handed out at some train station the that country where she lived, and some users in that country had modified the program by adding all kinds of "extra" stuff. She went on to say that, oh by the way, we've also hacked in and scoffed the complete FTP-accessible DLS and have our own copy. It was then that there were changes made to built-in routes and the idea spread on to DLC packages for sale, and the DLS was no longer available via an FTP client and only through the DLS online.

In this version, we can actually edit the built-in and DLC routes if we want, but we can't upload them so some progress was made on that front because we asked for that when the routes became locked in TS12 SP1 HF4.

The excuse at the time was the CO17 loco being illegally redistributed, including to the DLS, although the DLC system as we know it today was already well into the development stage by that time. It would have happened anyway.

However, removing a feature and then re-introducing it is neither an improvement nor progress. If anything, it's an excellent reason to avoid new products and services so that it doesn't happen again.

I have no idea where that gem comes from. :) I guess I should consider it a compliment, in the sense that we've done a good job of supporting the older content. ...but on that note i'll just point at the TRS19 screenshots that users are posting on these forums, and invite people to try and get anywhere close using Jet.

There were plenty of posts debating this when T:ANE was released, not sure why you're acting like it's your first time hearing such. I'm not saying the claims were valid or not. The 64-bit change was a big deal along with other changes, but sacrifices to advancement had to be made to keep high backwards compatibility all the way back to the original Trainz, whose assets I definitely don't want anywhere near a route in 2019.

I never understood the TS12>TANE (inevitable TANE>TRS19) comments as TANE is definitely better than TS12 which was sluggish, had a low draw distance, etc, but TS12 is still perfectly capable of producing some really nice screenshots. It all comes down to the content used.

You keep talking about this as if we're going to expend resources toward a future product, merely because Gold Class exists. Let me assure you that we would be doing the same thing if Gold Class did not exist, because if we never released another product then we would eventually go out of business. After TRS2010 was released, we worked on TS12. After TS12 was released, we worked on TANE. After TANE was released, we worked on TRS19. It doesn't require Gold Class to guess that we're going to be working on another product after TRS19.

chris

That's not what I'm saying at all. Of course you are going to work on future releases??? I believe it was Tony who had a post, may have been discussing Trainz Plus or something else, which contained the term TRS20, not TRS20-something, 19+1=20. Perhaps it was a misuse of words, but I was saying that imho Trainz isn't a product suitable to a yearly main-release cycle. Maybe for users who just drive routes or look at shiny new locos, but not those whose main enjoyment comes from Surveyor.

My point was it will definitely cause a ruckus when you begin releasing new Trainz Plus features which will only be available to users who pay more, monthly. It sounds like they will be items such as what the Trainz Dev group have dealt with privately during TANE, except available publicly and shutting users out who aren't willing to pay to use them. That's a big difference.

Also, I'm just providing my thoughts of TRS19 plans and the future of Trainz. That's not being argumentative, it's simply user feedback.

Last edited:
That's not what I'm saying at all. Of course you are going to work on future releases??? I believe it was Tony who had a post, may have been discussing Trainz Plus or something else, which contained the term TRS20, not TRS20-something, 19+1=20. Perhaps it was a misuse of words, but I was saying that imho Trainz isn't a product suitable to a yearly main-release cycle. Maybe for users who just drive routes or look at shiny new locos, but not those whose main enjoyment comes from Surveyor.

My point was it will definitely cause a ruckus when you begin releasing new Trainz Plus features which will only be available to users who pay more, monthly. It sounds like they will be items such as what the Trainz Dev group have dealt with privately during TANE, except available publicly and shutting users out who aren't willing to pay to use them. That's a big difference.

I agree. It takes such a long time to develop a decent layout - my last one was started in TS12 and was finished in TANE SP2, about 6-7 years of work including significant time in developing 13 sessions. The transition from TS12 to TANE was not difficult as virtually all of the interface was the same. I had to replace all the SpeedTrees but the new ones were, IMHO, better than the old. Some new features, specifically the Navigation Points, were a bonus and I was able to incorporate them into the sessions but they did significantly increase the session development time. A new version with new features every year could prove to slow down (and even discourage) a large development. A new release every 2-3 years is much more acceptable.

Trainz Plus, as I understand it, will add new Surveyor and CM features and not new types of assets so compatibility with non Gold TRS19 users will/should not be an issue. But having to learn new tools every few months is not always as simple as it may sound. Of course, a Gold sub content developer may choose to stick with the tools that came with the original release but that begs the question why? No doubt some will relish the opportunity to try new features and tools on a regular basis.

But at least each person has the choice to select what meets their needs.

I agree. It takes such a long time to develop a decent layout - my last one was started in TS12 and was finished in TANE SP2, about 6-7 years of work including significant time in developing 13 sessions. The transition from TS12 to TANE was not difficult as virtually all of the interface was the same. I had to replace all the SpeedTrees but the new ones were, IMHO, better than the old.

I keep telling myself there will come a day when I get those darn old SpeedTrees replaced in all my routes-of-interest and get rid of TS12! Perhaps that can be completed before the full-release of '19. I have an extreme case of analysis paralysis (a term I saw in a Model Railroader book, I believe), but hope to get a new route or two started in this new version.

There were plenty of posts debating this when T:ANE was released, not sure why you're acting like it's your first time hearing such.

Of course not, but i would have thought it was pretty thoroughly demonstrated false at this point, even if you don’t want to take the word of the people who made it happen.

I'm not saying the claims were valid or not. The 64-bit change was a big deal along with other changes, but sacrifices to advancement had to be made to keep high backwards compatibility all the way back to the original Trainz, whose assets I definitely don't want anywhere near a route in 2019.

There are definitely pros and cons. I don’t agree that simply ditching older content would make our users happy, but it’s true that some of the older content hasn’t stood up to the test of time. It’s also true that supporting older content is an ongoing cost for us. But the alternative- dumping all of the DLS content and every route that people at home are working on- isn’t really what we’re about.

which contained the term TRS20, not TRS20-something, 19+1=20. Perhaps it was a misuse of words, but I was saying that imho Trainz isn't a product suitable to a yearly main-release cycle.

Yep, you’re definitely reading too much into that. Again, check back over our release history.

chris

... It sounds like they will be items such as what the Trainz Dev group have dealt with privately during TANE, except available publicly and shutting users out who aren't willing to pay to use them. ....

TrainzDev was never private, you could see what we were talking about and members were encouraged to discuss new aspects with the wider community. Neither was it an elite club but rather consisted of Trainz users who were identified as having some expertise in aspects of using Trainz. We learned rather quickly that it needed to include route builders and not just asset creators.

Based on what I know, Trainz Plus is definitely not TrainzDev.

I moved my user data folder to my external hard drive for TRS 2019 and it is in a folder called N3V games and I moved it because it didn't want to waste hard drive space on my C drive

I moved my user data folder to my external hard drive for TRS 2019 and it is in a folder called N3V games and I moved it because it didn't want to waste hard drive space on my C drive
These things always come with a trade off, you'll now have slower access times when assets are called on in a route. The performance difference should be quite noticeable if the external drive is a USB2 type drive.
cheers
Graeme

mine is not a USB 2.0 but it is a 3.0
Internal NVME 16 GIGABYTES per second max transfer rate (nearly fell over when I read that)
Internal SATAIII 750 megabytes per second max transfer rate
External USB3 625 megabytes per second max transfer rate
Hard drives are also dependent upon spin rates 7200 vs 5400rpm and external drives while more likely to be of the slower type are also dependent on the quality of the cable. A very large USB3 thumb drive would be more reliable and faster.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Back