Real Life Hobo

Never in my lifetime would I ever witness a hobo (transient) proudly advertising riding on board a freight train. After all of those I Love Toy Train shows, books, magazines, videos, films, clips, Polar Express, and even bed time stories for the kids, one comes along and has a YouTube channel with a 4K camera displaying their illegal activity. It's a wonder how they're not on all the railroad police departments APB board.

Never in my lifetime would I ever witness a hobo (transient) proudly advertising riding on board a freight train. After all of those I Love Toy Train shows, books, magazines, videos, films, clips, Polar Express, and even bed time stories for the kids, one comes along and has a YouTube channel with a 4K camera displaying their illegal activity. It's a wonder how they're not on all the railroad police departments APB board.

He's basically saying "Hey, look at me! Look what I can do and get away with!" If I saw him, I'd immediately call the police. And if anyone on here is crazy enough to think about doing this DON'T DO IT!

This is one of the dumbest things to post on YouTube!

Why?

Because others will get the idea and end up getting killed or at the minimum cut up pretty bad. Think about that 13 year-old girl that did that recently.

My dad grew up in the Bronx not far from the joint New Haven and New York Central yard. The New Haven used to run freights under wire at the time, as did the Penn Central and the early days of Conrail. Anyway in 1941 or so, a friend of his came running from the freight yards all covered in soot and had nasty burns on his hands and face. This guy and his other friend were climbing on the boxcars and the other friend lost his balance when the boxcar lurched while being coupled. When he lost his balance, he reached up and got zapped by the catenary above due to being in close proximity to the 11KV 20hz AC, now 25KV 60hz.

My dad's buddy that came running tried to pull his friend down, but got zapped too but not as badly, though he was badly burned. They found their other friend somewhere down the tracks in New Rochelle where his body traveled to before it fell off the train.

I know this is horrific, and gross, but it nails it down how dangerous it is to play around railroads. Railroads are not a safe environment to play around. There are numerous other videos of people getting hurt and some caught doing this, and I hope these idiots get caught! The crews and families ultimately pay the price for the stupid moves that these people do.

Some Hobos are a group of office yuppies, who on their weekends off they ride the rails ... Most Hobos are criminals, or homeless, some are dangerous FRTA gang members, most railcar taggers are thieves who steal spray paint, and are "Huffers" and drug addicts ... riding the rails doesn't look that fun or comfortable, in the heat, cold, rain and snow, staying down low to avoid being seen ... surely you would be smelly and dirty as a homeless person

I have met several, some are just lost persons

One related that a sadistic RR employee purposely slammed and locked the boxcar door for hours, trapping him inside in the sweltering heat

One was onboard a train (CAPI), and asked me when the train was leaving ... I told him, not anytime soon ... possibly tonight, or tomorrow, or in the wee hours of the morning ... I didn't report him, as riding was up to him, getting hurt

Last edited:
I used to throw rocks at them when I was young! Not that anyone should do that! That was many moons ago.
Dean

Last edited:
Back