Piriform CCleaner

terry_wagstaff

Hi all

I have used Piriform CCleaner for years. A recent update appeared to have caused a problem.

I remember that a directory needs to be excluded from the cleanup to keep TANE happy. Stupidly I did not note the directory before deleting CCleaner.

Can any one remind me please?

Thanks

Terry

Allot of "Cleaners" (some freeware, and brand name payware Antivirus, ie: AVG, Norton, Mcafee ... etc ...) actually do more harm, than good ... I use Glary Utilities freeware

What directory is that you speak of ?
It is the one where TANE stores information for startup other than the assets. I believe, from memory, it is in the users directory somewhere.

I use CCleaner to delete cookies. Never found it harmful - never use the Registry cleaner option.

Terry

It is the one where TANE stores information for startup other than the assets. I believe, from memory, it is in the users directory somewhere.

I use CCleaner to delete cookies. Never found it harmful - never use the Registry cleaner option.

Terry

Terry,

The directory you are wondering about is C:\Users\{your login}\App Data\Local\com.n3vgames.tane. This is where the redirect file is located as well as the menu position settings.

This was a problem with past versions. C-Cleaner doesn't have that problem any longer and I too have used it for years. In fact I use it once a week during my system maintenance schedule, clearing cookies, etc. The registry cleaner doesn't seem to bother things either anymore as well. I use that periodically to clean out old installs that didn't clean up after themselves and have left their layer of junk.

Last edited:
Many are now binning CCleaner due to its data mining. Since Avast took it over the trust in piriform has been destroyed.

CCleaner provokes fury over Active Monitoring, user data collection | ZDNet
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/115251-ccleaner-provokes-fury-over-active-monitoring-user-data-collection.html

HD Cleaner works as well as CCleaner without the Avast baggage.

Deleted it here and I've been a user since day one when it was CrapCleaner.

Thanks Malc!

That's good to know and I will ditch it.

It figures that Avast would do that to a perfectly good working program, which has been tried and true for years.

But before I do uninstall, does it matter if you don't use the active features and only run it manually? I never did that active montoring garbage or other run at startup stuff.

But before I do uninstall, does it matter if you don't use the active features and only run it manually? I never did that active montoring garbage or other run at startup stuff.

It's been ignoring user settings and turning monitoring on when rebooting and reappears in startup, I got sick of disabling it on three PC's every day, they are allegedly fixing it but I have no confidence that it won't reappear or Avast won't add some other annoyance to it, I've been using the slim version that comes out a week after the main release as that used to avoid these issues and attempts to foist Avast on you however that's been enabling monitoring as well last couple of builds.
The reason I dumped Avast was it ignoring my exclusions after every update.

It's been ignoring user settings and turning monitoring on when rebooting and reappears in startup, I got sick of disabling it on three PC's every day, they are allegedly fixing it but I have no confidence that it won't reappear or Avast won't add some other annoyance to it, I've been using the slim version that comes out a week after the main release as that used to avoid these issues and attempts to foist Avast on you however that's been enabling monitoring as well last couple of builds.
The reason I dumped Avast was it ignoring my exclusions after every update.

Ok... Thanks I'll uninstall and go for the other program then.

I don't blame you for dumping.

The problem isn't with it's cleaning, it's with it collecting your data! Probably as in what you delete and when and it repeatedly adding itself to startup to monitor your actions when you have not selected or disabled that function, the latest version, which Piriform have now pulled due to the massive amount of complaints didn't even have that option. If you are happy with yet another application phoning home all the time then so be it. ;o)

Thanks again for the recommendation of the alternative product.

I gave it a whirl yesterday and it does an okay job. I discovered, though, I need to do stuff in small chunks because it pulled a CTD a couple of time in Windows 10. Oops!

Once I figured out that, I did it in smaller chunks and go things cleaned up. I like the manual control over things in this program because I can now control and view what's being cleaned unlike other applications which give a spiel about stuff being removed, but there's only a big green button to do so.

The problem isn't with it's cleaning, it's with it collecting your data! Probably as in what you delete and when and it repeatedly adding itself to startup to monitor your actions when you have not selected or disabled that function, the latest version, which Piriform have now pulled due to the massive amount of complaints didn't even have that option. If you are happy with yet another application phoning home all the time then so be it. ;o)

I'm just using the free version and I have the E.T. phone home crap turned off;)

I'm just using the free version and I have the E.T. phone home crap turned off;)

Might be OK if you haven't installed the last two updates, I had it turned off as well but it got turned on again.

Don't trust Avast to not be up to their usual tricks.

Back