Win10 Download problem with Content

Heinrich505

I recently got a new computer and of course it only comes with Win10. I'm running TANE SP3 on it.

Yesterday I tried to download some freeware from the JR site, and the items showed up in my downloads file. However, when I went to drag the items into content manager, it wouldn't let me. Double clicking on the cdp file also did nothing. I was able to load content into my content manager with no problems in the past. I had no problems with downloads from JR when using Win7. I am probably doing something wrong, but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had suggestions. I am using Kaspersky for protection, but had no problems previously from it.

The one engine file was zipped, so I used WinZip to open it to a folder. The cdp files were in the folder, but I had no luck dragging them into content manager and double clicking on them did not load them into my game either.

If I open the cdp file and right click on it, I get some options to open it, but the default is Internet Explorer ImpExp FF Exporter, or I am told to search the internet or my computer for other choices to open the file. Clicking on Internet Explorer ImpExp FF Exporter doesn't work. I'm thinking I don't need to open it, but just get content manager to accept it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone else had this sort of problem with Win10?

Heinrich505

I can’t really help you sadly as I’m a Mac user ( sadly too lol ) but have you tried to import content via the CM ?

MF01,
No, have not tried to import anything. Not sure how to do that, but I am willing to learn and/or try it.

Heinrich505

An image is worth a thousand words :wave: ( if that doesn't work too try to use Google Chrome or Firefox ):

CcV2mf3.png

The cdp files were in the folder, but I had no luck dragging them into content manager and double clicking on them did not load them into my game either.

That's the wrong way to do it, because it relies on settings in your operating system that Trainz has no control over.

From Content Manager, select File \ Import Content Files... Navigate to the download folder , select the .cdp files to be imported and click Open.

If the files are zipped then you need to unzip them first to get to the .cdp files.

Well, okay, so I found the import content command :) and imported the content for the KCS SD60 engine. It seemed to work, and after finding and reverting all the open for edit files, the engine showed installed - Modified.

However, I can't find that bugger in game anywhere, not under KCS or EMD SD60 or just plain SD60. I find an SD60 CN but nothing for KCS.

Baffled. :confused: The KCS SD60 shows installed but it's missing or maybe morphed into the CN engine.

But, thanks MF01 for the importing suggestion. I think that is how I will have to do things with Win10. Not as ideal as I was able to do in the past, but it seems to work.

Heinrich505

Thanks also to SailorDan. MF01, that was a really nice image. I am using Google Chrome. Just not very happy with Win10.

Yep, made sure the files were unzipped first. Very much appreciate the suggestions and assistance. Now, just can't find the bloody engine.

You’re welcome but keep in mind that Win 10 and T:ANE have a thing in common: both are buggy and unfinished lol but yeah forget about IE and what do you mean you can’t find the engine ?

Well, third time's the charm??? I re-imported all three engine files, reverted all the open for edit files, and low and behold, this time it showed up. I've no idea why the first few times didn't work.

Thanks again to both of you for the importing content suggestion. I really appreciate it.

Heinrich505

However, I can't find that bugger in game anywhere, not under KCS or EMD SD60 or just plain SD60. I find an SD60 CN but nothing for KCS.

Baffled. :confused: The KCS SD60 shows installed but it's missing or maybe morphed into the CN engine.

Heinrich505

Newly installed content sometimes winds up at the bottom of the list. Closing and reopening the game usually fixes that.

Matt

MF01 and SailorDan, Thanks for another tip I did not know! I have always used the drag and drop method, and it has worked well enough, but I could only drag one at a time, and I better be careful to wait until my fan slows down after each one or I can crash my computer. In fact any large CDP files (over 100MB) may crash it anyway! Does it work better to use the import function? I had never noticed it before!

I have always used the drag and drop method, and it has worked well enough, but I could only drag one at a time, and I better be careful to wait until my fan slows down after each one or I can crash my computer.
Drag and drop and double-click will both work if you are prepared to get down and dirty with the OS, and also to fix things when they get changed on you.

Firstly, make sure that the Trainz data folder is in a location that is not secured: that is, all users have full access. There are no executables in the data folder, so it is safe to put it anywhere.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content

Then use the W10 utility to associate the cdp filename extension with the Trainz application. You can find the Trainz executable by looking at the Properties of the menu item or desktop shortcut used to start the application.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs

FYI....

If content is in a folder that's not in the protected path, you can drag the folder that contains CDP files into Content Manager.

As far as the 100 MB issue, I found increasing the size of my page files gets around that issue. This has been a problem since day one.

Technically (at least for Windows) Trainz does have control over the double-click action for CDPs (via file associations). It may vary for Macs though.

Shane

Technically (at least for Windows) Trainz does have control over the double-click action for CDPs (via file associations).
No it doesn't. Any application can claim the filename extension at any time. There is no mechanism in Windows for preventing the change.

Back