Signal Display Progression

NS_Engr

I'm fairly new to TANE (SP3), but not new to railroad operations. I spent 32 years as an
engineer.

My questions revolve around the use of a signal on a main line track that controls entry into a industry or yard. The particular signal I refer to is the signal that controls
whether you enter the industry/yard track, or continue on the main line, at the Fogerty's End industry. In this case, the main line signal preceding entry into the Industry displayed a "Med. Clear" aspect (appearance). This is normally a "Crossover" indication signal (Med. Clear/30mph or Limited Clear/45mph).

While running the Kickstarter County/Morning Run route from the Main Yard to the Fogerty's End industry for the very first time, I passed an App. Med. signal and continued, and slowed down to 30 mph expecting to see a Med. Clear or Med.App. signal next. The next signal was in fact a Med. Clear signal, BUT, the track was lined up for the Industry and not the Main Line.

The correct sequence for entering a yard/industry from a Main Line if it is a remote controlled switch:

Mainline Distant (or Approach) Signal: Approach aspect
Yard/Industry entry point : Restricting Aspect

On to the question:

Did the author set up the signal progression like this, or was it in some way a limitation of TANES, either in the coding, or TANES didn't have the correct signal available to
display?

Now that I've run the Morning Run a number of times, I'm know what to expect. But I was just curious as to whether or not I should expect this situation on other runs.

Thanks,
Mike

The use of Invisible Signals should be used on 90% of a route, as not all tracks and turnouts are wired with lit up signals, especially in yards and industries, but Invisible Signals will help guide AI Trainz along the way, telling them that a line ahead is clear, or not

Perhaps the switch machine or signal was installed wrong

Last edited:
The signals used on Kickstarter Country are the oldest available for TANE. They were first introduced in the original Trainz. The more recent ones, such as the searchlight signals used on the Hinton Division, use JointedRail's 'Smart Signal' script, which is closer, in my opinion, to the realistic signals. They're available on the Download Station. Type norfolksouthern37 into search box, click on username, and search. He's made searchlights, safetran 3-aspect signals, and signals in the style of the Southern. RRSignal has made a more complex signal script for his signals, all of which start with 'RRS'. Justinroth also made signals using RRSignal's 'Super Signal' script. RRSignal made tri-light signals, Norfolk and Western PL (Position Light) and CPL (Color Position Light), Pennsylvania PL (Position Light) signals, Amtrak PL signals, and several more. Justinroth made some Safetran signals, along with Norfolk Southern's Vader Safetran Signals, and others. Also, the third party company, JointedRail, who have their own section of the Forums, also have some more searchlight and semaphore signals made by another creator, wearsprada, and tri-light signals made by ryanstrains, another creator. They have a bunch of great stuff on the website. If you want to know how the signals I listed work, here's a link to a thread on the Forums:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?129357-US-Signals-101-(And-Maybe-other-regions)-(Warning-Screenshots)
Here's a link to a thread made by RRSignal announcing his Super Signals:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?123383-RRS-SuperSignals
And here's a link to the thread made by RRSignal announcing his Norfolk and Western, Pennsylvania, and Amtrak position light and color position light signals:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?130256-PRR-Amtrak-and-N-amp-W-SuperSignals
And here's justinroth announcing his signals and his other creations:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?123612-Justin-Roth-s-Freeware&highlight=justinroth
I wish you the best of luck in the world of Trainz.

Thank you both for your replies. I'll take a look at the other signal format links when I can. I forgot that AI trains run on the line as well and can understand the reasoning for having less signals required fir them, but realistically it's not correct.

We welcome your suggestions and recommendations. If you post something over in the Jointed Rail forum, maybe Justin Cornell the one who created many signals for their routes can take up some of the recommendations with his scripted signals. The unfortunate part though is some of the restrictions we're coming across maybe due to the limitations of the AI and the scripting, but being Trainz someone always finds a workaround somehow along the way.

Jointed Rail has designated their signals by type, whether this is prototypical or not, it makes understanding what signal you want to use for a specific situation much easier to find:

There are Right (R) and Left (L) designations for the signals referring to which side of the tracks they default to for the direction of travel. With the more recent SL-series signals, there is also head variations with right, center, left.

Type 01 and Type 04: Absolute signals. With the current SL-series signals, there is also a Type 04 with a doll arm.
Type 05: Permissive signals
Type 06: Diverging. The older Searchlight-series also have LD versus RD designations, which means the default signal designation; Left diverge / Right diverge. Outwardly they look the same so the only way to tell the difference between them is to get them in Surveyor, or observe their operation in Driver. There is also a Type 06 with a doll arm in the new SL-series.

Type 08: Interlocking 3-light) signals. Again right/center/left head positions.

and finally some Distant/Advance signals. These are marked Type 06d. There are some with staggered heads or straight on.

All signals here, but the Type 06d and Type 08s have corresponding dwarfs.

The older Searchlight-series is compatible with the above signals and contains others that the SL-series do not such as gantry signals, and heads only for mounting on the backs of other signals.

Railroad Signal and Justin Roth who uses Railroad Signal's scripts, implement a different signal scheme. These signals are not directly compatible with the Jointed Rail signals, and cannot be be used interchangeably due to unpredictable operations.

Railroadsignal models the older GRS and US&S colored-light signals found on the old northeastern railroads such as the Reading, Erie, Boston and Maine and others. Just to touch on his signals a bit, using his SL3s as an example.

The signals are essentially divided into two types; interlocking or distant, a distant signal designated fully-scripted, can be altered during session setup to conform to any kind of signal. A signal head permissive (distant) signal can lose its plate and become an absolute signal, for example. RRS also designates his signals by number of heads/lights. An SL3 3-3-3(i) type signal is a 3-head interlocking signal. Catenary signals are used on gantries.

Hope this helps you get a handle on which signals to use.

Last edited:
Back