transferring trainz a new era to a bigger drive

tlittle10ny

Hi All,
I have the above on a small hard drive on my PC. The PC also has a 1 Tb drive. As my small drive is running out of space, I am trying to transfer the program to the large drive. How do I do this please?

Tony

Welcome to the forums, tlittle10ny.
There are quite a few recent threads on the T:ANE forum that will show you the steps to take to easily and safely accomplish the task of transferring your Trainz program and Userdata files to another Hard Disk Drive.
Here's one current example:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...E-with-all-of-it-s-content-to-my-second-drive

My recommendation is to COPY your current T:ANE files and folders to the larger drive and to set it up so that it is functioning properly and to your satisfaction before blowing away the existing T:ANE files on your C: drive.

The good news is that with most Trainz versions, you don't need to worry about System Registry settings, so copying and pasting works a treat - and is the best way to back up your installation to boot.
Keeping it simple also helps:
Suggest creating a TANE folder on your largest, fastest drive with sufficient space - say D:\TANE.
Then create a subdirectory called 'Userdata' (or similar) inside your D:\TANE folder. (Thus; D:\TANE\Userdata - or similar).
Locate and COPY all of your current user data folders and files into the new Userdata sub-directory on D: (or wherever).
In a similar fashion, COPY all of the existing T:ANE program files and folders to the new folder at D:\TANE.
Follow the instructions in the linked post above to get the executable to work as a startup shortcut, and complete the Trainz Settings dialog parameters to suit your needs and log-in authentication settings, etc. in the T:ANE Launcher to get things running smoothly once again.

Last edited:
I did the same just recently. My C:\ drive had all my other programs installed there too. So when I found TANE was taking ages to load, I first did a fresh install of TANE SP3 on my D:\ drive which had 1 TB of unused memory sitting there.

Once that was in place and functioning easily, I began creating cdp files of the 'good' routes from the C: drive onto an expansion portable drive, then uploaded them onto the D:\ drive.

Now I have a smoothly running TANE program with no errors or warnings, which I'll keep for all my special routes.

It's a simple matter now to delete the routes I've copied, freeing up valuable space on the C:\ drive; and now I can work on salvaging what I can or deleting them completely.

Cheers,
Roy

thank you PC ACE. I followed the instructions as you suggested and successfully copied to my large drive. However, when I started the program it asked me to type in the product code. I have the serial number from when I purchase it and typed this in, but it told me it was invalid. I presume that the serial key and product key are the same thing, if not how do I find the product key?
Tony Little

Back