Not such a newbie with a peeve

I like the "kinder, and gentler, nice, warm, fuzzy, cosy, side " of Cascaderailroad.

You have hit the nail on the head.

... And there is no one human being checking the thousands of daily uploads, for quality ... an automated check is done by the N3V site computer, and if all the stuff in the asset are in proper order and configuration, it is installed on the DLS by an automated computer checking for errors, and trainz-build ... not by a human being ... so anyone can upload a texture named: "Poo", and it is there on the DLS

Even if it is only dozens of uploads, on a slow day, and not thousands then someone (not an algorithm) would have to check each one to find the "aesthetic" rubbish - tracks going off cliffs, or driving into mountains, etc. I don't know how big the CSX Henderson Hub is in terms of the number of baseboards but someone would have to have checked them individually to find such a fault - is there an App for that?. How would an algorithm search for the word "Poo" or "Sh*t" painted (in the texture, not as text) onto the side of a building in any one of hundreds of languages? Multiply that by every upload then watch the complaints coming in about how long it takes to get an upload approved.

Who would want that job? I see some hands going up already but for how many assets would your enthusiasm last? And what about the complaints of "discrimination", "bias", "cultural insensitivity", "elitism", etc that would be thrown at you?

In my humble opinion the best solutions are on the user side of the download link.

Just had a look and CSX Henderson Sub is a TRS2006 route. It is likely that the OP didn't realise that you could set the build of an asset to show in CM or that he was not aware of the significance of the build. I think providing that N3V ensure that mobile versions always use a different build number to PC versions that is the best they can do.

Ken

"Then make a bridge" you say. The OP also states that he isn't very good at making a bridge. I attempted to make a bridge. Unless you know what bridge you are in need of, and can find, you'll be sitting there a while.

As Alikiwi said, "So far 75% are rubbish in my experience and 25% are good to excellent" and I would concur. Those aren't very good odds when you are trying to get people to buy your sim, and download the payware, and pay for a download ticket.

I'm back to reading...and running trains.

So many of those old routes can be quite easily fixed,others are harder , Timber ridge comes to mind, lots of troublesome tunnels on that route, it was headache to replace them all, but , if you are only missing one bridge, the thing to do ( and this is how i got into route building), is just find a bridge spline or something close and drop it in there, it only take a few minutes. Bang, the route is usable.

What REALLY is a drag is when the track is obsolete or missing and the whole route needs the track reinstalled ( theres a work round but it would not work for me ) but early on, I relaid the track on the entire Rollins pass DRGW route as i wanted to run locos on it. It aldos teaches you a great deal about how the program works and how other people make routes.

'Those aren't very good odds when you are trying to get people to buy your sim, and download the payware, and pay for a download ticket"

yes, NV3 need to explain the Dls situation more fully to new purchasers, who really have no idea how it all works , took me quite a while to figure out the fact that assets can be made by anyone,with varying skill levels. in general after a while you work out who does great stuff ( or allows reskinning ) and you grab anything they make.

People who buy a I10 Quantum Processor PC should not expect it to be able to run a Floppy Disc drive ... nor be able to run Atari Missile Command on a ROG 4.7GHz laptop

Last edited:
yes, NV3 need to explain the Dls situation more fully to new purchasers, who really have no idea how it all works , took me quite a while to figure out the fact that assets can be made by anyone,with varying skill levels. in general after a while you work out who does great stuff ( or allows reskinning ) and you grab anything they make.

May I suggest that you add to the very bare bones Trainz Wiki page on this subject at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Download_an_Asset_from_the_Download_Station. That's probably the best way to get the information out.

PS: Updating the Wiki is a lot easier than it looks - it just takes some time and thought.

May I suggest that you add to the very bare bones Trainz Wiki page on this subject at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Download_an_Asset_from_the_Download_Station. That's probably the best way to get the information out.
PS: Updating the Wiki is a lot easier than it looks - it just takes some time and thought.
Unfortunately all my spare time is spent route building , also I think it’s really up to NV3 to provide that basic info, the hundreds of hours wasted by me due to their lack of documentation doesn’t make me feel that I should do their job for them , after all , it’s in their interests to make the game an enjoyable experience, not an endurance test :-(

Just to check this out, I just downloaded and installed <kuid2:107727:1022:2> CSX Henderson Sub from the DLS and there are three missing dependencies:-

<kuid2:7592:52784:7>
<kuid2:68787:100904:3>
<kuid:407646:12001>

.. and one faulty asset

<kuid2:76096:100199:1> US Level Crossing Tower

... which has 11 warnings and 8 errors - the latter are all VE194: Tag 'texture-kuid' does not contain a valid kuid: null. The "View Help for this [error message]" option in TANE goes to a page that has the totally contradictory and illogical message "There is currently no text for this page"

Since finding missing assets and fixing that error is not my idea of enjoying a hobby, I will trash the layout and the faulty asset but the installed and working assets that came with the download might be useful.

Perhaps the OP might do the same and learn from the experience.

The first kuid you mentioned is "tprcsxdetector2"; which was available on TPR

you all could go a bit easier on the op, note he has only 6 posts, obviously a new user. I am sure given a bit of time he will learn how to replace or or find missing objects.

Cheers,
Bill69

Here is a summary of the points raised in another thread on what to look for before you download a route.

Thumbnail:

• is a thumbnail present? One of those "This is NOT a thumbnail" thumbnails does not count as a "thumbnail".
  • is the thumbnail is a screenshot that does not show the grid lines?
  • does the thumbnail contain a text label (this shows that the creator cares enough to at least add a title)?

Route Description:

• is there a full description of the route?
  • does the description give some indication of the contents such as "all assets are on the DLS", "speed trees are/are not used", etc
  • If 3rd party assets are present, does the description tell you where to find them?

Other Information/Support:

• Does the creator care enough to post an announcement message in the Freeware forum?
  • Are screenshots available, e.g. in the Trainz Gallery, screenshots forum or in the Freeware Forum?
  • Does the creator respond to questions about his/her route?

There is no point score for any of these checklist items and no minimum number to "achieve" before you can decide what is worthwhile downloading and what is not.

Agreed...
Takes hardly any time to do this compared to the time devoted in the route creation. ALL routes should include at lease two of the points raised.

Not sure why this 18 month old thread has been resurrected (perhaps due to the covid lockdown) but it has been a "hoot" re-reading all those posts - the angst, frustrations, old wounds being re-opened, etc. I had completely forgotten about it but it shows that some issues will always be with us.

Keep Well.

The first kuid you mentioned is "tprcsxdetector2"; which was available on TPR

[QUOTE/]<kuid2:76096:100199:1> US Level Crossing Tower

... which has 11 warnings and 8 errors - the latter are all VE194: Tag 'texture-kuid' does not contain a valid kuid: null. The "View Help for this [error message]" option in TANE goes to a page that has the totally contradictory and illogical message "There is currently no text for this page"

Since finding missing assets and fixing that error is not my idea of enjoying a hobby, I will trash the layout and the faulty asset but the installed and working assets that came with the download might be useful.
[/QUOTE]

Easy to fix. Open the config.txt file and delete those lines. Save, close and submit.

The layout, well that's old and could be updated if one wants. A few missing dependencies and a single faulty asset are no reason to trash a route. A check around usually shows that 99.99999% of the missing dependencies in this case are a tree or a building that can be replaced. If anything if the OP is willing to do some homework and ask politely, people will help him just as many of us have over nearly 20 years that Trainz has existed.

Not sure why this 18 month old thread has been resurrected (perhaps due to the covid lockdown) but it has been a "hoot" re-reading all those posts - the angst, frustrations, old wounds being re-opened, etc. I had completely forgotten about it but it shows that some issues will always be with us.

Keep Well.

I often wonder if it is accidental or intentional, when posts over 1 or 2 years old get dug up ... It's kinda a shame this thread was not locked or deleted back in the OP days.

RE: This thread should have been locked.
Agreed, if a post has not been responded to within 60/90 (maybe even 30) days it should be locked. The software likely has that option. Many forums do.

I don't know if I would agree with that.

True, some old threads can be "resurrected" by mistake when the new poster does not realise that the post he/she is responding to is months or even years old and that the rest of us have moved on - I have fallen for that!. But it is also true that some issues either "never die" or a new aspect of an old problem has been discovered - in which case it can be useful having all the old posts on that issue in the one thread rather than starting all over again.

For the moment at least, I would vote to keep the old threads still accessible for new posts.

Back