TRS19 - Early Access Is Coming!

As far as the sneak peak goes
Not the slightest bit interested in any built in routes - never used one

Are there any major changes in Surveyor to make route building a bit easier
Besided the 5mtr grid option there has been no real change in tools available for landscaping / terrain forming
It's always been a bit like trying to build a model rail layout using real world construction equipment
Whether you want to take a little bit of terrain out or put a little bit in it's always the same big chunks that result

I've been waiting patiently for TRS2019 to be released; and now it's just 5 days away (luckily I live in Brisbane).

Now I can't wait to test this baby out. But I'm really interested in the depth of graphics that is built-in, which could put Trainz at the top of the market.

Congratulations to you Tony, to your team and all those beta-testers. who have contributed so much effort to bring this great product to all train-lovers.

Cheers,
Roy

+1 You want to scream it out! lol

I've even ordered a Gigabyte Aorous GTX 1080TI for it to celebrate, hopefully it will arrive sometime next week, got it ordered from the local PC shop down the road, Cheaper than online....
Not sure whether to put it in the i7 or Ryzen Rig the CPU's are pretty matched for gaming, decisions, decisions ;o) Already got a pair of new monitors, the old ones are knocking on ten years old and getting a bit dim!

+1!

I hope your video card comes in soon.

I run mine against an older 5930 processor and it holds up well even with SP3.

I just retired some old CRTs like that. They made their way from PC to PC to a server setup then finally now to the recycling center. They too were going on probably 15 years old now. I still wish for the clarity of the old NEC and Hitachi CRTs, but we no longer have that even with the better LED displays. What I don't miss is their huge footprint and heft behind them.

TRS2019 looks really promising. As a cautious type I think I will hang off for general release (plus I like to add the DVDs to my Trainz releases collection. I have the full collection registered, despite what my timeline for some reason says. A download just doesn't appeal) .

I really hope that the improvements to the Base/Built-in contents match the advertised improvements in the graphics engine. My past observation is that every new release of Trainz leans more on the engine updates, and less on the unrestricted included content (ie, please NOT!!!! more supplied Payware because you got the deluxe pack - sure, deluxe pack routes can be payware, but any thing they reference should be unrestricted content also available via the DLS - so annoying as a route-builder who is trying to keep to NV3 supplied content to find others can't access the assets that came with your "deluxe" build).

Having said that, still very much looking forward to the new release. Past experience says it will not deliver everything I'd hoped for, but it will deliver stuff I didn't know I wanted.

Phil

Last edited:
clam1952 -
+1 You want to scream it out! lol

I've even ordered a Gigabyte Aorous GTX 1080TI for it to celebrate

This is a sentiment I heartily understand.
If not for the latest and greatest Trainz iteration, why else would you have an excuse to upgrade your GPU?!

Bring it on!!!

The king is dead....long live the King

Yes. Tane was quite a journey. Now I'm thinking parallels with Windows XP and Vista: looks as though tr19 will merely linger in the shadow of TANE until reality intrudes and we get the equivalent of Win7, ie something that actually builds on the achievement of TANE. There is very little in tr19 to distinguish it from TANE. As for the teaser, same shiny clear air as in all the teasers for previous versions of Trainz. Yet the fact is that the TANE world can exhibit a remarkably full atmosphere when there is some mistiness, say before and after weather events, especially when there are long vistas in view. I have managed to sustain this effect by removing the rain events, so that the atmosphere will mist from time to time and in a variety of terrains.

I think we will find that TRS19 takes up where T:ANE leaves off. Tony has stated that it is built on the T:ANE platform, so with that as its basis I fully expect TRS19 to be at least as stable, with comparable like for like performance to SP3 and heavily rejigged graphics. It sounds promising to have our T:ANE built in and DLC routes available and according to today's email, a huge number of new routes included. We perhaps have had a teaser of a fraction of what it will launch with. No matter what we get, I doubt that I'll be disappointed.
cheers
Graeme

... There is very little in tr19 to distinguish it from TANE. ...

There is quite a lot of stuff that is different. One thing I can talk about is Physically Based Rendering (PBR) as that was available in the TrainzDev version (i.e. no NDA). Assets that are made with PBR materials look very different to those made with the older materials and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. There is a lot of new stuff coming out with this technology in the gaming industry.

The problem is that Trainz assets with PBR will be a while coming. I can't say what will be delivered with TRS19 but I am aware of several creators who have built or are building PBR assets.

Let's hope that PBR is user manageable. While that can create reports from users who become confused a "ons-size-fits-all" with any pictorial rendering is asking for complaints.

What gets rendered is determined by the content config, "trainz-build 4.5" no PBR, "trainz-build 4.6" PBR if setup for it.

... There is very little in tr19 to distinguish it from TANE.
Better clean your crystal ball. From what I've seen, it looks very good.
As for the teaser, same shiny clear air as in all the teasers for previous versions of Trainz. Yet the fact is that the TANE world can exhibit a remarkably full atmosphere when there is some mistiness, say before and after weather events, especially when there are long vistas in view. I have managed to sustain this effect by removing the rain events, so that the atmosphere will mist from time to time and in a variety of terrains.
Which goes to show that the creator and user of the route can decide what kind of look to give it. A Train for all seasons.

I do hope that TRS2019 allows the user to save advanced graphics settings, as opposed to what happens in TANE when they revert to the simple default each time you start the game. If they make that much of an improvement, I shouldn't have to spend 10 minutes whenever I start the game copying them back in from notes on a piece of paper...

Not sure which settings you are referring to Vern? My launcher and in-game graphics settings never change.

I suspect it might be the post-processing settings Tony - I've seen these reset in T:ANE quite often after closing the post processing box.

Shane

What settings don't survive a save? Just changed one existing session to a rainy day, lots of wind and rough water. The Post Process is also up to the max along with tree detail and scenery detail. Ran the session, saved, exited TANE and when I went back to the session, all was as I left it. This in SP3. Naturally the route was not affected since I might want to have winter day or a summer night etc for other sessions.

PS, don't think it is breaking NDA but the same thing happens in TRS19

Do you mean the Performance tab and its settings? I've maxed them all and checked every box (just to see how far I can push it) and they have all stayed where I put them through all restarts and upgrades. Perhaps some intermediate values are not stable?

Back